I love...Big Copper

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by laurentyvan, Dec 14, 2016.

1. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

it was my mouse pad. now I have a cute kitty mouse mad.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

This old copper is pretty chunky at 36 mm, 14.34 g. 1753 Brazil 20 Reis, counterstruck 40 Reis 1809. Mintage 403,000.Lisboa, Portugal mint. brazil40reisecounterstampedon20 obv.jpg brazil40reisecounterstampedon20 rev2.jpg

4. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

5. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Heres one i got today. Didnt know it was so big.
    Japan 1835-1870 100 mon
    20161220_155402_HDR.jpg 20161220_155411_HDR.jpg 20161220_155419_HDR.jpg

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Here is the largest piece ever circulated in the British Isles, from the city of Birmingham:

[​IMG]

Whilst the 1797 tuppence weighed in at 2 oz, this one is 2.5 ounces and is a magnificent example of Matthew Boulton's steam powered coin presses. And as much as a mini dish as it is, Boulton experimented with striking sixpence tokens in bronze that would have weighed five ounces. The latter are just patterns and were not circulated.

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Here is a Dutch award medal from ca. 1896 with the young portrait of Queen Wilhelmina, this one is approx. 77mm in diameter:

[​IMG]

8. laurentyvan

laurentyvan Active Member

scottishmoney, you do the thread proud!

Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Thanks for the info. The typical large Ptolemaic bronzes are around 40 g so a 65 g specimen is unusual. Interesting that it's id'd as an octobol. I bought one years ago from Tom Cederlind and paid way too much for it but it was 98.1 g. I do love the piece tho. I guess it's a duodecimbol?

old49er and laurentyvan like this.
  10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have an AE 47 from the 3rd Ptolemy, for a long time it was my largest coin - now it pales to others I own - some of which haven't been posted yet.

Gallienus, old49er and laurentyvan like this.
  11. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

I used to own a few of those very thick edged Portugal bronze hunks from the early 1800's (40 Reis). In a way I regret selling them a few years back but at least I made profits. They are heavier than any silver coins I've owned.

I lost my pictures of these coins but this is the 40 Reis I'm talking about.
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces22137.html

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    old49er and laurentyvan like this.
  12. Gallienus

There's a trend for pieces made by Ptolemy II to be mis-attributed to Ptolemy III. This nearly happened with my coin. I wish I could remember the characteristics but they're pretty close.

13. Gallienus

They're very impressive and not terribly expensive in full unc. They are difficult to find thus but few outside of Brazil care. I have a couple [circ] ones w/ the Sao Paulo mint mark too but not photo'd. This is a common Rio, 1828 uncirculated I bought down there. You can snipe smaller coppers in the 1750's in unc down there but I believe they were crudely made. Thus they don't look like gem US large cents even in the best of grades.

Bra_80_reis_1828R_800px_both.jpg

14. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

There was an 1832-R 80 Reis from Brazil (in XF+ condition, details poured out!) I paid only $40 dollars for in 2012, I don't have it anymore. In that condition probably is now worth around $100. I'm sure my coin wasn't cleaned. It was a well preserved piece. Should have kept it. That reminds me, I also owned a good detailed 960 Reis Silver (overstriked on a Mexico 8 Reals) dated 1824. The coin I had then I believe tripled in value since I got that one. On ebay I could have fetched $150+ for my 960 Reis... :p

old49er likes this.
  15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

KM#512 Peso, Cuba, 1988, looks like MS-69-70 to me. 39mm solid copper. I got it for my "coins with insects" coin collection about 5 years ago. a low mintage-2,500

JzfUGYn5RCWemZmrJ9Vo_$T2eC16RHJGkE9no8hmkqBRJCM+Ui(w~~60_3-1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  16. triggersmob

triggersmob World Collector

This one I guess you could call a lottery coin. You submit your name
    to the Royal Australian Mint and they pull so many names out of the
    hat and you get to hand over $100 to buy it. Mintage was only 5000.
    Diameter is 57.00mm. Weight is 85.25g. Antique copper finish.
    denomination is $10. 2014 Australia $10 - Victoria Cross.jpg

17. Gallienus

Well I'm leaving for the annual Brazilian coin society meeting & auction in a few weeks. If you email me I can pick up some bronze. Now I'm looking for stuff in the 1600's but if you want 1800 -1830's stuff, there'll be a ton of it there. Also I don't think Brazilian customs will worry about copper 40 or 80 reis coins.

18. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

This is the biggest "coin-like" thing I have - bronze plaque after one by Edward Wyon from the mid 19th century. Approx 175mm 7 Inches in diameter. Apologies for the picture quality - it is as you can see in a frame and I only have my mobile. (And before anyone tries to disappoint me, I know it is a modern reproduction - but nicely done and full weight.)
    IMG0048A.jpg IMG0042A.jpg
    (Pen for scale!)

19. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

20. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Wiveliscombe 3 pence issued by clothier J. Featherstone, 45mm, 57.9gms.

P1010224.JPG P1010225.JPG

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Even though my photos don't show it, all of the high points of this copper medal are an iridescent blue.

IMG_0152 (2)[1].JPG IMG_0153 (2)[1].JPG

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted