I need help with collecting American coinage!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by FrankPlantagenet, Apr 16, 2010.

1. FrankPlantagenet

FrankPlantagenet New Member

I wish I could find a dealer of US coin locally. I'm gonna look around anyway.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. clarence

clarence Junior Member

I would order some circulated coins of different types first to see which ones you might like to collect ! Just be careful as there are a few places that might take you . Several of the people here could advise you on good dealers after you decide and if you do this is the place to get your answers ! Good luck and have fun it`s a great hobby and the U.S.A. has some great coins too .

4. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Thanks. Nice to see him take an interest in US coins. Just my way of helping out.

5. FrankPlantagenet

Thankyou and I know what dealers are like, most of them will rip you off around here. I'm gonna buy a different variety of coins and then I'll see what I'm going to collect.

6. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Frank. PM your shipping information. If I get time tomorrow I will try to get a bunch of coins together and ship them out right away. I joined some event called "pay it forward day" on Facebook so you will be recipent of the cause from me. I will keep the coins a secret but I am pretty sure you will be quite happy and the price is right (Free!)

7. fatima

fatima Junior Member

Roll searching is mostly looking at modern coin rolls in hopes that someone might have deposited rare or 90% silver coins. (Silver was removed from most USA coins starting in 1965) These days the best luck seems to come from the 1/2 dollar coin rolls because they are not that common in circulation and thus have not been picked over as much. It's almost impossible to find much of value these days in dime and quarter rolls. You also have to make sure that you are getting rolls that were deposited by individuals and not rolls the bank recently bought new.

In other words you have to go through a huge number of rolls in order to find, hopefully, a good coin. If you are in the USA it's not such a big deal as the trick is to get the rolls at one bank then deposit them at another. But sending them to the UK would rack up some pretty hefty mail charges really quick and would not be worth it. Active rolls searchers usually go for bags of these rolls so there is also an investment of several hundred dollars while you have the rolls.

My suggestion to you, is that if you live near one of the tourist areas in the UK that you head for the places where foreign money is exchanged for UK currency when people enter the country. Some suggestions would be near or at the airports and some of the larger tourist hotels. They may be very happy to sell you the American coins they may have, and you might also benefit from the fact that most may not know to pick out the valuable coins. (this is a problem with roll searching, some clever tellers at the banks will pick out the coins too)

8. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I'm sure whatever you are interested in there are people here that will be more than willing to help you out.

9. FrankPlantagenet

People are so kind on here.

Draft saved Draft deleted