I like Cleaned Coins and you should to thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Apr 29, 2012.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Odd you should say that. I've been keeping my head down in this thread to avoid the flying poo.

Mainebill, Insider and Santinidollar like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yet you're apparently fine with flinging your own.... how ironic but perfectly predictable.

I could be wrong, but don't think Insider much minds, and I bet he hasn't cried once over it. Too bad everyone so quick and willing to throw their own little jabs can't take equally as well.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I stepped right into that :stinkyfeet: :hilarious::hilarious::stinkyfeet:. I've definitely been out bantered :facepalm:.

Insider is down but not out: "Yo momma is so..."

5. Insider

"Poo" is only in the face of the beholder. I'll take all the poo that's coming/flinging if I can learn from it. Often a little poo slinging leads to agreement or clarification. Best case happens when BOTH the flingers/receivers leave thinking they are correct.

PS I'm still looking for a suitable PROOF to use a dry toothpick on:cool::cigar:

6. Insider

@JeffB said "I've been keeping my head down in this thread to avoid the flying poo."

Apparently one member :grumpy::sour: is still watching where he steps and was quick to take offense at the harmless and entertaining post above.
    AMEN, you must be standing on a mirror :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

7. Jim Peters

Jim Peters New Member

Hi Kentucky,
    Sorry, I have a lot of learning to do. This is the first forum I've posted on & I don't always listen to my wife, also a collector, when she tells me to read the rules first, same goes with directions. Don't always like to admit it but when I don't listen to her I get in trouble, or lost, or both! Playful & having fun is definitely better than being not!

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Jim Peters

Jim Peters New Member

I have a question regarding cleaning around and inside a grungy mint mark on a copper wheat cent when I cannot see it even using a scope whether it's an RPM or not. What should I use?

9. Insider

It sounds like you have not done this before. I have (and many others here I'll guess) so you will be in good hands. Apparently you will be using a stereo scope too? What is the highest power? Do you have a florescent lamp?

First: What is the date and mint of the coin. That will determine the treatment.

10. Jim Peters

Jim Peters New Member

No key dates, and none in particular but I have a bunch that have mostly D marks and am getting into the great world of error coins.

11. Jim Peters

Jim Peters New Member

I forgot, yes I have fluorescent lamp but no stereo scope.

12. Insider

Cleaning around a mint mark is a common practice. Sounds like you just have some dirty coins you wish to check out. Without knowing exactly what you have (date, composition), I'm going to shut up and let others give you advice about soaking, conservation , and various chemicals/treatments. There are plenty of more knowledgeable people here that can give you excellent advice.

13. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Any reason why hi temp hi pressure distilled water isn't a good idea?

14. Insider

I've never used it...but thought I would try something like that when I saw a unit at a jewelry supply store. Some kind of high pressure steam cleaner with a little nozzle. Unfortunately I never did...company I worked at was doing just fine without it.

15. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

anyone use baking soda on crusty pennys?

16. Insider

I've used soda on all types of coins and all types of metal (except Pt) but only as an experiment. Professional conservators use it. I've seen spot treatments by them that are virtually undetectable.

I would never have believed it BUT I also have seen professionals "soda" BU coins in such a fashion that I could not see any hairlines on them - even using a stereo microscope!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    serafino likes this.
  17. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

That is not the scuttlebut we hear. He won't talk about it, but he was/is very angry. At one time our house was filled with postcards from members, from all over the world. After the coins were stolen, I think he got doubly depressed about the coin collecting community in general.

BUT, as I asked, is it common to see whizzed coins on ebay of near gems?

Radar

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

My apologies, but I'm a bit confused on what you're asking. If is it common to see whizzed coins being offered as "gem", it certainly happens.

Insider likes this.
  19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

On feebay all kinds of problem crap is called gem. Including made in China fakes

Insider likes this.
  20. Insider

@Mainebill
    @BooksB4Coins

It's my bedtime.:yawn: Tomorrow is a work day. How late do you all stay up on CT? Are you retired?

21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I work 7 days a week usually. Been taking time off some lately to spend with my girlfriend but today I worked from 9 am to 8:45 pm Is why you seldom see me here during the day

Draft saved Draft deleted