I need help: Baffling Beat-Up Roman Provincial

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I've been getting batches of low-grade Roman Provincials of late, which have been a lot of fun to attribute, if not very handsome to look at. Mostly I've been having pretty good luck figuring things out, but this one baffles me.

It is 24 mm and weighs 9.60 grams. Part of the reverse legend is visible; what looks like KOΛO...? which I thought might be Colophon / Kolophon in Ionia, but I'm having no luck there. The big visible thing is the legend across the field, with that weird O that looks like a diamond. Not really sure about the deity either

The portrait looks like an older guy, short or no hair - Vespasian? Trajan Decius? Trebonianus Gallus? Philip?

Uknown Prov lot Feb 2022 (0).jpg

Any help much appreciated. :)

tenbobbit, DonnaML and ominus1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

The reverse looks like Hercules to me. Holding the lion skin and his club.
    Not sure if that helps or not. Still looking.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  4. Marsyas Mike

Thanks for that suggestion, ff02. I hadn't thought of Hercules, but now that I look at it, it is a possibility. The thing that threw me off is that I think he might be wearing a short "skirt" like thing (I don't really know my Graeco-Roman clothing beyond "Toga! Toga! Toga!". But the condition is so poor, maybe he is Hercules-nude.

5. furryfrog02

That diamond "O" is throwing me too. I have no clue.

6. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

I think I see ΝΙΚΟΠΟΛΙΤΟΝ (Nicopolis) across the top of the reverse, but I am not certain.

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nicopolis ad Istrum, probably Elagablus. Reverse is Asklepios. Like this or similar:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/1163

Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 11.57.28 AM.png

Only two examples in RPC but I see at least a few others in ACsearch. Still... seems legitimately rare no matter how you slice it :).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

9. furryfrog02

@TIF for the win!

Marsyas Mike and DonnaML like this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looks like the RPC coin and yours might be a reverse die match. Because of coin condition and photographic conditions of the RPC coin, I wasn't able to get a good overlay for the obverse.

Here's your coin with an outline of the RPC's reverse overlaid:

CT-MarsyasMike-NikopolisAsklepiosReverseOverlay.gif

Broucheion, Volodya, Ryro and 10 others like this.
  11. Marsyas Mike

Thank you so much @TIF - not only for the ID, but the terrific overlay as well. Nothing like a British Museum die match to make me feel like a real numismatist! :cigar:
    This one was really stumping me, and it seems I was barking up the wrong numismatic tree (not an old portrait at all, since Elagabalus was a teenager). Good to see how that weird Diamond-O fits in as well. You made my whole numismatic weekend! :joyful:

Thanks to everybody else who helped out too. I do appreciate it. :)

As it so happens, I found another die match from that same low-grade Provincial lot - and it seems to be a bit scarce, if unattractive:

Kallatis - Sev. Alexander Tyche lot Feb 2022 (0).jpg
    Severus Alexander Æ Tetrassarion
    (c. 222-235 A.D.)
    Kallatis, Thrace / Moesia Inf.

AVT K M AV[Ρ CEYH] AΛEXANΔΡOC, laureate head r. / KAΛΛATIANΩN, Tyche
    standing left, holding rudder and cornucopiae, Δ in left field.
    Varbanov 348; Moushmov 314.
    (12.32 grams / 26 x 25 mm)
    eBay Feb. 2022 Lot @ $3.80
    Notes: Die-match obverse and reverse to Ken Dorney specimen sold on Vcoins ($150.00 but much nicer coin). Noted as "rare." Did not find any on acsearch; but Wildwinds has one.

Here is the die match, to former CTer Ken Dorney, from a Vcoin listing - it is really nice:

Kallatis, Thrace - Severus Alexander Tyche standing Varb 348 - Vcoins DIE MATCH pic.jpg

For you connoisseurs of ancient coin damage, here is a close-up of that flattened/clipped edge on mine:

Kallatis - Sev. Alexander Tyche lot Feb 2022 (0det).jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted