I just dont get it!!!!!Grrrrrr

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by foreverEBG, Dec 1, 2015.

1. foreverEBG

foreverEBG Member

Ok I'm going to make this as objective as possible. I'm 26 years old and th reason I'm informing everyone is that as a younger numismatist I find that I share the views of more of they veteran numismatics.
    Recently there have been x2 Two discoveries of currently unknown, varieties of mercury dimes. The 1919-DDO and the 1926-DDO, IO saw both articles and I can personally accept one as being a unknown variety the 1919-DDO. However the other variety I read the article/thread on the 1926 DDO merc. and I just don't see it.

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Hair splitting......

4. foreverEBG

foreverEBG Member

I hit submit before I could finish.
    So where my frustration comes into view that it seems that everyone and there cousin are using high powered microscopes and stating that they found this/that variety that isn't in the red/blue books. I look at some of these post and I'm clueless as to what they're so excited about because I just can't see what they're wanting/ wanting other people to see. It makes me think that their imaginations are so vivid that they're seeing something that can only be viewed using their enchanted loupe!!!LOL:snaphappy:
    I'm apologize if anyone read this and may be offended. I think that if people are collecting what they want from whatever era and it makes them happy than that's all that matters but to me if it's wildly known of officially recognized then people should put that item off to the side and go through proper channels becofre posting "I discovered a new Variety":muted:

I'm sorry I just had to Vent. Thanks everyone:banghead:

wmichael, Jdiablo30, NSP and 2 others like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@foreverEBG

What gets me is that the so-called experts will authenticate itsy, bitsy, teeny, weeny
    varieties and gladly take the money of the submitters when the major grading services won't authenticate them because they are smaller than a yellow, polka dot bikini.

Chris

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I take exception to the term "High Powered Microscope" since the true VALUE in a 10x Stereo Scope (which is what I have) rest solely on light control. I can see things much better with a 10x Scope than I can with a "high powered" 10x Loupe.

As for the 1926 DDO, the article directs the reader to the "R" in LIBERTY which, from what I've seen, looks more like a "re-engraved R" than it does a doubled die.

8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

You can't be serious!

The TPG's, specifically PCGS and NGC, won't attribute MOST true Varieties unless they are either a Heritage Variety, such as the 55/55 and 72/72, or they are listed in the CPG.

Even then, they don't get a lot of them right due to the limitations of CPG photography.

In short, TPG's are only in the business to "grade" coins. They could really care less about varieties.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

No, they couldn't. ;)

10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I don't get when people "see" something under a microscope then make incredible claims about the minting process and become wildly defensive about their new discovery. Like coins from the Middle ages being recycled into Lincoln cents or vibrations from the striking of one denomination imparting elements of the die into the machine, then being transferred to all other denominations again through vibrations. If you're nice and don't accept it they'll ignore you but if you try to explain why this isn't so they'll resent and come to hate you.

:wacky:

You can't make this stuff up.

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Anyone have a reference to the 1926 DDO?

never mind, I found it.

Thanks anyway

12. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

You're welcome.

13. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

Long ago, the 1955 cent showed very heavy doubling. It became a pricey collectible, and lesser versions sold for far less, being called "Poor Mans Double Dies"
    Now! As our poster states. people use a microscope to find infinitesimal evidence off doubling, and then want fantastic prices.
    These coins are right up there with hoe made "rainbow toning" pushing up common date Morgans thru the roof.

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It only happens because fools will pay the money.

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The difference is that varieties are still varieties, and still different from ordinary die wear. They were different in 1955 (true doubled obverse die vs. "poor man's" trails on worn dies), and they're different today.

For value, of course, you want a die variety that someone cares about. Preferably at least two people, both bidding on your auction. I'm not convinced that the "microscope varieties" are there. Then again, I don't understand the VAM market, but there's plenty of money changing hands there.

16. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

All the newbs and their white noise theories distract from the reality that legitimate varieties, no matter how miniscule, are like fingerprints. In the early issues these anomalies can be used to identify exact die pairing which is essential for authentication , you know, that thing people pay a company for in order to determine real or fake, and assign a grade.

Now, if anyone would rather depend on a third party for their collecting interest, good for them. For those that desire the ability to tell for themselves, these skills are very important.

These modern miniscule forms of doubling come despite a process touted to have eliminated the possibility for this to occur, and warrants study by today's aspiring numismatists.

17. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Where's Tim when you need him?

18. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Enchanted Loupes. One should be in every numismatist's possession before they start collecting coins.

Kentucky and JPeace$ like this.
  19. SuperDave

The overwhelming majority of real value-added VAMs tend to have distinguishing features which quite exceed the "microscopic zit" level, although said zits are frequently employed to help define specific die pairs. And that's all VAMming is, the attempt to identify all possible Morgan & Peace die pairs. And like Sheldons and Overtons and similar, there will sometimes only be exceeding small differentiations. "Normal" coins are VAMs too.

The VAM market is attractive to some collectors with a fair amount of disposable income because it's a challenge. You can't just hire Legend to scour the market for the finest examples; it requires research, knowledge and sweat equity in addition to substantial money.

Cascade and green18 like this.
  20. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Have you ever submitted to LVA?

21. SuperDave

Nope. If it came to that, I would want the coin thoroughly vetted by the experts at VAMworld first. I'm as good an attributor as the next guy but I won't necessarily know if what I have is new.

Draft saved Draft deleted