I just missed this coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marc Aceton, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I admit I do it on purpose sometimes. If I see a coin that I think is too cheap I'll bid knowing that I won't win it. If I win it's a good buy, and if I don't then I made someone else pay more for it.

medoraman and Valentinian like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree. There is benefit to the auction company of underbidders, it still does not lessen the sting if its you and you really wanted the coin though. :(

Hiddendragon likes this.
  4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

What's the most frustrating is when you watch an auction for like six days and the whole time it's sitting there with one bid for $3, so you get all excited thinking surely you'll win it, and in the last minute 24 bids come in and push it up to $200.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Lol, I hear you. Auctions on other sites are up for a month of more sometimes. Even worst. I was looking at a coin a long time, and was high bidder for over three weeks once. I thought I bid strong, bidding $400 with a $100 estimate, it went for $420 at the very last second. Eh, we cannot bemoan the ones we lost, since there are so many more left to collect. At my local club last night I splurged, (did I mention my birthday is tomorrow? I am using that excuse a lot), and got:

1. VF Galba sestertius
    2. VF Hadrian sestertius, (hispania travel series)
    3. G Hadrian drachm, (depicting the Pharos)
    4. Two really high relief Kushan bronzes.

So, sometime you lose, other times you can hit the jackpot!

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted