I like Cleaned Coins and you should to thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

See, I told you BooksB4Coins (just using him as an example again) is one of the members who know their way around CT. As a short time member, I never considered any of his latest comments and I treated every poster the same.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Jim, if you will allow me to correct the oversight, welcome to the club. I'm Alan.

4. Jim Peters

Jim Peters New Member

Hi Alan, very pleased to meet you! I came off as a jerk in my first post. I must have been in a stressed mood. From the threads I've read you are a well known & well respected member. I look forward to learning & sharing my finds with everyone on CT. Wish you a great day,
    Jim

Santinidollar likes this.
  5. Insider

Not to me! Everything you said was 100% true. It's like you landed on Mars and commented on what you saw in the Martian Culture...:android::angelic::arghh::blackalien::bucktooth::chicken::cigar::cold::nailbiting::lurking::happy::grumpy::oldman::pigeon::playful::pompous::rage::shame::):smug::sour::troll::wacky::yack::yawn::mad::confused:o_O...We be all here. ;);)

Jim Peters likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

This is what is known as hijacking a thread. I know you didn't intend to, but you must realize that your feelings have little to do with cleaning coins. BTW, welcome to the site. You might take some back-and-forth banter to be meanness and it sometimes devolves into that. Chill, read some and get to know the people. I found it interesting that your mood started with creative, went to sad and is now at playful...stay at playful, it's better for your health...not back to the thread under consideration:

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Please stop with the emoticons.

8. Insider

I love them! But OK. It is kind of "Girlie-Man." I've never grown up. Too bad the moderator can't block them on my screen. I'm addicted. I really, really want to add one here.

9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Can't the Moderators block this "I Love Cleaned Coins" thread?

It's like the beast that never dies!

Insider likes this.
  10. Insider

Please no! I'm still back at the earliest pages looking for information about cleaning coins.
    IMO, what you are asking (unless you are joking) would be like the censorship that goes on in certain foreign countries. Perhaps, the citizens of those countries are accustomed to that policy and see no harm in espousing the practice. I'm against the idea.

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@Jim Peters, welcome to CT!

IMO, this site is tame compared to another I visit regularly. It can be down right brutal when evaluating posted coins; HOWEVER, the member base on both sites (CT and the site that shall not be named) are very experienced and are giving their unfettered opinion.

When I first joined both, I decided I would learn from the replies given and not be offended. IMO, brutal honesty beats BS and day of the week.

Stick around and have some fun.

Insider likes this.
  12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

My knowledge of the subject is not the issue here. Unlike certain others on this forum, I do not flaunt my qualifications (or simply make them up) in order to appear knowledgeable, but instead rely on the content of my posts. If you wish to discuss such matters, start another thread, tag me, and I'll be sure to participate, but until then your insistence that I bow to your demand is nothing more than simple deflection; you're trying to divert focus onto me instead of acknowledging or even considering that a very reasonable and valid corrective point was made. Instead we have this little tangent, you flinging poo, and acting as if you're somehow the grand overseer of all that's good and holy.

Now, for one last try to clarify the OBVIOUS....

A toothpick, without an additional qualifying statement, can indeed cause scratches; this is not intelligently debatable. It also doesn't matter that you add the "professional" warning for the simple fact that there are many who will snear at the idea. If you've even half the experience in this business you claim, you should know damn well that there are many - too many - out there who hear only what they want to hear, and see only what they want to see. Can you honestly say that you've never heard the old "I know not to clean coins, but nice and shiny sell for more money" or "red (now pink) is worth more than yucky brown" or the countless other idiotic excuses people have used to justify cutting their own throats? If not, you really need to get with the real world here. When one makes a statement that can potentially be harmful, they need to qualify it as if talking to a child. I realize this sounds harsh, and I'm sorry for it, but it's the truth. When someome says "dipping coins is perfectly acceptable", they need to give dilution or at least timing instructions so that someone doesn't run off to the jewelry store, grab a container, and toss their coins in overnight; after all, it's perfectly acceptable, right? Just as we see here day in and day out people who don't think they'd benefit from dealer assistance, there are those who assume that they can do just as good of a job as the next guy, and end up responsible for the permanent destruction of many fine coins.

Perhaps what this forum needs is a hippocratic oath of sorts where certain members with a penchant for opening their mouths, in the name of doing no unintended harm, promise to actually think before they do so. And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.. I see skies of blue.......

13. Insider

Good point. ZZZzzzzz

14. BooksB4Coins

I know, I know.... I should've dressed it up with 36,000 little schmuckish smiley faces to make it more readable and, ahem, "interesting". Yeah... that's the ticket (roll eyes here).

15. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I still think the best way to clean coins is with either a Brillo pad or a wire brush!! Especially early silver :p

Santinidollar and Insider like this.
  16. Insider

I have a better suggestion. Take forty-nine cents and write to someone who cares. I got off your "train to silly-town" a while back. Here's one for you:cool:

17. Insider

For anyone on the "silly train" still interested:

I just found a coin to run an EXPERIMENT with. As I don't believe in :yack::yack::yack::yack: - I'm from the SHOW ME not - the TELL ME branch of Numismatics.

Now you'll need to trust me :cool::shifty: on this. In my joyous rush to validate the statement that: "Toothpicks don't damage coins; people do;" I forgot to take a before micrograph of the "N." Nevertheless, I found a lesser amount of the identical "verdigris" residue on a leaf.

DISCLAMER: Don't use dry toothpicks on coins. Proper conservation can be done using a stereo scope, chemicals, a "sharpened" toothpick, AND YEARS OF EXPERIENCE. :yawn:

I took a large cent and scraped off the gunk using a round, "unsharpened," BONE DRY toothpick. The coin came out fine...no hairlines. NOTE: THIS IS NOT CONSIDERED to be a PROPER method of conservation. Maybe I just got lucky :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

You be the judge.:cool::cigar:

PS: For you nitpickers - If this coin were sent in for conservation, I would have spent more time and taken off ALL the "micro-green" still left on the "N." It's NOT worth the time as all of this could have been done in seconds w/chemicals!
    PSS: I'll see if I can find a PROOF next :punch:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  18. BooksB4Coins

Well gahh-lee (in my best Gomer Pyle voice).... sumptin musa done sunk in, huh Andy? Sha-zam!

Now, dear enlightened one; was that so hard?

Insider likes this.
  19. Insider

Nope, you're a good teacher.:kiss:

BTW Did you just see anything fly past, just above your head? :cool:

20. BooksB4Coins

Nope... tis hard to when I have to keep my eyes peeled to the ground, as to hopefully not step in the poo. ;)

Insider likes this.
  21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted