I love high relief coins!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Theodosius, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I recently picked up this very attractive Seleukos I Nikator Tetradrachm from John Anthony's recent auction. It formerly was part of the Sallent collection and now is happily part of my own. :)

One of the things that attracted me to the coin was its high relief. To me, that adds a whole new dimension of tactile enjoyment to handling a coin (pun intended). Some ancient coin designs have more relief height on one side than many other coins have in total thickness. I also like the golden toning of this coin. I have kept this one on my desk since acquiring so I can admire it daily.

Seleukos I Nikator Tet 2a.jpg
    Seleukos I Nikator, 312-281 BC
    AR Tetradrachm, 17.2 g, 28mm, 9h, Babylon Mint.
    Struck in the name of Alexander III of Macedon, circa 312-300 BC.
    Obverse.: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion's skin.
    Reverse.: ALEXANDROU BASILEWS; Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; monogram within wreath in left field; H below throne.
    Reference: SC 82.6; Price 3704
    From the Sallent Collection

Here is a side view showing the relief. I shot this free hand using my Sony a6000 and my new Sony FE 2.8 / 90 macro lens, which has improved my photographs a lot. Still learning how to use it.

Seleukos I Nikator Tet 2a side.jpg

Post your high relief coins with perspective shots if you have them!

John

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. steve 5

steve 5 Member

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. Theodosius

Here is another favorite I have posted before. The perspective shots were taken with a cell phone and the facing shots with my old lens and extension tube.

Klazomanai Tet 1a.jpg
    Ionia, Klazomenai, c. 386-301 BC, AR Tetradrachm, 14.86g
    Obverse: Theodoros, magistrate. Laureate head of Apollo facing slightly left.
    Reverse: Swan standing left, preening its wing; ΘΕΟΔΩΡΟΣ below.
    Hurter 17, V5/R10 (this coin)
    Very Rare, Fine Style
    Ex Kunker Sale 94, lot 1085, September 27, 2004

Kla Right a.jpg

This coin is 6mm thick at the tip of his nose. :)

Klaz Left a.jpg

John

Sulla80, Andres2, Herodotus and 18 others like this.
  6. Theodosius

Nice coin and images Bing!

Now I want one of those too.

:)

Bing likes this.
  7. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

That reverse is stunning!!

8. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Nice tetradrachm, @Theodosius! One of my favorite high relief coins is of a similar style. It looks, and feels, like Herakles is working his way out of the flan (the lesser-known 13th labor of Hercules: emerge from a coin)!

upload_2020-10-3_19-34-58.png

Alexander III 'the Great' AR Tetradrachm. Tarsos, circa 327-323 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin headdress / ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ, Zeus Aëtophoros seated left, holding sceptre; plow in left field, Θ below throne. 27 mm. 17.1 g.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Valentinian, Nvb, Sulla80 and 16 others like this.
  9. Theodosius

I like the plow symbol on the reverse of your coin! Very nice.

It is amazing how much effort they put into these tetradrachms that were made in such large quantities and at so many mints. It has to be a lot more work to make high relief dies and I bet they don't last as long as lower relief would.

John

+VGO.DVCKS and Carl Wilmont like this.
  10. steve 5

steve 5 Member

Very true very true, now go look at the coinofglory.com and how you like it?

11. IanG

IanG Well-Known Member

I'm afraid my photography skills are extremely limited so I'm not going to try a perspective shot of this Tetradrachm but hopefully the picture speaks for itself. The head of Apollo sits very high on the flan.

Aeolis, Myrina, AR Tetradrachm, circa 155-145 BC.

Myrina.jpg

jb_depew, Nvb, Alegandron and 14 others like this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Great coin and photos, @Theodosius! And wow to the relief on that Klazomenai! I had no idea they had such high relief. The type has languished on my wish list and now I think I'll try a little harder to find one :).

Here are a couple of my higher relief coins.

[​IMG]
    KINGS of PERGAMON, Eumenes I
    263-241 BCE
    AR tetradrachm 29 mm, 16.94 gm
    Obv: head of Philetairos right, wearing laurel wreath
    Rev: ΦIΛETAIPOY; Athena enthroned left, right hand resting on shield set at her feet, gorgon on shield; left elbow resting on small sphinx seated right; transverse spear in background, ivy leaf above knee, monogram on throne, bow to right
    Ref: BMC Greek (Mysia) 31, p.115; SNG France 1606–9
    Formerly slabbed, NGC Ch AU 5/5 3/5, Fine Style
    Ex Dr. Spencer Paterson Collection of Ancient coins, Great Collections 15 Sept 2019

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ISLANDS OFF ATTICA, Aegina
    456/45-431 BCE
    AR stater; 20mm, 12.32 g
    Obv: land tortoise, head in profile, with segmented shell
    Rev: large square incuse with skew pattern
    Ref: SNG Delepierre 1774ff; BMC Taf. 24.11

[​IMG]

ambr0zie, Valentinian, Nvb and 24 others like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I do love it when people try photos with thought rather than just flopping the things out there and complaining when the image is not perfect. It makes me want to try harder to keep up. Today is a busy day so it may not be today but someday, I hope??? My first photos other than flat were intended not to show high relief but interesting edges. With proper lighting, both will show together. My first perspective effort was over ten years ago. It was to show the 'situation' down inside the test cut Athenian tetradrachm. Those early shots obviously should be improvable but it will be embarrassing if I can't.
    [​IMG]

14. Theodosius

Very nice coins and pictures TIF, did you use focus stacking for the side views?

The Eumenes portrait is so life like it is amazing.

John

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  15. Theodosius

Doug,

You have posted some amazing perspective shots over the years. I first heard of focus stacking from one of your posts. I have not given it a try yet but I'm tempted to give it a go.

John

16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

No, just single shots. The Eumenes and its side shot were taken with a fixed lens camera on manual mode (Canon Powershot). I'm not sure if it was the same camera for the older Aegina images-- possibly, or it may have been with a Canon DSLR.

Theodosius and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  17. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

My Seleukos I tet is rather worn, but it is still has high relief. Ancient coins were definitely not stackable in these cases!

Seleucid Tet Jan 2019 (0a).jpg

Seleucid Tet Jan 2019 (0xxxj).JPG

Seleukos I Nikator Tetradrachm
    (c. 311-300 B.C.)
    Babylon Mint

Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / AΛEΞANΔPOY right; [BAΣIΛEΩΣ] below; Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; MI above bee in left field; MYP monogram in wreath below throne.
    Price 3754; SC 82.2b
    (17.02 grams / 23 mm)

Valentinian, Nvb, Curtisimo and 13 others like this.
  18. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

19. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

20. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@Theodosius, a great Tetradrachm and your relief shot really highlights it - also a great idea for a thread with many very clearly illustrated high relief coins.
    Here's an attempt to show off the relief on a tetradrachm - getting it to stand up on edge was the fun part of taking this photo:
    Alex III High Relief.jpg
    Alexander III of Macedon, early posthumous issue of Babylon, struck under Perdikkas ca. 323-320 BC.
    Obv: Head of Heracles right, wearing lion-skin headdress
    Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPOY, Zeus seated left, holding eagle and scepter; M in left field, ΛY below throne.
    Size: 24.3mm, 16.67g
    Ref: Price 3692

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Nvb, Curtisimo, Edessa and 6 others like this.
  21. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Great coin, looks like impressive relief on the reverse too!

High relief always makes me think of my Rhodian didrachm:
    [​IMG]

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 4.40.47 PM.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted