I just heard about this sale.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Insider, Nov 30, 2020.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Not this year. It was on-again off-again, nobody knew, and nobody knew what the rules were. When I finally heard it was on, I asked my workplace what they thought about it and it was an instant negative reaction (I work on a highly-classified essential government facility, vital to national security. The risks/precautions associated with travel were too restrictive to be worth it this year).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

False

4. physics-fan3.14

1. Is there any particular reason you're looking for one? Besides numismatic history?

2. I'll bet any worth cracking have long since been hit by a hammer.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

OK? It's fairly common knowledge. Have you ever actually looked at the coins they grade or do you just look at the label?

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. baseball21

Again false.

7. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

remember grading is a paid opinion of someone who wanted a grade on a coin or a banknote, graders are human and can make mistakes

8. physics-fan3.14

I don't pay them to make mistakes. I pay them to be consistent and accurate. These are the experts. If they are not consistent and accurate... then I don't pay them. (or, I don't buy them)

Some companies are known for being consistent and accurate. Some are not. I buy coins from some companies; I don't buy from others.

Simple as that.

baseball21 likes this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

10. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Are you the guy that passed an old bank note and ended up as a wanted counterfeiter on the Local News?

baseball21 likes this.
  11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

baseball21, posted: "False."

Unfortunately, some posters have blinders on concerning anything (that includes subjects that are off limits). When presented with something to refute what they believe, we get no response or weasel words such as "False."

For example: I posted an image of a PCGS grading error in another thread. This poster, a defender of the PCGS image, refused to grade it. If a member wishes to post an ICG, ANACS, or NGC grading error, I will be very happy to comment because I'm and equal-opportunity TPGS basher. When a TPGS makes a very obvious mistake, it should be brought to light and corrected if needed. That's where a TPGS earns its reputation. Honest coins in honest holders. Not from chat forum "ex-pert" apologists, pop reports, or slick marketing tools such as Registry Competitions.

This business of a TPGS guaranteeing a grade is STUPID. That's why all the crap has remained in holders. I became aware of this long ago when a beautiful Liberty nickel graded MS-64 was sent in for review. I asked the grader over me (an outstanding numismatist and former dealer) what we should do about the large counting wheel damage destroying many of the stars and was told the coin was a MS-64! But..."It's a 64!" But...do you see..."It's a 64, return it as is."

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I never asked you what coins you collect. Are you a generalist? One of my last purchases (See Lakeland Show Report) was a 1935-G 5Kr in a PCGS Gold Shield slab that got out without being sealed. I bought it hoping the slab was a counterfeit but it was not. :( I'm going to sell the coin and keep the holder for my slab collection.

13. baseball21

Do you honestly think such replays are helping your company?

14. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I’ll take that mean you just look at the label.

15. baseball21

Are you the worlds best expert on all coins? Can you give a breakdown of why "common knowledge" isn't so common?

16. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

This seems like a kindergarten fight on the playground. All tpgs make mistakes, it’s a human thing. What’s the issue or debate in this thread?

17. physics-fan3.14

So, I think it started out with somebody bought pcgs and we have no idea what that means for them. We don't know if that means they'll be better or worse? And then we don't know how they'll compare to all the other tpgs afterwards? TPGs like icg and anacs have a history of being bought and sold, and every time they are bought or sold their consistency changes. If you were to compare ANACS owned by Ana to ANACS owned by coin world, they are two completely different companies.

pcgs, as far as I know, has never been bought or sold. This is a first for a major TPG.

The concern here, is that PCGS owned by a new investor is going to be an equivalently new company.

Casman, wxcoin and BlackberryPie like this.
  18. baseball21

Not any different than the other top tier. Investment companies generally don't micromanage. It would be a mistake to do so, but more likely saw a growing business and wanted a part of it. Time will tell but nothing so far has said any big changes will be made

19. physics-fan3.14

It doesn't really matter what I collect. I'll choose the right grading company for the material I collect. In any case I want them to be consistent and accurate. I will usually choose ngc for foreign material, I will usually choose NGC for early us material. I will sometimes choose PCGS if they present a good value in a good grade for good coin. These are my own personal preferences (and honestly I'll usually cross to NGC when I have convenience). But in any case I expect the grade on the slab to be consistent, accurate, and correct. It doesn't matter which plastic it wears. I'll even buy icg or anacs if I think the grade and designation are correct.

Jack D. Young and brg5658 like this.
  20. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I just want one, and to my recollection, DGS grading was pretty conservative, and they used the PCI holders.

Kentucky likes this.
  21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I don’t see this buyout being good in the long run. They gotta recoup their costs somehow

Razz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted