I like Cleaned Coins and you should to thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Apr 29, 2012.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

One example: acetone dip (at least for non-copper coins). It removes foreign substances, and doesn't affect the coin material itself -- the metal surface, and the metal compounds bound to it (i.e. toning).

One common definition of "proper cleaning" is "cleaning that doesn't disturb the coin's surface". An acetone dip without rubbing is proper cleaning. Rubbing with polish is improper cleaning, because it modifies (abrades) the coin's surface.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

I've heard it said here that one should rinse a coin with distilled water after an acetone dip.

Acetone evaporates in a nearly instant flash and if it does leave a minute residue, it would be an oil base. Since water and oil don't mix what would water possibly do to remove any acetone remnants. To me that step is pointless and raises the opportunity to further damage the coin or hairline it blotting off the water. Anyone?

Matt

4. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I heard it the other way round-rinsing with distilled
    water then drying up the water with acetone or
    denatured alcohol.

5. -jeffB

I'm with you. Water lingers longer on the coin, and as long as it's there, it tends to catalyze reactions with the metal of the coin. Acetone doesn't.

6. areich

areich America*s Darling

not if you use backing soda

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Actually that smile thing is kind of sad. I did a quick Google Image search and did not find one at all.

Actually for antique furniture, it can be restored. How about antique coins?

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Furniture can be properly restored, but will seldom be worth what an original is worth. Coins, can be properly preserved and retain and sometimes increase in value. But cleaned coins will never be worth what an original coin is.

9. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

Acetone leaves no residue as long as you use 100% pure acetone. The only possible residue (assuming your container with the acetone in it was very clean before hand) that might be left on the coin is the inpurities that were on the coin in the first place.

10. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me the difference between a coin dipped in acohol instead of acetone? I was told at about.com will kill any germs on the coin without affecting toning and was also told this will get rid of any oils. I know it gets rid of dirt. Should I be using acetone instead of alcohol on circulated finds instead of alcohol and then distilled water?

11. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

Is there gook on this coin roll find that I can get off?
    newmercury.jpg

12. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

This is kinda like saying the only way to properly clean a stained carpet is by vacuuming it. I suppose removal of the debris on the carpet is a given, but it's the stain part of the analogy that people tend to refer to.

13. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

you dont want to use anything after acetone. You just use the acetone.

Although doing a 2nd or even third quick rinse of acetone is usually recommended rather then one single bath.

14. AngelKitty

AngelKitty Sparkles *n* Cats

Urk. That reminds me of two commemorative half-dollars I have.

CommHDs.jpg

They've got lovely abrasions on them from some Very Smart Person probably scrubbing at them with silver polish a long time ago. Not me, I got them like this from my great-uncle, who I'm sure also knew better.

CommHDsAbrs.png

:(

15. -jeffB

I'm not following your analogy. Vacuuming a carpet beats and drags bits out of it, and will eventually wear the carpet out, although that's considered part of the normal life-cycle of carpet. Cleaning the carpet removes stuff that's stuck to the fibers (analogous to acetone-dipping a coin), as well as stuff that the fibers have absorbed (no good analogy in coins).

Coins can be "stained" by things that chemically react with the metal, and by things that just stick to it. Acetone will frequently remove the latter, but generally won't do anything about the former.

16. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

The "stain" in my analogy was representative of toning.

When people say that a coin has been "cleaned", they are typically not referring to previous removal of foreign debris from the surface. They are referring to something that was done to improve the appearance of the coin surface (lightening or removal of tarnish). When I ask about proper cleaning, I'm not referring to removal of dirt.

17. longnine009

Does the L.I have a clip on the reverse at about 11:00
    or is it a reflection?

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I was going to say they look more 'well worn' (and it appears that they have seen a bit of circulation) but after viewing those close ups......oh dear. :) Lots of folks used to clean their coins back in those days. My father took some Tarnex to an old Oregon Trail.

19. longnine009

The tip off with those is the shiny devices and dark
    protected areas. Someone used a tooth brush on those.
    :(

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

IMG_2220.jpg

Look at the dark protected areas on this pocket piece I carry. This coin has nary seen a cleaning........

21. longnine009

And a dark field and device. Nothing appears odd or out of
    order.

Draft saved Draft deleted