I need advice on moving my coin collection outside of US

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by chris58, May 8, 2012.

1. chris58

chris58 New Member

Thank you Condor, I will be leaving my collection in a bank vault, I was informed that country I am going to has a very unreliable mail system
    and most definitely I will never see my collection. After a year I am allowed vacation time, and then I'll return to check on my collection
    in the states. Thanks again for your input and support.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I would use this move to your advantage. Start collecting coins you can find in Kazakhstan! Broaden your horizons. There is more to coin collecting life than just US coins. :)

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I think you made a wise decision Chris. And like you mentioned, you can still collect coins over there. :)

5. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

Blasphemy! :)

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello again Chris58,

I know that you have only visited CoinTalk.com for a short time but I hope that you will post some CT threads from your new location. I am certain that several of the members here (like myself) would really enjoy reading about your numismatic (and other) experiences. A picture speaks more than 1,000 words so please post some photos of the coins & the country.

7. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

NYC huh? well you can always leave it with me for keeping... I mean safekeeping. :D

But keep your coins safe and hope you keep posting from your new location.

8. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

True. Also, my specialization is ancient coins from Central Asia, so make sure if you do find some interesting coins to post here. :)

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Gotta echo the guys here, Chris. Don't be a stranger.......

10. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Chris,

Make sure you do these things:

The SDBs you use: make sure they are tied to an account so the renewal fees can come from the account automatically.

Set up some sort of transfer system so that you deposit some sort of money into the account once a year. Bank rules have changed and if an account is inactive for a period of time, there can be problems. Also if a SDB doesn't get renewed monitarily for some reason, there can be problems.

Next if you have a person here, get that person as a co-owner of the safe deposit boxes. That way if there is a problem of some sort, you can communicate with that person and deal with the issue.

These are simply because sometimes things happen and people are delayed or have issues when they are away from their main city.

And I think you made a wise decision not to take those coins with you there. It would be an open invitation to have them disappear forever from you. Or, in worst case scenario, something happens while you are in the country and you have to evacuate and leave all your possessions there. That would be worse.

11. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

He is not saying check the coins, but carry them on. You can fit few hundred slabs in a carry on if you do it right but have to be careful as some airlines will stop you if they notice the weight. Internationally can be a pain. They may want to customs to take a close look.

They honestly care more about cash, keep it under 10k or you hit some real issues.

12. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

YOu might also seek out a dealer in the US who attended the Hong Kong show in April, they may have some insight.

13. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Glad you are leaving your collection home. I believe you'll sleep easier over there in Kazakhstan (sp) not having to worry (much..) Perhaps you will be able to take a 'reminder' with you, one of your favorites. And as someone mentioned, photos to look at.

Good luck in your new job. A year flies by quickly these days..

:) Lucy

14. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Lucy, did you lift that from Yogi Berra?

15. riff

riff I ain't got time to bleed

private, insured courier.

16. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Have you not read this thread?

17. riff

yes. i have. i didnt read the replies to the thread. dont need to. giving my opinion on THE OP question. thank you.

18. riff

yes. i have. i didnt read the replies to the thread. dont need to. giving my opinion on THE OP question. thank you.

19. chris58

chris58 New Member

Thank you icerain, I am still in town and yes I will absolutely continue to post from abroad.

20. chris58

chris58 New Member

Thank you lucyray, I will definitely sleep better and I will be taking with me 2 of my favorite's.

21. chris58

chris58 New Member

Thank you blu62vette, I will be taking only a handful as it is risky business flying into Kazahkstan with excessivve precious metals.

Draft saved Draft deleted