I just heard about this sale.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Insider, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

It would be good to know the circumstances. It could be the majority stockholders wanted their payday. Either the officers of the company stay on or are let go. It could be a disaster at the lower levels from a moral standpoint, working for a hedge fund means lowering overhead and pumping out product.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Might want to check the history of who controlled the stock

Razz likes this.
  4. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

You are the one who said a hedge fund owned a large share of stock, so Nat Turner can't take the company private until they own 51% of thw stock and them buyout the remaining shares. One way is to give the formers officers a stake (who presumably hold rhe majority position in the corporation) in the new company and/or give the hedge fund a stake. Either way moral at the lower levels will be shot if the minions didn't own PCGS stock.

5. baseball21

The sale is pretty public. Can read the details there

So many of these concerns were the same as the change over years ago yet they've excelled

Razz likes this.
  6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I am sure the company will do fine and it is wonderful to work for.

7. baseball21

8. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

OTOH, the company probably never should be public. It's not a business that should be run for quarterlies.

OTOH, the 2 owners are looking to profit-maximize and if this is a debt-laden transaction, future quality control issues will be focused on.

9. GoldFinger1969

This company's stock did NOTHING for 20 years...then in the last year or so it more than triples to an ATH. From the March low, it's up 5-fold.

10. baseball21

Almost like it's much better run now and doing paper notes again in house was a positive change :D

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  11. GoldFinger1969

I don't know what that insider joke means....but the underlying thesis that more people at home leads to more people online and taking up coins and collectibles....I find plausible. Not convinced....but plausible.

That said, I want to see the numbers in the 10-Q's the last few quarters and see the raw numbers going up. This could be a "cheap" way for Cohen and D1 to buy an online, at-home play on the cheap. Cohen is a value investor and to buy something up those percentages from the March lows and from a year ago....a company that certainly never got growth stock status but was seen as mostly a liquid currency for the founders and employees.

12. baseball21

Was only half a joke. Since the new guys have come in the company has been much more forward thinking and did bring back note grading as just one thing. Shipping costs for submitters went down as well (which I'd bet they still make money on) to name a few things. They've done very well under the new leadership and a forward thinking investment that they will grow and keep their place it makes sense

13. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

It would be hilarious if this Nat Turner guy has been Ed Wood the entire time. What we took for comedic farce has just been some ungodly rich guy with no social graces. lol

14. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know about the morale at the lower level but a change in the lower level moral behavior would be an unknown.

15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I read it as cherrypicking grades or dealers who price ANACS well below the grade marked even though the grade is accurate

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    jtlee321 likes this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Depends on the coin type and PCGS era. I won’t ever EVER buy a PCGS large cent sight unseen. I would buy a PCGS Morgan sight unseen.

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And outstanding bladder control. Don't forget that.

wxcoin likes this.
  18. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

It does vary from series to series, I agree. From what I have seen it is bad on older copper.

19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

baseball21, posted: "Do you honestly think such replays are helping your company?"

I'm interested in helping YOU become a better poster. For example, in the last page or to you are adding significant :bookworm: content rather than a one word "duck!" What follows is a one sentence "Duck."

baseball21, posted: "Are you the worlds best expert on all coins? Can you give a breakdown of why "common knowledge" isn't so common?"

I cannot change the way you post and you cannot change me; however, I enjoy most of your posts. IMHO, if a majority of the long time knowledgeable members of coin talk - YOUR PEERS - point out that PCGS (and all the others) often grade inconsistently either agree or disagree with reasons (significant content) or continue to crap up a thread weaving and bobbing to duck the issue.

physics-fan3.14, posted: "pcgs, as far as I know, has never been bought or sold. This is a first for a major TPG."

AFAIK, NGC has not been bought or sold either!

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I just finished removing numerous posts from this thread that violate forum rules. If there are any more - the thread will end.

And before anybody ask - nobody reported anything !

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Regarding the sale, I've known for 20 years or longer what I'd like to see happen. But I think the proverbial snowball has a better chance !

The thing I do wonder about is if, and how much, of the company will be broken up or spun off into separate entities. And what effect that would have on what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted