I need some help with a small countermarked AE - Greek? Provincial?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Dec 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think ancient countermark collecting is the Dark Side of the Dark Side. Which is to say I'm trying to attribute a small batch of countermarks and I am not having much luck.

I was wondering if anybody can steer me in the right direction with this small AE - just getting the host coin down would be great. There is a male head on the obverse, mostly obliterated by the two countermarks - Apollo? Augustus?

The reverse has a tantalizing lack of visible features - fragments of an inscription and what might be a lyre?

The countermarks are a (1) an bunch of grapes and (2) goddess holding two torches (?). Diana lucifera, maybe? 14 mm and 2.8 grams.

Any help greatly appreciated.

CM - Artemis w 2 torches & grapes Nov 2019 (0).jpg

CM - Artemis w 2 torches & grapes Nov 2019 (0 det3).jpg

I did have some luck with the host coin on this one. But the countermark still alludes me - Artemis/Diana drawing her bow, a K (?) behind. Anybody seen one like this? (the countermark is show right-side up; the portrait of Hermes is upside down - you can just see the brim and top of his petatos at 3 and 6 o'clock - the reverse is just a lousy photo - sorry)

CM - Ionia Hermes & Griffin Diana K cm Nov 2019 (0).jpg

CM - Ionia Hermes & Griffin Diana K cm Nov 2019 (0det).jpg

Phokaia, Ionia Æ 14
    (c. 300-200 B.C.)
    Magistrate Aristoleos

Head of Hermes right, wearing petatos / [ΦΩ] AΡIΣTO[ΛEOΣ], forepart of griffin right.
    SNG Cop 1037; SNG Tüb. 3127; SNG Lewis 943.
    Countermark: Artemis w. bow r., K behind, 7 mm circle obverse.
    (3.30 grams / 14 mm)

EWC3 and Ryro like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Supporter! Supporter

Diana Lucifera is usually depicted with one long torch and often with the crescent moon on her shoulders.

Ceres/Demeter depicted with a lighted torch in each hand is known as Ceres Taedifera, “Ceres the torch-bearer.” Here she is on a couple of Roman coins:

Faustina Sr AVGVSTA Ceres Sestertius.jpg Faustina Sr AVGVSTA Ceres Sestertius 2.jpg

Ryro, Marsyas Mike and Bing like this.
  4. Marsyas Mike

Thanks RC. I was just guessing at this point.

Roman Collector likes this.
  5. Marsyas Mike

Ah, the heart is a lonely hunter, when it comes to countermarks. I decided to take another whack at my little mystery AE and found a likely partial thread, after only an hour or three. A listing in FORVM got me going in the right direction - one similar to mine, but the photo is pretty unclear:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/c...&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins/

The FORVM listing led me to this: "The Countermarks of Cabyle" by Dimitae Dkagabov. It describes the standing figure countermark as Artemis Phosphoros holding two torches!

I was very excited, however I can only access the first page unless I pay $42.00 and as much as I'd like to support academic research, it is Christmas and I am broke. But the first "teaser" page shows the countermark, blurrily, and it appears to be a match.

CM - Cabyle article book - list of CM's5.png

Cabyle (Kabyle) is a fairly obscure place in Thrace - Wildwinds has a couple. Artemis with the two torches seems to be a civic logo. Seleucid AEs were extensively countermarked at Cabyle - I still haven't figured out the host coin - Apollo and what might be a lyre? The other countermark is a mystery as well. I found other references in this general area, but some are in Bulgarian.

The hunt continues. Here is a somewhat better photo and my notes (which I copied from the FORVM listing - Tapolov, Houghton & Lorber):

CM - Cayble Artemis Phosphoros lot Nov 2019 (0).jpg

Cabyle, Thrace Æ 15
    (250-200 B.C.)

Laureate head right (Apollo?) / Lyre (?), Greek inscription.
    Countermarks: Both obverse:
    Artemis Phosphoros holding 2 torches in 8 mm circle.
    Cluster of grapes (?) in 6 mm circle.
    Tapolov Countermarking p. 240, 4
    Houghton & Lorber 2002 173, 184
    (2.78 grams / 15 mm)
    eBay Nov. 2019 Lot @ $2.20

Attribution Note:

"The Countermarks of Cabyle" by Dimitae Dkagabov describes countermark: "...depicts Artemis Phosophoros holding two long torches...between 6 and 8 mm"
    He notes 135 specimens from 16 countermark punches.

Host: I can't find it (Dec. 2019)

thejewk and Roman Collector like this.
  6. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

I don't have the books you are citing. I have Howgego. The countermark and obverse look like Howgego 236. One example, with a host coin of Docimeium. No picture of the reverse, but an obverse something like https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=429092

Howgego wrote "Cult statue (Artemis Ephesia?) ... possibly to be interpreted as a cult statue of Cybele ..."

Grapes are Howgego 411-416. Most in circular incuse and not easy to tell apart. Howgego 415 and 416 were applied on Phrygian coins (but not Docimeium).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Marsyas Mike likes this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

Thank you Ed, I appreciate the help. I'd never heard of a Boule (a personification of the citizen's council, according to Wikipedia), or Docimeium (city in Phrygia) - and so my journey out of ignorance continues!

I really, really need to get a copy of Howgego. Maybe that will be my New Year's resolution for '20.

Draft saved Draft deleted