I NEED TO KNOW THE TRUE VALUE OF THIS 1879-CC MORGAN !!!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Doug1974, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

I am looking at buying this 1879cc Morgan Dollar & I am in need of or advice in a hurry ! Please tell me what you would pay for this Morgan & keep in mind I spend about a $1000 a month on my "CC" collection . PLEASE ONLY HONEST FEEDBACK THANK YOU !

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thank you for taking the time to take a look !

GOD bless you all & your loved 1's !!!
    Doug & Stephanie

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Pretty cool coin and a scarce date. Around AU Details, Maybe cleaned but it may just be lighting. $1000 maybe.

Mikey Zee and Doug1974 like this.
  4. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

RPM??? Hard to tell based on photos though.

Doug1974 likes this.
  5. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

It look's cleaned at best to me BUT it still grabbed my eye !

6. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

These are the only available pictures & thats 1 of a few questions I have so here I am asking you all !

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Knowing the grade would also help compare it to others sold or offered compared to the price that you are considering...it certainly appears to be AU or uncirculated and perhaps MS-60+ ?

At that grade and above, with no 'issues', it easily goes for $1-$2,000

8. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

Too much wear in the hair details & on the Eagles breast for an AU coin then add in all the contact marks on the face.
    I'd be a buyer in the $725-$750 ish range.

9. Mikey Zee

Twobit has a legitimate observation.....which makes the asking price even a more critical issue in the coins 'raw' state---but I would still consider this coin a bargain at less than a grand.

Doug1974 likes this.
  10. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

Please be sure I only have 2 hours to pull the trigger !

11. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

The grey sheet lists this coin @ $650-$715 in XF.
    But it's a better date.
    It's a nice coin for what it is but them hits on the face kinda takes away the eye appeal (for me any ways) but It is a nice better date coin for what it is.

I'm having second thoughts on my quoted price.
    If you can get it for $650 or less you did well.
    eye appeal is every thing (IMO).

12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

AU50-53. I see wear on the legs and talons of the eagle as well as the breast. Two good dings on the rim below the double L and between a-r in dollar. There is even wear on the dentals and lettering on the reverse. Usually the reverse is the better of the two sides. Then several of the letters on the obverse have been dinged besides, along with a possible die crack in the first 5 letters of the word PLURIBUS. I'm not big on die cracks. The hair shows wear above the ear and possibly above the eye. You can see a cut running through the hair above the forehead as well. Just a lot of minor surface blemishes that don't look like they are bag marks. Even though the coin has some positive features like, no wear on the tips of the wings, etc... it also has a few problems found in a XF coin. $700-$750 max. It depends on how bad you want it?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  13. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

It looks like an 1879-CC VAM 3 with XF45 - AU50 details. I'd be there at around $750.00 I'm assuming I'm late to the party and you made your decision. I'm curious, did you get her?

14. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Looks to me like a problem coin (improperly cleaned) I would pass. But if I had to buy it $450-$500 would be tops

15. Mikey Zee

Doug...

Like all others, I'm curious as to what you finally did about the Morgan. My humble opinion was that $400 was a bit low for a scarce CC in about AU grade and $1,000 was at the maximum of the range considering unknown or unspecified 'issues' ....Not to mention the precise grade itself. I would have popped on it immediately for anything under $800 and wrestled indecisively with all the unknowns, as you apparently have, for any higher price.

Draft saved Draft deleted