I like shiney silver

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GUNNER63736, Nov 3, 2020.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Being on a tighter Social Security budget these days, I still like to collect silver coins that I feel is a fair price. No rhyme nor reason to my collection, I just buy the silver piece that melts my butter at the time. Not trying to complete a set of anything in particular. I lean to the silver halves and a silver dollar every now and then. Picked these up today. AU Walking Liberty for $16.95 shipped and a BU Franky for $15.00 shipped. Not high dollar coins but at least they have a little melt value which helps me justify it to the wifey. I ain't scared of her but I sure do respect her a bunch. I just plain old enjoy my silver coins. Hope I didn't bore you with this. Do you think I paid to much? Your opinion on pricing helps me on future purchases. Educate me. 63 d rev..jpg 63 obv..jpg 43wl rev..jpg 43 WL.jpg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Nice looking coins. I'm a silver fan, too.

DarkRage666 likes this.
  4. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

very nice coins you got and IMHO I don't think you overpaid

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

capthank and ZoidMeister like this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Nice silver, yes, you gotta respect your wife! :D Happy wife makes a happy life! ;)

Cheech9712 and GUNNER63736 like this.
  7. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice shiny coins. :happy:

8. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

You have a great eye. Your collection must have some dazzling eye appeal.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I get shiny silver for free!
    1942 last year and 1943 some weeks ago
    (Metal Detecting) 20200926_192548~2.jpg

Cheech9712, JeffC, capthank and 3 others like this.
  10. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

They are nice coins no doubt.. My opinion is just mine I would say you were in the ball park in the outfield though. Good purchase if you compare it to ebay

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  11. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Dang Patty melt your going to have to build another room.. nice finds !!

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is a little advice, and I hope you can accept the spirit of it. The 1963 Franklin Half Dollar is a nice coin with original surfaces and is naturally “shiny.”

The 1943 half dollar has been whizzed. The shine you see there is from a wire brush. The coin has many tiny hairline scratches from having been brushed. Original surfaces should look more like your 1963 Franklin Half. Coins like the 1943 are okay for bullion, but they don’t command any collector interest.

This Mint State 1941 Walker has the original look. An AU would have a similar look with a rub or wear on the highest points. This is not the greatest picture, but it's have right now in my photo album.

1941 Half Dollar O.jpg 1941 Half Dollar R.jpg

john65999, capthank and Virginian like this.
  13. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

walking liberty half dollars are the shizzles (not to be confused with whizzed).. or the best looking half dollar. :) IMHO

slackaction1 likes this.
  14. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Okay, I think I looked closely at the 1943 half, and I don't see the hairline marks that you apparently do. Would you please indicate where you see them?

15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

You choose very well, great looking coins. Like they say "the price is right."

16. johnmilton

The surfaces on the 1943 don't have the right kind of luster. The guys who whizzed coins did it so that they could try to palm off EF and AU coins as Unc. The whizzing made the coins look shiny, but must mint luster is something more than just shine. Mint luster plays with the light in a unique way that can't be restored after it is gone.

The best way to learn about mint luster is to view a nice Mint State Morgan Dollar. The name "cartwheel" comes from its size, but it also can come with its luster. The reflection "rolls" around on the coin when you swirl it under a light. It sort of looks like a wheel turning.

If you look at your 1963 and your 1943 under a strong light together, you will see the difference. The difference in luster between a nice AU and a Mint State silver coin is not great. The main differences will be on the high points. There you will see some loss in design detail and a dulling of the luster.

17. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comment. Lesson learned. maybe. LOL

18. bikergeek

bikergeek Active Member

As a guy whose avatar is a '63 Franklin, I wanted to chime in! This is a good thread: collector gets to show off his new acquisitions, gets good feedback on the appearance and price, and we all learn a bit from @johnmilton. That Benji is a super nice coin and I'm sure looks great in your album. But the Walker had me puzzled too. I thought "dipped" at first but I see the whiz marks. So, John - help me out here - when I look at the shaded/contrasty parts of that walker (the fields at 3 o'clock, or the devices left of center on both obverse and reverse), that's where the hairlines are most visible to me. Is that what drew your eye first? Are there other "tells" that you noticed?

19. johnmilton

The first thing that caught my eye was the overall dullish luster. From there, the hairliness are really all over the surface.

bikergeek likes this.
  20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Collect what you like and enjoy, and hopefully can afford and get the other half's approval.

21. johnmilton

Mint State Walkers may be beyond @GUNNER63736's budget, but AUs are not. There used to be a fair number of them around, but I have not been in that market for a long time. Perhaps they have "improved" and become "Mint State" with age.

Draft saved Draft deleted