I like Cleaned Coins and you should to thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

It was run over by a horse and buggy....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

I didn't even send it in, i just got it for a low price alread slabbed you silly goose!

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Very interesting... considering they are two different coins.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Ruben, although doubtful, some young beginner may not see the sarcasm you are weaving into your threads lately. It would be good to use the :D smilie to indicate such. Your high posting number might indicate more expertise and experience than most, so I think such a person should have some consideration for the more coin naive beginners.

Thanks ,

Jim

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

:)

7. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I also do not mind cleaned coins. In fact, some of my favorite coins in the collection are cleaned out the wazoo. Like these:

Large Cent Obv.jpg Large Cent Rev.jpg
    Quarter Obv.jpg Quarter Rev.jpg

OK, so the obverse of the quarter is a bit overdone. But, I still enjoy looking at them. Whizzing, artificial toning, and all. Plus, I get them at a discounted price ;)

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

For the love of God people, STOP CLEANING YOUR COINS!!!!! I understand that sometimes conservation is needed to protect the coin from future damage. I use NCS or a simple dip in acetone for that purpose. Every other method of cleaning is WRONG and is doing damage to the coin. It is our duty as collectors to preserve coins for future generations. Please do your part.

9. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I would imagine its acetone, since thats the only method I know of. Maybe there are other ways? idk.

10. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

For the most rugged coin I have seen endearing that kinda abuse, I am quite overwhelmed with a weird feeling.

That feeling?
    Full. Of. Want.
    Mainly just for the slab :)

11. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I have set books that were my grandfathers and I am going to work on them with my copper penny stash. I don't do anything to those and they are disgunting. I mean I found hair and tissue pieces amongst other crap on some of these rolls. I think I will just throw them in the sink and wash them with soap instead of dunking them in alcohol. They are just copper memorial cents, nothing special.

12. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Haha that was my reasoning too, i rarely see NCS slabs with three problems, and this is the only one atleast i have seen. I'm sure there are others though. I'm surpised there isnt corrosion, because there is a crater like corrosion problem the size of a pinhole on the reverse...so soon it will be:

Bent, damaged, cleaned, holed, corrosion

13. buddy16cat

You probably got a good deal too.

14. Trants4md

Trants4md Member

Well now, to me that is the only way you can clean a coin without leaving damage Kirk, so it is the only thing I would be talking about if I said "I cleaned it before slabbing it,"

I make sure there are no finger oils on the coin from an unknown with a very brief acetone bath and rinse it well in distilled water before patting them dry with an extremely soft cloth's I keep on hand for that. Even the towels are never handled naked handed and need frequent cleaning or replacing as the opportunity arises.

Now all of that said, I don't think there are more beautiful coins than the Proof, cameo or not, either is good!
    I like all the coins that are struck to be the "best of the best" of any production still in that perfect mint condition and finish. Those are the beauties.

From there, well interesting coins are interesting coins, colorful coins are colorful coins and they get a place in my heart somewhere just below the perfect strike still pristine! I also still appreciate the old circulated coin as well, just not at much.

15. buddy16cat

What kind of acetone do you use, the nail acetone or the stuff from the hardware store? Both say 100% acetone? I have just been using alcohol, not only is it good for gritty dirty coins, it kills germs. I through my copper Lincoln memorial cents in the sink and added water and shampoo and swished it around and then rinsed. The goop came off on the towel I used to dry them. I am not going to fuss over these pennies before I worked on my grandfather's set books he had. I took out a load of laundry and thought to myself, why didn't I just throw them in with the laundry? I am sure many circulated coins have went through someone's laundry before.

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

You should not clean important coins

17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Sounds good. And since all coins that I have in my collection are important to me ... :p

Christian

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I'd make another comment but Jim will be mad at me again

19. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah, some people like cleaned coins and try everything possible so that it won't show on the coins. Then they come on coin forums and passionately defend their actions. In California we call them 5150, what are they called in NY? :D

20. Gedon_Althor

Gedon_Althor Member

Methinks he is trying to drive the market on good conditioned coins by having slews of noobs clean coins and therefore devalue their coins, thus making his coins statistically more rare in an uncleaned state..... Ohhh Dr. Evil I presume??? We're not so different you and I. What a devious plan you've hatched.....

21. Gedon_Althor

Gedon_Althor Member

I'm a Cali Native and am familiar with "5150"... Now I'm LEO in FL and we call them "Signal-20".

~Justin

Draft saved Draft deleted