I need help with this Large Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mikenoodle, Apr 30, 2017.

1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

IMG_2147.JPG IMG_2149.JPG IMG_2150.JPG IMG_2151.JPG IMG_2153.JPG IMG_2147.JPG IMG_2147.JPG IMG_2149.JPG This came into the shop I work in.

I don't know a lot about a Large Cents and when utilizing the resources I have available, I graded the coin a FINE and am fairly satisfied that I got it right.

Can anyone here with more experience help me out? This coin was made on a screw press and so I don't know how much that affects the grade. I graded it as I would any other 19th century coin.

HELP!!! Please!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This should be fun.
    Do you have an image?

mikenoodle likes this.
  4. mikenoodle

Sorry, Larry. I got about 10 minutes away from that post when I realized that I hadn't posted any images.

ldhair likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'm more in the VG camp than Fine, but OK... VG10.

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I don't see any detail in front of her ear to get to a F, I am in the 10-12 range.

mikenoodle likes this.
  7. mikenoodle

This should be a lesson to all. There are so many people here that can help with just about anything provided that you post clear pictures.

8. ACoinJob

ACoinJob There are still some out there to be had.

F-12 is fair. What was you needing to know?

mikenoodle likes this.
  9. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

A 13 star variety! +1

mikenoodle and ACoinJob like this.
  10. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

These are far from my collecting area, but I really like it. I find it interesting to hear the opinions on grade. I would only be guessing at it, with just and educated guess on what is wear and what is weakness in strike. The reverse shows obvious signs of strong strike to the south and weak strike to the north. Yet when I look at the obverse, that pattern is turned about 90 degrees so the strong strike is east and weak is west. Is the reverse about 90 degrees out of alignment? Or is something else going on?

Sorry I can't contribute much to the grade, I'd be doing nothing more than throwing darts at a board on it.

Edit: off topic, but I was super excited to see your newest show pop up yesterday. :)

mikenoodle likes this.
  11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I grade the coin VG. Did anyone happen to notice the raised "X's" on the reverse and the raised "bars" on stars 4 & 5?

At first, it looked like you might have a cent that was struck on another coin but the raised bars on the stars indicate PMD.

mikenoodle likes this.
  12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I thought you were just having fun with us. So many threads like that. Twenty questions from a member with nothing that we can see and help with.

I'm at VG something with this coin. Insider brought up some good points that we should all notice when trying to understand a coin.

mikenoodle likes this.
  13. ACoinJob

ACoinJob There are still some out there to be had.

Page 107 of the 2017 Red Book says a 13 star variety in f-12 goes for $40. All kinds were minted totaling 3,948,400 minted.

mikenoodle likes this.
  14. mikenoodle

I think that the marks Insider mentions may be planchet adjustment marks, or at least that's what I was thinking.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  15. mikenoodle

*BUMP* any other opinions or help?

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

N-9 R-2 very early die stage (strong denticals, no mouse) Only use of this obv and rev.

mikenoodle likes this.
  17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It seems a little worn for F-12.
    I am VG-10. I like it.
    I did notice the 13 stars.
    I might have a 15 star one (awful condition).
    I'll have to look.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    mikenoodle likes this.
  18. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Adjustment marks (made by a file into the planchet) appear as scratches (unless they are struck out) on the struck coin's surface. The marks on your coin are not adjustment marks. :sorry: Something (made of something harder than copper) with a pattern on it has damaged the coin.

mikenoodle likes this.
  19. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I agree that they aren't adjustment marks (Question for the EAC guys - Did the early mint even make weight adjustments to copper??).

I think they look like marks from a vise or other type of clamping devise. The "X"'s aren't raised; the areas between the "X"'s are pressed in. At least that's what I see in the pic. Still, not too distracting on your coin.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They also didn't do adjustments on copper planchets, gold and silver only.

Draft saved Draft deleted