I need help

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by -Andy-, Feb 22, 2016.

1. -Andy-

-Andy- Andrew B. -Andy- YN

Hi guys, I want to start coin roll hunting I have $5.00 right now. What rolls should I get?
    I go to PNC Bank, do any of you go to that bank? If so, do you ever get anything good?
    I have wanted to try it but I never get the chance. One time I had my dad go to the bank with $10.00 to get 1 roll of halves but they said "we don't have any"
    Thanks for your time!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dantheman2745

dantheman2745 New Member

you can only get pennies or nickels with that much.
    pennies-$.50
    nickels-$2
    dimes-$10
    quarters-$10
    halves-$10
    small dollars-$25
    if i were you i would work for some more money or barrow some from you parents and pay them back in the end, because if you do find something you will keep having less than $5 and be able to get less and less rolls.

4. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Dimes are $5.
    But he's right, it's all about quantity. You might find a keeper or two with 10 rolls of cents.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The same still applies from the last time you asked this very same question. Stop worrying about the bank, or expecting to hit the jackpot on the first roll you open. Just grab however many rolls you can with the money you have, and see what happens.

6. -Andy-

Maybe I'll go tomorrow and get 4 rolls of pennies? How does that sound? Should I go for that or something different? Please respond to this message. Thank you for your time and for your info a tips, Thanks -Andy-

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Just as in cards Andy, it's all in the luck of the draw (or maybe change draw(er) in this case).

8. BooksB4Coins

You're putting way too much into this, young fellow... remember, you're not actually "spending" any money, so it's not like you have to make the "right" choice here; get whatever you want and hope for the best. Like you've been told before though, it's not like chances are good that you'll find anything special. Some dig through hundreds if not thousands of rolls before stumbling, by accident, on something truly decent. I just don't want to see you get your hopes up here.

If you really want to make searching both interesting and give yourself the most opportunities, do consider learning about varieties.

tommyc03 and -Andy- like this.
  9. -Andy-

OK, Thank you! :) Oh, also I don't have my hopes up.

10. BooksB4Coins

You're welcome.... and it's always best not to get one's hopes up; that way, if something is found, it'll be unexpected and all that more exciting.;)

11. Kellen Coin

Kellen Coin YN With MANY Coin Accounts

I would buy cents. You get more, and I find them more fun to search through-you can find more.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

And let us know!

13. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

If I were you I would definitely go with cents. This is because pre 1982 cents are composed of 95% copper and are worth about 1.333 cents in copper, in addition there is a fairly high chance to find a wheat back amagost 500 pennies apposed to silver in 200 nickels, 50 dimes, 20 quarters, or 10 half dollars.

14. BooksB4Coins

Even though this is a very common belief, it's actually not quite that simple. Without getting into great detail, the problem is that cents are an alloy while the quoted "copper price" is for grade A, and no refiner/buyer will pay grade A prices for copper in alloy form. What this means is that those stashing their "copper" pennies and think they're laughing all the way to the bank are in for an unpleasant surprise.

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Not to mention that most scrap yards would turn you away. We scrappers call it dirty copper just as with aluminum that has metal screws in it is considered dirty aluminum. The only good copper that brings top dollar is usually copper pipe and fixtures or copper in ingot or rounds.

16. BooksB4Coins

I've said it here many times to people who don't want to at least consider what I've said to them.... contact a scrap buyer and ask. Unfortunately, it's just too easy to see only what they want to or take what coinflation (or the like) tells them as absolute and unquestionable fact.

tommyc03 likes this.
  17. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

Stick with pennies until you can afford to buy whole boxes of other coins. Pennies are fun! You can still find old ones. Last fall I found a 1909 VDB in a bank box of pennies ($25 per box).

brandon spiegel likes this.
  18. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

awesome find!

Draft saved Draft deleted