I purchased my dream coin last night: Santiago Columnario 8 Reales 1768 A

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Eduard, May 30, 2008.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Eduard - the three I would say that are indispensible are those by Emilio Paoletti, Frank Gilboy and Sewall Menzell. These are all fairly new books and will contain the most complete and updated information.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carlos Jara

Carlos Jara Junior Member

Nice coin!

Dear Eduard:
    Congratulations on your acquisition. I believe the following info might be useful to you:

54,101 pieces (with a very few dated 1769) of 8 Reales coins were struck with the 1768 date. Although very low, this is the highest mintage figure for the entire Santiago Mint pillar series. Compare it for example with the 1770 date: 5,347 pieces.

At the time of my publication (2005), I had censed 17 examples of the 1768 date. It's an important coin.

Carlos Jara Moreno

4. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I can't see the pics for some reason? :confused:

Phoenix :cool:

5. GDJMSP

Yeah, it seems there are a few bugs in the system regarding images after this recent update. This is why you can't see the pics -

Warning: fopen([path]/forums/attachments/8/9/5/9/29184.attach) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in [path]/attachment.php on line 261

6. GDJMSP

Eduard -

Can't believe I failed to mention a certain book for you, but given your proclivity for the rare and unusual it is a book you definitely should have. It is The Forgotten Mint of Colonial Panama by Jorge A. Proctor.

If you think the coins of Santiago are rare and hard to find, wait until you look for one of these ;)

7. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Phoenix, i put the pictures up again since they mysteriously dissapeared a few days ago. They are still the ones from the auction house as the coin is still in-transit. Looking at them you will probably wonder what i am getting so worked up about. But, to put it in perspective, Santiago mint 8 reales Columnarios are to Latin American numismatics what 1776 Continental Dollars are to US numismatics, or possibly more.

GDJMSP - thank you again for your advice on the books. I have already located and ordered 2 on that list, and one that wasn't. That was Carlos Jara's book dealing explicitly with Santiago Pillars. Can't wait to read it, specially knowing Carlo's expertise in this area.
    Regards,
    Ed

Attached Files:

8. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

What about this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lasser-book-Cob-Coinage-of-Colombia-on-Colombian-cobs_W0QQitemZ180250002863QQihZ008QQcategoryZ548QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would that one be any good for Eduard?

Ribbit :)

Ps: There were only 150 copies printed of Jorge Proctor's book so finding one is going to be tough! :computer:

9. GDJMSP

It very well may, I am unfamiliar with the book myself.

As for Proctor's book, I have one - they can be found ;)

10. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

I now know who's house to raid for the hard to find books. :D

Ribbit :whistle:

11. GDJMSP

Don't be misled by the numbers of books published. It is actually quite common for only 500 copies or less to be published. Yes that can make them hard to find and rather expensive sometimes. But if you know where to look (like in the Numismatic Resources section ;)) and who to ask they can be found.

And by the way Toad, many of mine are also signed by the authors ;)

12. keano

keano Junior Member

I know nuts about Spanish coins (im into chinese), but i certainly remember the OS. My dealer in Singapore got a same coin for sale a few months ago. I will try to get him to pass me the photos and i will put it up here.
    He was similarly excited when he got that coin from a old collector for quite a tidy sum....

13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

keano, i would really like to see a photo of your dealers coin. I hope that can be arranged.
    Thanks and regards,
    Eduard

14. Freddypm

Freddypm Member

Very cool and interesting coin! Way to go Eduard

15. keano

keano Junior Member

Hi Eduard,

I will be visiting this dealer later. Will get the photos from him. Hopefully will be posting the pics up by the time you see this post.

Congrats on your purchase. Good price too...:smile

Draft saved Draft deleted