I need some help with a few foreign coins beyond my area of expertise.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by DJP7x0s, Mar 24, 2013.

1. DJP7x0s

DJP7x0s Sometimes Coins Arouse Me

I would like to ask for some help with a few foreign coins I have. These are way beyond my area of expertise and I have found very little info on these. The Straits Settlement 20 Cent Piece, Ive only found two other examples. One sold on Heritage for $1260 in 2008, and it says that the owner has a pending offer of $1550. The second example is on ebay, the seller is asking $1500, but the coin has not sold. Mine is in similar condition, but is not blast white, mine is toned and origional. My pictures are of poor quality. I just developed a new method of taking pictures that works really well with copper coins. I am still working on getting a better picture of silver though. So bear with me and keep in mind the details are not as crisp as they are on the actual coin, but its close and enough to give you a good idea of what I have. Any info would be greatly appreciated. And I am trying to sell these coins, so an estimate of a fair value would be a huge help to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one here, I have found examples with the A mint mark. I have not been able to find any with the D mint mark. The only infor that I have found is mintage numbers. The A mint mark, over 3.5 million were minted, while the D mint mark, I think it was around 700,000 minted. The examples of the A mint mark that I have found, have shockingly high asking prices. But I have not found any completed listings or realised prices.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DJP7x0s

This is the best I managed. Id also like to ask if anyone knows if these had weak strikes or perhaps worn dies??? The areas that look to be worn, do not look like wear with the coin in hand and under magnification. And the coin is very lusterous. Which leads me to believe its a higher condition than it appears.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

tell me you did NOT clean it. :mad:

5. DJP7x0s

Not Me. I left it alone. If your basing that on how the toning shows up in my picture, different lighting and I diffused the light alittle bit. The first set of pictures is a more accurate representation of the coin. The second set I think is in better focus. And if it does have a previous cleaning, Im ok with that. I pulled this coin out of a $2 each bin at a local coin shop. And this was not the only good score from that $2 each bucket.

6. DJP7x0s

By the way, these are Iphone pictures. Im rather impressed with the picture quality from a cell phone. I bought a really nice camera, 16 mega pixel or something like that, and I can not get a decent picture no matter what I try. Thats with the camera on a tripod and using a timed delay, and I tried every setting, angle, lighting, distance........ everything I could think of and not one picture Ive been happy with. These pictures are free hand with my cell phone.

7. DJP7x0s

I have the Straits settlement listed on Ebay at what I think is a high price, with the option to make an offer. And I just recieved an offer of $200. So someones $200 interested, which I think is low. But then again I really do not have a clue on this one. Does anyone have any sort of idea???

Draft saved Draft deleted