I love eBay!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vegas Vic, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

As long as you are being honest about what you are selling, what is wrong? You list a coin, show an accurate picture and let people pay what they feel it is worth. If someone overpays relative to what you or the catalog think it is worth, that doesn't mean you are taking advantage of them. There are many plausible reasons why that might be a deal that makes sense for that person - they don't have a coin store nearby, they really want that date for whatever reason, it has sentimental value, etc. Selling is just taking something that people want and providing it to them at the price they are willing to pay. As long as you don't misrepresent it, I don't see anything to complain about.

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

unsearched rolls, unopened gsa dollars, unopened proof sets are where the money is. Also if you take pictures of coins in cigar boxes or grandfather clocks, that raises the value. You can make money on Ebay, you just got sell the right stuff.

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

First of all, and no matter how you may wish to spin it, I am not complaining but pointing out fact.

Now, is providing an "accurate" photo while intentionally avoiding any mention of a known problem with the hopes someone will overlook wrong? Is hiding behind "subjectivity" and "opinion"as an excuse a respectable and honest business practice? There are countless examples of questionable to less-than-honorable selling tactics regularly used and we could sit here all night discussing them. A coin is what it is no matter what so-called "plausible reasons" one may come up with as a way to justify such tactics. Just because someone may not have a shop or know of worthwhile dealer close by or "whatever reason" does not mean that all should rightly be fair on the bay. Even though someone who blindly buys has only themselves to blame, this does not make going out of one’s way to target such suckers okay. There is little worse than a budding collector later learning that someone likely took advantage of their novice in order to make a buck, and those willing to do just that represent the Candiru of this hobby.

With all due respect, unless you somehow misunderstood my point, I cannot help to see much of the above nothing more than excuses. Considering that you speak of "being honest" in the first sentence of your post, I can only assume that you have indeed misunderstood.

5. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Your argument assumes that the person who buys the coin receives it and feels that they have been ripped off. If that is the case then indeed, that is not good. I have bought coins, received them and then found there was a big problem, like it was cleaned or bent, and the seller never mentioned it, and I feel like I've been taken a bit. But it's also the case that many, many collectors are very happy with coins that others might consider problem coins. Remember that everyone has their own reasons for collecting. Personally I could care less about graded coins or uncirculated condition. I like coins as historical items and don't mind if they look used. Probably more than half of the coins in my collection wouldn't meet the standards of many collectors on this board, but I'm happy to have them. And if I sell them to other collectors who are like me, there's nothing wrong with that.

Endeavor likes this.
  6. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

[quote="BHPM Trader, post: 1888799, member: 40137

- Am I correct in understanding that you actually received $300 more than what you paid for the roll AND you got to keep at least 2 coins without payment on this deal?

actually yes. and I really don't feel bad about it. it was not done intentionally but that is how it turned out when all the dust settled. I didn't feel it necessary to go out of my way to fix a problem from a guy selling me counterfeit coins.

and even more interesting is there was actually one other roll I bought. they advertised that the end coin was 1862 1c bu. I bought the roll and sent it in. it came back au details cleaned. so I contacted the seller. I told him he could have the coin back and send me a low grade unc certified coin if he wanted to fix it. (in case you are wondering this would have been a great deal for the seller) . he accused me of switching coins. I opened a case and won. the guy actually told me to just keep the coins he didn't want anything to do with me and gave me a full refund.

I don't feel bad that clearly misrepresented items resulted in a loss for the seller. I like to call it karma. the only way you could know it was a roll of unsearched wheat pennies is if you had certain knowledge of when the roll was rolled. I learned not to play around on ebay and go back to what I know how to do. but the lesion was not as expensive as it could have been.

7. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

You like to call it KARMA.
    I call it, 2 wrongs don't make it right......:D

8. BooksB4Coins

You're reading too much into this, HD. I made a factual statement that while intentionally vague, was in no way meant as an overall assessment or critique of ebay or collector's individual tastes, purchases, or desires. It had only to do with a certain class of sellers (as opposed to dealers) who knowingly, intentionally, and spinelessly choose to acquire their "inventory" in a questionable manner, and how such actions can result in easy money.

9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Well said hiddendragon.

10. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

If acquiring inventory on ebay, there isn't much in the way of questionable practices to be used without breaking ebay policy. Auctions are the guilt free way of getting deals.

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

eBay is great for me and my collection of military trade tokens. It's been hard for me to find them anywhere else. The other night, I won a trade token for $0.01. Now shipping was $2 but I'm very happy. with the total price.

I found a complete set of five tokens for a base that was only open for five years. Four of them were unlisted in the standard reference, and the one that was listed was given a value of $100 (ya, price guides can't be trusted).

12. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Candiru. Look it up, cause that's one nasty little bugger.

Only other person I've ever seen that knows about this little guy.

Sorry I ran this off topic.

13. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I thought that was a great way to think of sellers with those "ender unsearched rolls" :)

14. joseph289

joseph289 Member

last 2 times i bought coins i got good deals. I spent 150 for 20 NGC coins. It was a grab bag thing and I ended up with 3 or 4 silver dimes. All together they are worth over 200 dollars. Last week I bought the 5oz silver ATB for 144 and its worth 225. Not to bad I think. Plus if silver does go up I could sell off if needed.

15. BooksB4Coins

Again, my point and initial post had nothing to do with buying, but only with certain selling practices; nothing less and nothing more. I do not believe I was unclear in that this has little to do with how such inventory is acquired, but what is done with it afterwards.

As an example: the OP of this thread, perhaps as a “guilt free way of getting deals”, purchased an "unsearched roll" via auction format that just happened to have a RD S-mint "unc IHC" (rev shown) on one end and only after submission did he learn that it just happened to be counterfeit. While possible the seller didn't know, a quick look through his listings suggests otherwise, and this, while only one way of many, is a fine example of what I was trying to say in my original post: depending on what one is willing to do, there are plenty of ways to easily acquire inventory that can profitably sell on ebay. Again, while this is just one method of many, someone who has on numerous occasions posted links to listings that he suspects to be counterfeit should be able, even if only in this one way, acknowledge this fact.

Nasty isn't the word for it.... tis the stuff of nightmares. :eek:

treylxapi47 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted