I just heard about this sale.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Insider, Nov 30, 2020.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

They still do, they hold about 2/3rds of the stock.

Insiders at CLCT only hold about 3% of the company. So they must know something about job security because they're not making out like bandits with the stock, the class-action vultures notwithstanding. :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yes, PCGS and NGC have been been gaining ground in the mostly untapped foreign market overseas. You see many more graded coins in foreign auctions particularly in England and even the Royal mint directly sells some graded coins now for brand new releases that they have graded.

It's pretty big. They had left a lot of money on the table by not doing that themselves

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yep no reason to expect any big leadership changes considering the top for CU and PCGS were both relatively new hires.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I didn't say I did see it happening - I said was wondering IF it would happen. They own at least 12 different subsidiaries. And I wonder because selling off or just closing down various parts of large companies is rather common when those companies get bought out.

6. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

That's why I could never own anything like that. I'm definitely not outstanding in that realm.

7. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

But when JA is no longer around will there be a new sticker game in town. Maybe in 100 years there will be slabs with beans, cherries, ... on them. Someone will collect slabs just for the stickers.

8. Idoono

Idoono Member

ok sorry for being the new guy here but are you the self appointed hall monitor? I was actually interested in the discussion you nuked.

Just wondering,

Idoono

CamaroDMD and Insider like this.
  9. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Maybe he could give them grading lessons

jtlee321 likes this.
  10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Hey Big Time Dealer. Have you ever sent a coin to ICG for grading? I've found that in many cases folks who bad mouth any company like to appear to be informed.

We have a special going for CT members $10 per coin. I challenge you to pay $25 return postage and insurance and send us 5 coins for free. There is a catch. I'll post images of the coins with the grade covered and will do a GTG. You agree to post what you think they grade with the rest of the CT members who reply. Then before sending them back, you can ask me to return them raw or still slabbed.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I didn't nuke anything. I didn't report anything, either. A moderator removed posts that were off-topic and political in nature. Politics is not allowed here.

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

This is true. Based on what I have seen, PCGS and PSA/DNA are their two biggest brands.

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You should take @Insider up on his offer.
    I think that all of us would enjoy the guess's
    Maybe take your photos first and start the game, tag @Insider to post some good photos. Please Insider have someone photo them for you, your stereo microscope just isn't gonna work this time.

KBBPLL, Insider and CamaroDMD like this.
  14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’ll play on that one lol. This could be fun

Pickin and Grinin and jtlee321 like this.
  15. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'm sure someone else would gladly take you up on that offer even if the person you quoted does not. 5 coins graded for $25 and a GTG out of it would make it worth it.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Skip, you do know that @Phil's Coins was making fun of Ed Wood, not taking a pot shot at ICG, right?

I would take the challenge as long as you promise not to be one of the graders and promise not to tell anyone else at ICG about said challenge. Also, you have shown that you can't image entire coins, so I would provide you with the images to post for the gtg threads.

Do you need all the coins to be different series?

brg5658 likes this.
  17. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

:hilarious:

Insider and Lehigh96 like this.
  18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Since you've said that, I can go back and read it that way, but I interpreted it as a shot at ICG the first time.

Pickin and Grinin and wxcoin like this.
  19. Insider

Lehigh96, post: 5180539, member: 15309"]Skip, you do know that @Phil's Coins was making fun of Ed Wood, not taking a pot shot at ICG, right?

My comment was directed to the poster who wrote they mostly collect world coins and ICG foreign coin grading "IS ALL OVER THE PLACE." I failed to "quote the post which has now - AFAIK -has been deleted. I still believe it was that Big time dealer I addressed the challenge to.

Now, if whomever made the claim fails to admit it and back up his claim, either with examples or my challenge there will be no GTG.

Stay tuned - I have an idea.

20. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Your failure to communicate clearly is astounding.

KBBPLL and brg5658 like this.
  21. Insider

:oops: :sorry: My apologies to Phil's Coins. I posted my challenge in the wrong discussion while posting in two different threads.

I FOUND the mystery "Big Man."

brg5658, posted: "No matter what their self-written bios say, this is far too small a team of “experts” to have any hopes of them being able to properly or consistently grade coins from over the past 1500 years across hundreds of countries/principalities.

Non-USA coins are where I primarily collect, and ICG is all over the place.

:facepalm: Second attempt for you to :spitoutdummy: verify the nonsense posted above:

Original CHALLENGE: As a proclaimed foreign coin expert (because of your opinion above), let's see some poorly graded ICG World Coins with blue labels. Some links will do. We can all play guess the grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted