I need your feedback on my new book cover

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JCro57, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Andrew McMenamin

Andrew McMenamin Nerva You Mind

I like it! Great layout - really catches the eye. I'd say go with it!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm realizing that I misread Keith's comment earlier.

I think he's talking about light-on-dark text, which is often harder to read in smaller sizes. In the size you've illustrated, I certainly don't think it would be a problem for the title and your name, and I think the subtitle text is short enough that it wouldn't be an issue -- but I've only got an academic background in usability and visual perception, not actual on-the-ground experience, so I'd give more weight to Keith's opinions.

4. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I see. Well, the book is going to be 8.5 by 11. So I think the cover is going to be big enough where the print will be visible as I was very mindful that many of my readers are going to be much older than me. I am 46.

5. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

6. JCro57

Because portrait is much narrower, and to fit the title all on one line, I have to shrink it considerably.

7. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

I don't see the actual word 'coin' or 'coins' anywhere - when search engines and store sites index books, they will use the words that are visible at first glance - you will increase the book's exposure and potential sales by mentioning the 'coin' subject on the cover, or maybe insert the word 'Numismatic' between '125' and 'Freaks'. (If you were to read your cover out loud to a random person, would they know exactly what the book is about?) - BTW, I like the word play with 'Die', which only true numismatists will 'get' ;)
    Just my
    2c-a1.gif

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Kentucky and Heavymetal like this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm not talking about changing the font of the title, just the font for your name. What am I missing? ~ Chris

9. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

New design, with a title perhaps beginning with "Coin" instead of "Mint".

10. JCro57

Ahhhhhhh. Ok. Sorry. My name in the coin font...going to see what it's like.

11. JCro57

Excellent point. I am going to insert "coin" in the subtitle. Great suggestion

juris klavins likes this.
  12. shagbark acres

shagbark acres Supporter! Supporter

New design. Catches the eye.

13. JCro57

I changed the sub-title by taking out "Freaks & Oddities" and replaced it with "Error Coins" and switched the quarter with a better example. Again, excellent suggestion to include the word "Coins" (and I threw in "U.S.") so I can be found easier in a search.

New Intro.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    JeffC and juris klavins like this.
  14. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

New design as well.

15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I prefer the newer design. Best of luck in finding a publisher!

16. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

+1 for the New Design

17. Andrew McMenamin

Andrew McMenamin Nerva You Mind

I'm so sorry! When I went back to the thread I realized I missed part of the message - new design - most definitely! I hope your book is a hit and I'll come back to you for an autograph!

18. RoseWesche

RoseWesche Official "Crazy Cat Lady"

I am in agreement with everyone else. I prefer the new design as it just seems to command your attention.

19. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

+1 for the new design as well as adding the word coin to the sub.

I also like the portrait orientation as opposed to landscape. In the landscape orientation I find that the longer page is too floppy and prone to more rips and tears.

20. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The new design rocks, hope you get a publisher soon, that looks like a really interesting book. Does the book discuss the pricing issue of errors?

21. Woodman60

Woodman60 Mercury Dimes Franklin Halves

New Design stands out catches the eye better.

Draft saved Draft deleted