I SEE A RED STAR Why?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by shilines, Dec 7, 2023.

1. shilines

shilines Active Member

Hello Collectors,
    This is my first time creating a thread in the paper money category, but I received a dollar bill back in change that I found rather interesting. The first thing I noticed was a piece of red over the green seal which is not common on a dollar. When I took a closer look it was actually a red star!!! I did some research and found absolutely nothing . I chalked it up by saying perhaps some six year old got a little stamp pad collection of various symbols for their birthday and tried out the first stamp which was a star on a crispy dollar bill lol. But before I put it in the quarter change machine at the laundry mat I decided to check with you all first! IMG_20231207_091653_MP~2.jpg IMG_20231207_091705_MP~2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

Looks drawn on to me. Some kid had fun with the markers :writer:. This is not an error. :)

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. shilines

shilines Active Member

Yeah maybe so, but it will take a pretty steady hand to draw a star that perfectly with no error as far as going out side the line of the star! Thanks for your input

5. shilines

shilines Active Member

Could be a newly discovered error. I'm being optimistic forgive me!

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

There’s absolutely no red ink within a hundred yards of the printing of these notes. It’s definitely been added to the note long after it left the BEP.

7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Look closer. A part does go out of the lines. Altered note. Show it around and let someone want to buy it. Then sell it to them and make them happy.
    It's the Holidays. :D

Kentucky and Inspector43 like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Definitely added after it left the BEP.

Inspector43 likes this.
  9. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Mabey the sec did it. He is just learning to print and doesn't yet know how to write in cursive to sign his name. He might have been trying crayons.

JPD3 and Collecting Nut like this.
  10. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Would like to see the reverse of the note
    for bleed thru but it sure doesn’t look original to me.

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It’s just altered. Although your optimism is understandable if you don’t know how these are made.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

There is no bleed through as the notes have no red ink.

13. shilines

shilines Active Member

I think I'll hang on to it though for the hell of it. Thanks guys

masterswimmer likes this.
  14. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Hence the beauty of collecting what YOU like. I applaud you for your sticktoitiveness.

I agree with all the other responses, except needing to see the reverse. So keeping it will cost you a whopping $1. Conserve it in a sleeve. View it when you get the urge. And enjoy it knowing you paid face value for it.

Your hobby. Your way.

Happy holidays to you @shilines

shilines and eddiespin like this.
  15. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Very good advice!
    Like Burger Kings NEW slogan goes, " You Rule!". :)

16. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Looks like it was drawn with a highliter. Some people mark their notes and put them into circulation just to see if it ever gets back to them.

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'm all for that. But not for misleading oneself on what one has, that's never good.

masterswimmer likes this.
  18. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Agreed. Although the reality of it is, believing/misleading oneself does no harm to anyone, including oneself. So keeping it is nothing more than a tiny bit of clutter. No harm, no foul. Enjoy the conversation piece.

Elaine-Benes-and-Jerry-Seinfeld-Shrug.gif

eddiespin likes this.
  19. OldDogEyes

OldDogEyes Full of a lot of hot air.

I can relate...

been addicted to WheresGeorge for close to 20 years... (http://www.WheresGeorge.com)

And yes, I've gotten my own notes back in circulation. Longest was about two years between the time that I originally spent it and got it back.

20. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

I used to do where's george, wow I didn't even know that was still a thing

21. OldDogEyes

OldDogEyes Full of a lot of hot air.

Yeah, still going strong. I've been playing for quite a while and it's still a ton of fun to see a bill that you spent turn up in a cool place.

I just had a bill go from Colorado to Antarctica:
    https://www.wheresgeorge.com/b:4ZzT3kMUpu

Draft saved Draft deleted