I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by hollie77, Sep 19, 2019.

1. hollie77

hollie77 New Member

I have this Hawaiian "error" coin, supposedly. The only thing that i can find about the exact one that i have is in an article from The Hawaiiana Numismatist posted on 07/26/14. The coin is, according to this article, a really rare bronze mule,that looks to be gold plated possibly. What makes it so rare is that it has the 1883-1983 King Kalakaua Centennial on the obverse but mated with THE HAWAIIAN MINT 1975/ HONOLULU,HAWAII on the reverse. According to this article, the coin was first discovered on auction at Ebay and was the only known coin of this type. I dont know if I have that very coin or if there is actually more than one, or if this coin is even actually real or fake. I am fairly new at this coin collecting having just started a few years ago when i was given my uncles collection after he passed. If anyone has any info at all on this coin or any info on the guy who wrote the article in THE HAWAIIAN NUMISMATIST on 07/26/14 your help would be very appreciated. Unfortunately I do not have a good pic of the coin as i am at work at the moment. However, if you look at the article that i mentioned my coin is exactly the one pictured in 2nd part of article or if I get any replys i will post pics as soon as i get home. Thank you very much.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

You should always post pictures if you are going to ask a question.
    Sounds like your coin is a reproduction if I am reading your post correctly.

hollie77 and PlanoSteve like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Geez! Why can't people wait until they get home to post their thread about some rare coin? Is it because you don't get paid for company time at home?

Chris

PlanoSteve likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I make a nickel. Boss makes a dime. That's why I post my coins on company time...

Tlberg and hollie77 like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No coin listed donit doesn't exist. Welcome to CT.

hollie77 likes this.
  7. hollie77

hollie77 New Member

Sorry it took awhile to post these pics it had taken me a minute to figure out how to do so.

Attached Files:

Tlberg likes this.
  8. hollie77

hollie77 New Member

great rhyme there furryfrog02!!!! Its a good thing I am the boss isnt it? thank you so much for your input.

9. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Tlberg and hollie77 like this.
  10. hollie77

hollie77 New Member

Its not a reproduction. There were no coins meant to be made this way. It is the product of two different coins being mated together. the obverse of one and reverse of another. The Centennial King Kalakaua coin is similar. To my understanding anyway.

11. hollie77

hollie77 New Member

yes it is exactly the article. it is the ONLY thing i can find on this coin anywhere so far. I am also interested in what others may have to share as well. Thank you for taking the time to look at it.

12. hollie77

hollie77 New Member

sorry if i upset you bc i didnt post pics right away. I am new at this forum stuff and i will def. remember to post pics along with my question next time. Good thing I am the boss and can do whatever my happy ass wants to on company time huh?

NOS likes this.
  13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

So is the Hawaiian Mint a private company then? So they can make the coins however they want. Are they legal tender coins, or medal, or tokens?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  14. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Here are a couple that my grandma picked up as a tourist in the 70s...one is dated 1975. PhotoEditor_20190919_212854482.jpg PhotoEditor_20190919_212701135.jpg PhotoEditor_20190919_212522044.jpg PhotoEditor_20190919_212437806.jpg

15. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Google Royal Hawaiian Mint and you will see all the different products they have for sale.

16. MontCollector

Tlberg and Razz like this.
  17. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Wow thank I would have never thought to look there! Rarity index of 85/100...

18. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Found the Maui dollar on the site as well rarity of 86/100...

19. MontCollector

The rarity index on there is not reliable. It is only based on how many members have one listed in their collections. 85/100 only means not to many Numista members have them.

20. MontCollector

They are not legal tender. Most of what the RHM sells is silver and gold bullion coins as well as some bronze and copper tokens.

21. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

"Successful" bosses make 2000 nickels for every one you make. Only twice your rate for him? The guy has to be a complete failure and certainly not good in "business". Don't worry. He'll never catch you.

Tlberg and furryfrog02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted