I like Cleaned Coins and you should to thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Apr 29, 2012.

1. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

JFYI, The processes for cleaning Gold coins generally are identical to those of Silver coins except when there are "Copper spots". A believed proprietary process of which I haven't seen a disclosure, and seldom an adequate process for removal.

JMHO

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    cplradar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Simplicity itself...if you can tell it has been cleaned, it has been cleaned. If you can't tell, it has not been cleaned. An acetone wash is not cleaning.

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You need to understand how acetone works. It's a solvent that removes dirt and organic crud. Over time, if this stuff is left on a coin, it may lead to corrosion. Unlike dips, it doesn't react with metal or toning on a coin. Lots of upside and very little downside when using acetone for short soaks.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I thought those posts looked familiar

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

BUT -

As the man said, acetone cannot and does not do ANYTHING to the coin itself ! It is physically and chemically impossible for acetone to harm the coin in any way. Which is why what you're considering in your comments can never happen !

You use the very same methods that do with any coin.

Of course it is ! Acetone removes contaminants from coins, and removing contaminants is by definition cleaning. Using distilled water, acetone, xylene, and yes even coin dip, is by definition cleaning. And when used correctly, none of them will harm a coin.

Now if you had said that using an acetone wash is not harsh or improper cleaning - you would have been correct.

Kentucky and Maxfli like this.
  7. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Not to worry. Rinsing a coin in acetone leaves no identifiable sign. No different that rinsing in water.

Edit: except for aluminum coins. Don't rinse aluminum coins in acetone.

-jeffB likes this.
  8. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

HMMMM I'll Acetone with some Cull copper and silver coins and see if it's worth it for me. that way if I don't like it I am out nothing.

9. Kentucky

That's what I meant...

10. Kentucky

Some here have reported that acetone can tone BU or proof copper coins.

11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

It’s true. I’m honestly surprised he’s allowed to get away with it since he was banned. But I guess if he behaves who cares.

12. CamaroDMD

This is the same old argument of cleaning vs improper cleaning. Any experienced collector knows that there is such a thing as acceptable (non-damaging) cleaning.

13. Kentucky

Was he banned or did he just stop?

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

He took over this site with so many threads with just links and nothing anyone cared for. Now You can only tell who is posting based on the writing style. I don't care but they could be honest about who is actually posting.

15. CamaroDMD

I’m pretty sure Reuben was banned. But it was so long ago maybe I’m remembering it wrong.

16. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I have seen, however, situations where you soak a coin in acetone and then when it dries, leftover carbides or oxides precipitate on the coin in a pattern around the letters and devices, even if you pat it dry. I am not sure how to defeat this yet.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  17. CamaroDMD

Don’t let the acetone dry on the coin. Rinse the coin with distilled water after it’s removed from the acetone.

imrich and Kentucky like this.
  18. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

If you have this problem, the acetone is dirty and needs to be changed. You can also use a second container with acetone. Soak in one, then remove and give it a quick rinse in the second bath.

Most of this stuff is covered in detail in older threads. I recommend checking the archives. You've been here long enough to know how that works

John Skelton likes this.
  19. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

He is not getting away with anything because this is my account and I use it. Truthfully, you chatterboxes should be ashamed of yourselves. My father never did anything wrong to any of you, other than sharing coins and his network resources, and you just continue with a witch hunt. It is unwarranted.

I try to keep things informative and light on all my posts and you guys are vicious.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/hello-i-am-shmuel.19453/#post-172143

20. Kentucky

Yeah, I see how vicious they were on you...

21. CamaroDMD

I never said one negative thing to or about your father. But, he was kicked off the forum for violating the rules. That’s not my fault and there is nothing that I should be ashamed for.

But he clearly uses your account and as a banned member…that’s putting your account at risk.

Draft saved Draft deleted