I love...Big Copper

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by laurentyvan, Dec 14, 2016.

1. yarm

yarm Junior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yarm

yarm Junior Member

William Wyon tribute medal by L.C. Wyon, 1854, 55mm.

1890580l20copy202 3.jpg

spirityoda, Stork, coin_nut and 2 others like this.
  4. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

Found this in a little box in my old coin drawer. 20181008_114803.jpg 20181008_114724.jpg

Stork, coin_nut and Chris B like this.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Battle of Marengo copper electrotype shell Medal L'An VIII (1800) UNC, Bramsen-33, by Montagny, 68.8mm. Made by Bertrand Andrieu.

Napoleon 1800 01.jpg Napoleon 1800 02.jpg

Stork, yarm, coin_nut and 2 others like this.
  6. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Obsequies for George IV, 1830. BHM 1412 by T.W. Ingram, 44mm.

BHM 1412 2.jpg

spirityoda, chrsmat71, Stork and 4 others like this.
  7. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Really I should wait until I have the piece in hand and take my own nice photo like the other ancient collectors but I just won this piece at auction. This is the auction house photo, I haven't even gotten the invoice yet, not to mention not yet paid for.

It's a Roman Republican Aes Grave series. Bronze As, 269-240 BC, wt 276.94 grams. I recall the wheel design was also a featured motif in the cast coinage of the period of non-Roman Italy.

[​IMG]

8. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

That sounds huge! I bet the price was rather big as well...

Gallienus likes this.
  9. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Thanks, but Aes Graves, and ancient bronze coins in general, are not popular with those who like small, portable, & expensive items. Thus for it's rarity, it's kind of inexpensive. This exact item sold in the same auctioneer's site a few years ago and realized 1,500 euro less! However, one can't always hope for the best deal for really unusual pieces and I was still happy to get it.

I've been using the more common & later Janus Head Aes Grave for my lectures with high school students but like this design for its connection with technology and inventions. These are also available in multiples but those are quite rare and are genuinely expensive.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    yarm likes this.
  10. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Papal medal with deep perspective by Bianchi, 82mm, 265gms. From the Stack's Bowers sale of Anthony Terranova's medals.

Pius XXIX.jpg

11. yarm

yarm Junior Member

The penny tokens of the Parys Mines Company (Anglesey) were among the heftiest tokens of the Conder era. Hundreds of tons of tokens were minted and occasionally used as the planchet for other tokens. This is a penny token of Durham struck over such a penny from Parys Mines (35mm, 29gms). The Durham die was a few millimeters smaller than the underlying token so vestiges of the host token are visible on both obverse and reverse.

Durham Sunderland 3 annotated.jpg

12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Oh wow, that's a great coin!

13. coin_nut

I totally agree. You post such fine coins, I always wonder why you are called a "Junior Member" when your stuff is so elegant and "senior"?

14. yarm

yarm Junior Member

I came across large papal medals for the first time in 2007 when Stack's Coin Galleries auction contained this group of 4 medals. I thought the images had been enlarged but they were actual sizes ranging from 68-82 mms. Recently picked up the last of the four, Pius IX, Completion of the Albano-Ariccia bridge in 1854.

IMG_1484.JPG 1854 Pius IX with text.jpg ariccia_3189_88446903872452fL.jpg

15. coin_nut

From Secret Santa a few days ago, 38mm diameter, nice big hunk of copper! ND Prospector Cu obv.JPG ND Prospector Cu rev.JPG

16. yarm

yarm Junior Member

George III-Age of Majority 1759 (Eimer 666, MI II 698/428) 55mm

1759   George III Age of Majority.jpg

17. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

I love big coppers too. :joyful:

Ubiquitous cartwheel 2d:

1797 2d (slabbed) 2.jpg

Russian 5 kopeks 1794, KM C#59.3:
    Russia 5 kopeks 1794 (3).jpg

Posted elsewhere but a good size - Angola 40 reis 1757 KM#9. ø39mm, 29g:

Angola 40 reis 1757 (3).jpg

Birmingham Workhouse token (Withers 383). ø44mm, 67.9g.

Birmingham Workhouse 3d (4).JPG

18. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

But you have to hand it to those Swedes and their plätmynt.

½ daler 1743, KM#P65. Marine salvage, so probably from the Nicobar.

Sweden ½ daler 1743 (3).JPG

1 daler 1746, KM#PM68. Made from cannon bronze.

Sweden 1 daler 1746 (3).jpg

And the pride and joy of my collection - 4 dalers 1734, KM#PM74. 3023g. 50p for scale.

Sweden 4 daler 1734 (3).JPG

A cartwheel 2d will just cover one of the stamps. To me, it's mind-blowing. :jawdrop:

19. coin_nut

Love those huge Swedish coppers! This Dalai Lama token is a new acquisition 38.1mm D ND Dalai Lama obv.JPG ND Dalai Lama rev.JPG

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  20. yarm

yarm Junior Member

British Empire Medal, 1901: Edward VII / Lord Roberts on Horseback. BHM 3735, Eimer 1859, 100mm.

BHM 3735 with text.jpg

21. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

The Earl of Derby, Guild Mayor of Preston and the Countess of Derby Medal 1902. I have seen several of these on the net in pewter and only 32mm, whereas this one is copper and 50mm. Also has "Francis Hamilton Mellor, Recorder of Preston" engraved on the edge - he was a senior legal figure in England at the time and also a noted cricketer. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Mellor
    Preston Guild Medal 1.JPG Preston Guild Medal 2.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted