I need help with this 1795 Half Dollar.....Overstrike?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by alltherage, Jul 13, 2016.

1. alltherage

alltherage New Member

I'm relatively new to coin collecting, so my terminology may be off and I apologize in advance. I inherited this coin many years ago and recently pulled it out of storage to look it over. I noticed this "blob" to the right of the date and tried to research it so I could find the specific variety, but had no luck finding a match. I presume it's an overstrike or something like that, but any additional info would be welcome. halfdate.JPG halfdate 2.JPG halffront.JPG halfback.JPG Thanks guys!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Looks like O-113. That is how collectors ID the die pair.

4. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

deleted, I thought "dollar" not half dollar! sorry.

5. alltherage

alltherage New Member

THAT'S IT! You guys are amazing! I literally spent hours searching for this variety. Thank you so much, Insider!

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

If you are going to collect these you'll need two books. Overton and "I forgot" :eggface::facepalm::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: It's at the office but someone should post it. There is also a Bust Half Dollar Club.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

United States Early Half Dollar Die Varieties 1794-1936, Overton, or 4th & 5th editions, Parsley

The Ultimate Guide to Attributing Bust Half Dollars, by Glenn Peterson [1807-1836]
    (Capped Bust only)

Then:
    Early United States Half Dollars, Volume 1, 1794-1807 by Steve Tompkins. Amazing book.

Contemporary Counterfeit Capped Bust Half Dollars, by Keith Davignon

And Bust Half Fever, by Edgar Sounders -- great read, 2 editions.

Also:

The Top 100 R-4 and R-5 Caped Bust Half Dollar Varieties and Sub-Varieties. By Edgar Sounders.

Then there are Beistle, Hazeltine and others

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    MKent and Insider like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted