I need some info on how to spot a fake 1974 aluminum penny

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by racinghy, Jun 22, 2013.

1. racinghy

racinghy Member

I had a customer come in yesterday, and he said he has one of these pennies and is going to bring it in to show me. Is there any way that can prove it is the real deal or a fake? Any help is greatly welcomed! Thanks!

David AKA Racinghy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

tough since it is an illegal coin, can't even get it certified by PCGS, NGC. It's like a 64-d dollar.

4. racinghy

racinghy Member

Really? Well whose fault is it for getting out to the public? But still, any way to tell if it is real or fake?

NOS likes this.
  5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Being that a 1974 aluminum US cent is illegal to own, my inclination would be to tell the 'owner' that I don't even want to see it.

6. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

Boy, I think any true collector would not pass up a chance. Even knowing it's likely not going to be legit.

NOS likes this.
  7. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

It'll weigh about 1/3 as much as a normal 1974 copper cent... ;)

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since they were prepared as "specimens", they are proof like in finish and highly reflective, with the straight squared rims used for proofs. The most distinguishing feature according to the ARLC ( Authoritative Reference on Lincoln Cents , 2nd.) is that it is a doubled die reverse ( based on the Smithsonian coin) , with the "FG" and the "United States of America" doubled. I would go by the weight, rims, and DDR aspects.

Jim

Argenteus Fossil likes this.
  9. racinghy

racinghy Member

Yeah, I'm not going to pass up this chance. If its legit, then I'll worry lol

NOS and quartertapper like this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

As mentioned first check the weight, it will be slightly less than 1 gram. Strike should be strong with well formed rims.

And who says you can't get it certified. There has already been one specimen certified by ICG and PCGS and I'm fairly sure if they received another one they would certify it as well.

NOS and silentnviolent like this.
  11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

[video=youtube;rwcBaG-S7UA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwcBaG-S7UA[/video]

12. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Check that it's not a sandwich of two repro
    halves. Or a repro with a work over done to
    COPY.

13. longnine009

14. longnine009

This was yet another lost opportunity by the
    U.S Mint. Supposedly Mary Brooks was so ticked
    off about not getting those cents back she threatened
    to strike truck loads of them and store them in mint
    vaults to surpress any future premiums on them .
    She should have followed through on it along with
    strikes of the bronze-steel clads and then sold them
    to us.

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Easy:

If you aren't arrested-- it is fake.

16. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

From what I've read about it , samples were given to senators and not all were returned.

17. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

A Japan 1 yen piece is larger than a penny and has a weight of about 1 g, so if it doesn't weight less than a gram weight on the scale/balance, it's faked.

It's one of those situations that no matter what, the seller is screwed:

a) He's passing off a plated penny as an aluminum specimen (fraud).
    b) He's selling an actual specimen (transacting stolen government property).

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If it is brought in, please have a camera that can take a close up available, and take an in-focus, well lighted photograph of obverse, rim edge, and reverse.
    Thanks.

19. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

I'd be surprised if it gets graded. I can't see PCGS wanting to get involved in these items. The way the gvt is spying on us, they will know you have it and send a drone plane after you. You sure couldn't put it into a Heritage type auction.

I know there is a black market for stuff you can't own legally such as artwork like the Mona Lisa.....If you could steal it, you could sell it to a wealthy eccentric collector that just wants it.

I would avoid things like the aluminum cent, 64-D dollar , 1933 double eagle, etc. You are committing an illeagle act dealing in such stuff....maybe it just gets taken away from you but maybe criminal charges as well ?

I sure wouldn't want to slab it and have my name in a paper trail....if it is even slabable.

20. racinghy

racinghy Member

Well he doesn't know much about it either, so its like 'WOAH, ITS ILLEGAL?' Well, its not like a major problem, JMO. They have more serious things to worry about rather than a coin they gave out knowing that they would probably never get it back.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Did you miss my post where I mentioned they have already slabbed one? And if they didn't want to get involved, why are they offering $10K to see a 1964 D Peace dollar? And I bet if they ever do get to see one, they will slab it if they can.

NOS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted