I just gotta say this is a beautiful coin...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by E Pluribus Unum, Mar 26, 2018.

1. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

2018 Brittania.PNG
    Although it's a bullion coin, I wouldn't mind adding it to my world coins collection.

Stork, Paddy54 and asheland like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

The Brits are on a good path with their stuff. I'm considering working on a set of proof piedfort 50p coins. How's THAT for specific?

asheland and E Pluribus Unum like this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Too bad the same couldn't be said regarding more glaring issues they're now facing.

Kentucky and Nathan401 like this.
  5. E Pluribus Unum

I like the thickness of the Piedfort coins. In addition to the artwork, that's why I collect the 2 troy oz silver Queen's Beast series. However, I am having a hard time finding a way to nicely display the coins because of the thickness. They look awkward in plastic flips. If you know of a better way, please let me know.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

Doesn’t somebody make a custom capsule? Check Lighthouse.

7. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

The background and border are too busy for me.

E Pluribus Unum likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

But both are counterfeit prevention mechanisms, generally a good idea for gold bullion.

9. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

For the Queen's Beasts there are some nice display boxes. Random, first link I pulled up using Google-Fu:
    https://thecoinshoppe.ca/product/queens-beasts-wooden-presentation-box-for-10-x-2-oz-silver-coins/

I've seen them on eBay too. A little bulky, but they look nice.

I'm trying really hard to divest myself of 'bullion collections'...but the Britannias and the Queen's Beasts remain irresistible to me. Everything else can be sold for 'bullion-bullion' instead of 'collectible-bullion', but not these. My beasts are in PCGS 69 slabs. The 70s are ridiculously price and the guy I buy the 69s from isn't making much profit...bullion price+slabbing+shipping and maybe a tiny bit more. (PCGS only because I like their slab look better and I won't be tempted to add another silly registry set over at NGC).

10. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

The design is well done, for what it is (bullion), but the overall engraving is not as detailed as I would like in this kind of classic design.

11. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

I put mine in Air-Tites
    Size is : X6D-38mm

Stork, asheland and E Pluribus Unum like this.
  12. E Pluribus Unum

Thanks for the suggestions. I have always used Lighthouse binders with Quadrum holders, but I didn't know if this is possible given the thickness of the 2 oz Queen's Beasts. I like to display my coins in albums. However, I looked at the wood boxes and they look wonderful. Very elegant.

I thought that also. I like the border and rays, but Britannia's clothing and shield could be more defined.

The downside of the border is it takes the place of the text. It forces the text to be placed in the fields. The more I look at the text near and along the trident, the less I am beginning to like it. At least the UK got rid of the "mottled" fields. All in all, it's a new change of pace.

13. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

I like the brittanias, very beautiful, I also like the libertads however the proof ones are in so limited quantities and go for too much money for my liking

14. E Pluribus Unum

I just checked APMEX and noticed that a 1 troy oz gold Libertad costs about $40 more than a US Eagle. The Libertad is a beautiful coin to collect, but I would not purchase it for investment purposes.

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I found this bullion coin attractive & added it to my collection in 2010. :)
    Britania 2000 Obv.jpg
    It's not gold but it's got golden toning.

Stork, ManfredNam and Paddy54 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted