I just dropped in to say hi and show off my Judaeans

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Sorry to Ray for our changing the topic (most threads seem to morph into something else anyway). This could easily become political I suppose (something I am opposed to) but if one wanted to create a new thread there are merits to discussing the dating system as it pertains to collecting ancients.

Anyway, good to see you back Ray, great coins, photos and artwork as usual! Top notch!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Nice collection. Here's my only Judaean coin.
    prutah.jpg

ominus1, Parthicus, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  4. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

Whoops ran afoul of the mods, apologies for stepping on any sensitive toes. To be fair it was a critique of culture(s) and postmodern deconstructionism, not politics. Certainly a fine line though depending on the reader's perspective and affection (or lack thereof) for Western Civilization so I'll be more careful in the future.

Relevant to the heady early days of Christianity is what may be a contender for the very first overtly Christian coin type ever struck:

axum2.jpg axum1.jpg

A 0.8g 14mm Silver coin of Ezana, Ethiopian king of Axum (encompassing Northern Ethiopia and environs plus Yemen), who was converted to Christianity by the Syrian monk Saint Frumentius sometime in the 2nd quarter of the 4th century A.D. Interestingly, much of the country practiced a branch of Judaism prior to peaceful conversion to Christianity and most of the descendants of the ancient Jewish Ethiopians, known as Beta Israel, emigrated to Israel in the last quarter of the 20th century under Israel's Law of Return. It is cruddy right now but based on experience should clean up wonderfully once it arrives tomorrow.

Chronologies for the history of the powerful but relatively mysterious Axumite kingdom are ambiguous but my sense is that these Christian coins started being struck sometime between A.D. 330-340. The reverse inscription reads: +TOV TO APECH TH XWPA "May this (Holy Cross) please the country" which is way more overt than the little cross control marks etc. snuck onto contemporary Roman coins. Not my prior cup of tea but I've been completely enthralled by the history, culture, and architecture of Axum and will certainly perish if more of their relatively obscure coins aren't obtained soon.

Ajax, zumbly, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  5. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Glad to see you back and what a great display!

As a secular humanist I have no issue using BC/AD for this very reason. Plus, if it's good enough for the 2007 RIC II.1 authors, it's good enough for me.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

If you only have one, that's a great one to have, @swish513 ! Thats' one of my favorites.

swish513 likes this.
  7. Deacon Ray

8. Deacon Ray

It's just temporary (I hope :dead:) until they hire a full time Pastor.

Paul M. and Roman Collector like this.
  9. Deacon Ray

My apologies, @green18 ! Yes, you're correct, we shouldn't bring our religious beliefs into the forum. I appreciate your comments.

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

FANTASTIC collection @Deacon Ray ! It has been very fun watching you grow it! I knew that you were very busy concerning your added responsibilities, and I hope they hire a full-timer soon. However, I feel that you are fulfilling the role (and then some), and you are truly enjoying it! As in anything, the pressure of the responsibilities will need to be relieved. Thank you for your kind service during this time.

Here is an arbritrary old coin, since I really do not focus in the area that you do:

upload_2019-6-27_9-36-16.png
    Kolchis 5th-4th Century BCE BI hemidrachm 11.5mm 1.8g Archaic female head possibly Georgian goddess Dali - Bull head border SNG Cop 98

11. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

You just shared pictures of you going about your work, a job that you are really passionate about. That in itself is not trying to recruit someone to your religion. You never told anyone to convert, or stated that your religion is the only one, or the correct one, nor linked your post to any recruitment website or material.

I believe that other fellow overreacted to your post.

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Deacon Ray likes this.
  13. Deacon Ray

And an awesome heritage it is...

CATALONIA.jpg

Vexillology is another hobby of mine!

14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

It's good to see you posting again @Deacon Ray and good luck with your interim pastorship. Must be exciting for you.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  15. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Deacon Ray, That's an enormous & impressive collection :jawdrop:! Your presentation is equally impressive ;).

Deacon Ray likes this.
  16. Deacon Ray

Thanks, Sallent but it's okay! Sometimes I get carried away when posting information about my personal life. I'd prefer to connect with other ancient coin collectors and not create obstacles that could divide us.

Paul M. and Orfew like this.
  17. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

He’s not talking about religion or proselytizing his faith. He was just stating his position. If you don’t want it to be a problem, then don’t make it one.

Roman Collector and Deacon Ray like this.
  18. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

It is good to see you posting again Ray.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  19. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

As a non-religious person, I can attest to the fact that the totally non-aggressive way in which you present your work life helps me feel connected to you and other Christians in a way I might not feel otherwise. We're all in this together and it's so important to build trust and understanding!

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 9.57.57 AM.jpg
    Crispus c. 322-23, Trier - chi-rho on shield

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 9.59.06 AM.jpg
    Early Christian overstrike (cross) on Constans VLPP. Found in Norfolk in 1990.

20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Well said, Sev, and I feel exactly the same way :).

Good to see you again, @Deacon Ray! Gorgeous presentation, as always :).

zumbly, Parthicus, Magnus87 and 3 others like this.
  21. Deacon Ray

Thanks for all of your great comments, my friends!
    I think I'm feeling an Ancients Forum

ADDICTION RELAPSE

coming on.

:eek::confused::joyful::singing:

Justin Lee, Paul M., Ajax and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted