I just got my Standard Catalog of World Coins 1801-1900

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Revi, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

Yes, I broke down and got it. I have been finding so many 1800's coins that I didn't know what they were. It was time to get it, instead of roaming around on the internet trying to find exactly what I had. The pages seem better. They are less like newsprint and more like regular paper. I have a cat for 1900-2000 that I got for $20. I had to pay over $50 for this one, but I think it will be worth every penny. I already found out that my 1818 half crown may be worth $60, and I got it for $12, so I feel like it has paid for itself already. (at least that's how I rationalize it) My wife authorized the purchase, so I'm okay. It's a 2012 edition. I am liking it!
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Beatles

The Beatles Member

Heh, with a $48 gain on one coin, it's bound to pay itself off quickly! Is it sad that I actually tried to click it to open it?

4. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

It is an image from Amazon. You can check it out on there. I got it from another place, but it's a pretty nifty book. It may cost me more, since I have just seen the coinage from the Central American Republic and now have a hankering for getting some. I think I need to find an 8 reales now...
    [​IMG]

5. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I like that coin, but looks like they are about $400.

6. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Grats on the purchase. I find most references pay you back both in money and enjoyment far in excess of their cost.

7. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Its a great book for reference and info. I'm too cheap to buy the newest one and am still searching for an older one.

8. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I looked around for an older one for a long time, then realized that I am finding all sorts of 1800s coins and have no idea what they are. I just decided that if I am doing this I need the reference. I wish I could have gotten it for $20 like the 20th century book, but c'est la vie.

9. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

That's the problem with me getting it. It's a pricey coin. I saw a holey one went for $250, so maybe it's out of my price range. Oh, well. At least I can look at it in my book...

10. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

This one doesn't have as many references as the 1901-2000, but it's still a pretty big book. There were all sorts of tiny places minting coins in the 1800's. Especially in Germany and India. I looked over the whole thing last night and there are a lot of coins in there. It will come in handy. I plan on hitting the foreign coin bins now when I get to coin shops, to see if I can find something from the 1800s. I found a couple of 1700's English half pennies in them before.

Draft saved Draft deleted