I like Cleaned Coins and you should to thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Apr 29, 2012.

1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Ketchup stains the fingers. Garum sauce fermentation.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

BTW - we are talking about coins encrusted in limestone. The limestone disolves in a mild acid bath.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Call 'em up, that's all it takes, they'll talk to ya.

As for museums, as a general rule, when it comes to cleaning coins I wouldn't trust any museum to do the work because what many if not most of them call safe methods - aren't.

Do you know how the Smithsonian used to and probably still does take care of the US Coin Collection ? The pick the coins up and wipe them down with rags. And many if not most museums do it the same way. Not exactly what I'd call proper cleaning.

As for this -

I agree. And there are those who know how to do it correctly, safely, for each situation and many more who don't.

If you wanna talk about that 100 year old coin in an envelope then I'd talk to a member of this forum @Insider as he is an acknowledge expert on the subject.

If you want to talk about shipwreck coins then I'd talk to Robert (Bob) Evans, he's the best I know of.

If you want to talk about a 1400 year old, or older, coin found in the desert then I'd talk to @dougsmit , also a member of this forum and acknowledged authority in the subject.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

This may have been true at one time long ago: "Do you know how the Smithsonian used to and probably still does take care of the US Coin Collection ? The pick the coins up and wipe them down with rags. And many if not most museums do it the same way. Not exactly what I'd call proper cleaning."

In fact, during the tenure of at least two of the curators (who shall remain unnamed) of our National Coin Collection, a large number of coins were ruined forever by improper cleaning! Several years ago NGC slabbed some coins in the collection. I don't know how many were conserved and slabbed. Unfortunately, they cannot restore a polished coin. :(

Kentucky and cplradar like this.
  6. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I didn't mean it to sound like I am defending the Smithsonian, or all museums. I only ment to point out how museums have art conservation experts and that it is a large business and a lot of research dollars poured into it. I don't think they respect coin collectors or coins. FWIW, the Met has no modern coins, and I believe that is a policy.

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not that I have ever heard of.

cplradar likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Where did you get this idea?

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I agree with ya on that. But when it comes to coins, some if not even many of their "experts" - aren't so expert. And what they think the proper way to do things is, the numismatic world doesn't !

Now granted, this is not true every single case. Some of those experts are true experts on coins. But those guys don't do what all the other guys do - they know better ! In the end it's just like it is with any other trade, there's those who know what they are doing and do it. And there's those who "think" they know what they are doing - but don't.

buckeye73, cplradar and ldhair like this.
  10. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

from field work

11. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

The way the major museums attack this problem is by developing in house consortium, and research labs, that bring in who they recognize as there best experts in restoration and cleaning. It is actually an invisible but major activities of these museums. Museums are far more than just locals to display artifacts, but, like the Museum of Natural History for example which from the start had to have in house labs and world leading research facilities (think dinosaur fossils from Mongolia), they are the major source for expertise and manpower for the technology of art preservation, cleaning and reconstruction. This is one of my favorite videos on this - it is a fun watch.

12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I meant to add, this is where the ANA can really take a step forward.

13. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Cooper and Silver looks like hell from ship wrecks, FWIW.

14. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

well, I think they are linked to cancer.

15. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

16. Insider

MIGuy, ldhair and eddiespin like this.
  17. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I clean all my coins.
    Would you rather have this:
    IMG_E9246.JPG

Or this:
    Trajan AR Drachm Syd Bostra 385.jpeg

MIGuy likes this.
  18. Insider

I properly clean my coins too when needed. However, there are coins, and there are COINS. Nothing less than strong acid could further ruin the example coin you posted. You have made it more desirable. ;) Coins as this are excellent to practice on.

Unfortunately, on a daily basis, I see COINS that have lost much of their value $$$ and have been ruined forever by all the misinformation around.

ldhair and eddiespin like this.
  19. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Ah yes, I have heard so many stories where some well-meaning individual "gave those old coins a nice scrub" when referring to a stack of CC Morgans or whatever.

Reminds me of, rather unrelated, but similar horror story: The Elgin Marbles of the Parthenon.
    Over the course of a couple decades, museum staff used copper tools to gouge, chip, and scrape away the entirety the statues' patinas, removing 2-5mm of natural surface, in some instances.

There is also a story of the maid in Ince Blundell hall giving the antiquities in the house a "good scrubbing" with washing soda and other abrasives every spring to make them "look better."

Big oof

midas1 likes this.
  20. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

When I went to the Brittish Museum to see the Partheon Freeze, I was disappointed by the quality of the art. The surfaces are not what one would expect if they've seen similarly aged art, such as in the Prado, and, to me, they were otherwise uninspiring. They are not designed to be seen up close, but from up high. I suppose I was underwhelmed by revolutionary technique of the art. Normally, when I see an exhibit like that, I try to photograph it, but the collection itself is extensive, and not all of it is great. I ended up taking a video of the exhibit itself. Overall, I just don't this it is the most enjoyable experience one can have at a museum (for that see the Kroller-Muller Museum in the Netherlands). It is sad the hear that the statues were mistreated at museums. It is actually remarkable how often museums damage art. We have learned a great deal about this since WWII, and hopefully don't repeat historical errors. The cleaning of the Sixtine Chapel put of a firestorm of criticism.

21. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I just can't help but feel there must be some way of getting those deflating finger prints off of proofs.

midas1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted