I just joined the Julius Caesar portrait club!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by johnmilton, Aug 7, 2020.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Last week one of our members was pleased to announce that he had just joined that select group of collectors who have a Julius Caesar portrait coin in their collections. I knew that this was in the works, but I didn't know if it would work out. As it turned out, it did.

I know that this piece is quite off-center and that it was issued, probably in 43 BC, the year after Julius Caesar died. Still it's nice portrait of the Roman dictator, later to be hailed as an emperor. Furthermore it cost less than half the amounts that I had seen for "really nice" Caesar portrait coins in slabs. Some of them were not that nice at all, but still high priced.

Julius Caesar.jpg

As added bonus, Mark Antony is one the obverse. I know have this coin backwards, but I didn't buy it for the sake of Mark Antony.

The history of this piece is rather interesting. Mark Antony had made at time when he was sort of down and out. It was probably made in a military camp somewhere in Gaul with a tree stump for an anvil. Here is what I've been able to learn about this period:

This usual two headed denarius was struck while Mark Antony and Octavian were doing battle with the Roman Senate. Antony had suffered a military defeat at the hands of a Senate led army. The Senate, which was under the influence of Cicero, opposed the pro-Caesarian faction. Caesar’s nephew, Octavian, got command of eight Senatorial legions when both consuls were killed in battle.

Although Antony had lost a battle, he had not lost the war. He retreated with his forces to Cisalpine Gaul where he waited while Octavian returned to Rome and dealt with Senatorial politics. Antony greatly strengthened his position when he formed another alliance with Marcus Aemlius Lepidus who was the governor of Transalpine Gaul and Spain. That alliance gave him 17 more legions.

This coin, like so many Roman coins, served a political purpose. It reminded the soldiers and the civilians that Antony was loyal to Julius Caesar and his memory. Seven months later, Antony, Octavian and Lepidus formed the Second Triumvirate to defeat Caesar’s assassins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Huzzah! Congratulations on joining the hallowed halls. How's the air up there? :)

jamesicus and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coin, congrats.

[​IMG]
    Julius Caesar (February-March 44 B.C)
    AR Denarius
    O: Wreathed head of Caesar right; CAESAR downward to right, DICT PERPETVO upward to left.
    R:Venus Victrix standing left, holding Victory in outstretched right hand and vertical scepter in left; L • BVC[A] downwards to right. L. Aemilius Buca, moneyer.
    Rome Mint
    3.92g
    17mm
    Crawford 480/8; Alföldi Type XIV, 62–3, 67, and 69 (A13/R22); CRI 105; Sydenham 1061; RSC 23; RBW 1683.

jamesicus, Carl Wilmont, TIF and 13 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Congrats, @johnmilton

Here is mine, pounded out 2 weeks before his Execution by the Senate for Crimes against the State, Killing the Republic, and Genocide.

upload_2020-8-7_14-0-17.png
    Roman Imperatorial - Death of the Republic
    Julius Caesar Lifetime
    P Sepullius Macer moneyer
    AR Denarius
    1st 2 weeks-Mar 44 BCE
    4.03g.
    CAESAR – DICT PERPETVO Veiled -
    Venus Victory sceptre star
    Syd 1074a Sear Imperators 107e Cr 480-14
    R -2

6. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Welcome to our club @johnmilton , I checked the by-laws and posthumous portrait issues are perfectly acceptable. Please remember to forward your initiation fee and first year's membership dues to me, as treasurer of the club :cigar: (Note for the humor-impaired: The previous sentence was a joke, the "club" is not a real organization and no money changes hands.) Guess I get to share my JC again:
    Julius Caesar.jpg

7. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Well here's mine but being poor I can only afford copper. One day though I'll look for a nice silver one but with the present coin frenzy I'm holding off. Also I need a new dive computer & an underwater camera.

Rome_Rep_Julius-C_sest_both_2011_0800px.jpg
    Octavian Caesar sestersius/dupondius
    issued 38 BC VF condition
    Obv: Portrait of Octavian
    Rev: Portrait of Julius Caesar
    (NFA: Numismatic Fine Arts Auction, ca.1990)

I'd like to get more historical background on these. I should try to find the place of minting. These come in 2 styles: somewhat crude & cheap and really nice & expensive. This is a particularly nice one among the "somewhat crude & cheap" group.

I should really find the exact provinance I hate to pay ex-nummis all that money just to look up a NFA listing though.

8. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

And what a great coin to join the club with, @johnmilton! Two great portraits with a strong political message. Overall a very nice coin in my opinion and itt being off flan is just a minor detail. Interesting to note is that Mark Antony and Octavian were not the best of buddies when Octavian accepted the will of Caesar, and adopting Caesar's name. Mark Anotony continuously patronized Octavian, despite Octavian having the loyalty of many of Caesars former legionairs/veterans.

In any case, here's my portrait coin of the dictator himself, before he was struck down by a mad bunch of blade-swinging senators.
    Julius Caesar portrait.png

And i'll throw in the portrait issue of Mark Antony, below (off flan and reverse weakly struck. Nevertheless a powerfull portrait):
    Marcus Antonius bare head.png

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

10. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Congrats on the purchase!!

Mine is very worn but I love it..

upload_2020-8-7_20-50-0.png
    Large AE portrait of Julius Caesar. Imperatorial Era: Octavian/Augustus and Divus Julius Caesar, Orichalcum Sestertius, 29mm, 12.98 gm, 2h. Mint in Italy, 38 BC. Obv: CAESAR DIVI F bare head of Octavian right Rx: DIVOS IVLIVS laureate head of Julius Caesar right (here Caesar shown on the left).

11. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Wellcome to the club, John. Great coin with both JC and M.Anthony depicted.

These 2 are in my 12 Caesar sets (bronze & silver)

@Gallienus , I think your bronze coin is excellent, mine is more rather cheap & crude

P1210028best.jpg

P1230084 aaa (7) best.jpg

12. Gallienus

Thanks, I get a lot of mileage out of mine as I use it in my school presentations. I see that they're listed as an Italian mint. Is there any additional info beyond that?

jamesicus, +VGO.DVCKS and TJC like this.
  13. HoledandCreative

HoledandCreative Well-Known Member

@Bing I like that gold plug.

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I don't think it's gold; it just came out that color in the image. The coin was formerly holed and mounted. I suppose that is how I got it so cheaply.

rrdenarius, jamesicus and Alegandron like this.
  15. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Nice OP caesar portrait coin! Congrats!!

jamesicus and johnmilton like this.
  16. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

Not in the most wonderful condition, but I purchased this a decade ago from Harlan Berk because I appreciated the expressive portraits. The description of the coin included this note: "From a collection formed by a schoolboy in the 1950's, bought chiefly from Ben's Stamp and Coin Company in Chicago." Photo from Berk.

zzz.jpg

17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great score @johnmilton

Even though it's not a lifetime issue, I particularily like this type because of the dual portraits. And there are several at this time/period to be in search for. Here are some, in addition to the Caesar/MA one

MA and Caesar :
    [​IMG]

Octavian and Lepidus :
    [​IMG]

MA and Octavian :
    [​IMG]

MA and his brother Lucius Antonius :
    [​IMG]

Q

18. Gallienus

There is a thread here giving the classification of the four? different varieties of J. Caesar Elephant coins. Would anyone have the link?

jamesicus likes this.
  19. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Edessa likes this.
  20. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

Thanks Broucheion, very interesting!

Broucheion likes this.
  21. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Denarius, Crawford, Roman Republican Coins (RRC), No. 480/8 (March 44 BC - Alfoldi)

Coin obverse depiction: Julius Caesar wreathed head facing right
    Inscription clockwise from right: [CAESAR DICT] PERPETVO (Dictator in Perpetuity)

Coin reverse depiction: Venus standing, facing left, holding statuette of victory on palm of right hand and supporting vertical scepter with left hand
    Inscription vertical to right: L BVCA (L. Aemilius Buca, Moneyer)

Weight: 3.5g

Congratulations John - on your very nice coin!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted