I need some info on how to spot a fake 1974 aluminum penny

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by racinghy, Jun 22, 2013.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

So wouldn't the reverse for the buyer be either he would be a victim of fraud or a knowing illegal buyer of stolen government property? I sure wouldn't want to risk my business over something like this. Also, maybe its just me, but i would never do business with a dealer who transacted in such things. If he is willing to transact in THESE stolen items, why would I believe he would not be a willing fence if my collection was ever stolen? Sorry, i just prefer to do business with those with higher ethics. :(

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

See above post. To me this is the saddest thing I have heard in this hobby in a long time. Paying a reward to work with known stolen property........pathetic.

4. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I don't give much of a hoot on what the government thinks is illegal, especially in cases such as these. The US citizens booted the bill for the mint director, the materials involved and everything in between. So rightfully it belongs to anyone of us in my eyes. We paid for it.

My other reasoning is EVERYTHING is illegal to the government, so I personally would keep my mouth shut, buy the piece if I thought it was the real deal, and sit on it.

My last reason is the extent of the governments hypocrisy. They constantly tell us what not to do while they are always guilty of doing the same thing. Just look at the NSA right now. They were like 'hey china don't spy on us you bad little boys' while we are simultaneously doing the same thing and claiming we weren't. Or how senators and congressmen pass specific laws only to find out they themselves aren't following them, for example the 'illegal downloading' they supposedly implemented a bill to stop a few years back. Meanwhile their offices are being flooded with illegally downloaded material.

These are just 2 examples that popped into my head. I mean we all know about all the IRS tax cheaters that keep coming up in the political world.

Also, how can it be a crime with no victim? That's what kills me. They knowingly gave them out, no one forced them to do that, so they should just eat the 'loss' in cases such as these.

All in my humble opinion mind you.

NOS likes this.
  5. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

Well said trey!!

6. tgaw

tgaw Member

the odds must be higher then winning the power ball

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Were getting off the main question as to fake or not. Again, before you send it anywhere, take it to an accurate scale ( High School or College chem lab, or jewelry store or even a reloader if he can convert grains to grams) and we can help you as to whether it is worth wasting cash for a rejection or not.

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

But than again, maybe not.

9. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

What Ever happened to this? Fake I guess?

10. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I think the Langford family would tell you that grading it could lead to a problem. But lets see if it even needs to get that far. I would like to hear his story on how it was aquired. There has to be a political connection in there somewhere. That alone could give you some idea of its validity. If he says he found it in change, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Why? They never tried to have any of their coins graded so they have no experience with that. Their mestake was they sent the coins that the government considered to be stolen, to the government for an opinion of authenticity. If they had sent them to one of the TPG's they would probably have been slabbed and returned to them.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll never understand why they went that direction. It makes me think they have more and only gave them a few to test the waters.

13. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

In my certainly non-expert opinion, I think they did what any non-collector would do. They didn't know about TPG so they went to the "source" to try and verify the legitimacy of the coins....

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

funny

15. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Do an internet search for "Langborn" Sometimes the government gets really serious about coins they do not want in the collector market.

16. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

This is not what was reported. NGC announced on November 3, 2009 that they had graded these coins but did not slab them. I believe it was the legal issue that prevented this. The trial outcome took place July of 2011, after NGC's review. NGC graded one MS66, two at MS65, six at MS64 and one was Uncirculated Details, Improperly Cleaned.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The Langborn family sent the ten 1933 double eagles to the government for authentication in 2005. It was the government that sent them to NGC in 2009 several years after they had confiscated them. (And after they had used them as a public display at an ANA convention.)

18. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Perfect answer!

19. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

1974 ICG Aluminum Cent.jpg

20. racinghy

racinghy Member

Hey, sorry on getting back so late to you guys! Well, the bad(or good I guess) is that it was not aluminum, but it was actually struck on a dime blank! Sorry for holding the suspense for everyone! Have a happy and safe holiday!

21. racinghy

racinghy Member

I am trying to find what memory card had the photos on it so I can show you guys

rte and NOS like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted