I paid $500 for two Carson City Dollar coins

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Doc J, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

It was a big thing for me. It was a 1878 and a 1882. I figure they were around a MS-60.

They both had great definition, and they were the best CC coins that I've ever seen.

I post up some pictures in my light box.

My first buys several years ago where twenty nice Morgan coins for $500. Just saying.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lovecoinswalkingliberty

lovecoinswalkingliberty Well-Known Member

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1878-cc lists for $330
    1882-cc lists for $216
    add up $546
    saved $46
    Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to your photos of the CC morgans. Were the 20 you purchased years ago common dates?

5. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

Thanks,
    I didn't save $46 but spent $500. ;)

I just had to have them.

6. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

I have a light box that was made for revolvers. I'll get the coin pics when photobucket starts working again (yea, it's in a situation).

Yes, the other 20 were purchased several years ago. These are probably AU-50+ in my opinion. I rated them VG then.

I figured out that I need to buy the best one then. And now.

I'll pass on a rare FG-8 and buy an AU/50-AU60. I just like the best preserved coin over a lower grade rare coin. Just me. I fully respect the reverse opinion.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Let's see them. We'll grade them. MS60 isn't the next grade above AU58, but rather the bottom grade of the uncirculated grades, while AU58 is the top of the circulated grades. These are two different ballparks. Let's see them, we'll tell you what you got.

8. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

I am not sure why you started with the AU-58 vs AU-60 thing?

I promise that I have around 100 Morgan coins with good or great presentation. I'll never buy any worn coin. I stated this above.

So, here is my 1878 Carson City with the 1882 Carson City. You can grade them all you want.

Attached Files:

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Sure, no problem. They're AU60...

CoinCorgi likes this.
  10. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

lol

pretty coins btw

eddiespin likes this.
  11. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

I say that you are wrong. I knew it was coming. :D

I have about 0.50% of my assets in gold and silver. I plan to build this allocation up to 1% in the near future.

12. JayF

JayF Active Member

Those are nice coins, not quite into the expensive coins yet but sounds like you know what you're doing. Ignore those who are can't help but get jealous cause they don't have what you have. Thanks for sharing!

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

They're good coins, for what my humble opinion might be worth. If they're a representative example, you're doing something right. ;)

14. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

Many thanks,
    I had a few stacks of Morgan's that I bought many years ago. I finally got them in the cardboard cases with dates and Mint places (today). They were mostly ordinary issue.

I have a personal opinion that the silver coins are at a great value today. It's nothing but my opinion.

I will be attending a local coin show this weekend. I hope to add some higher grade coins to my small collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted