I ignored one of my own rules about duplicates

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Jun 19, 2015.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Normally, I try to avoid duplicates in my collection but recently I couldn't pass one up. Both coins are Sextus Pompey denarii of the "filial loyalty" variety.

I've had the first coin for a while and was mostly attracted to it for its obverse, a strong portrait of Pompey the Great with subtle details like wrinkles around his eye. The reverse also has an interesting style, with the left and center figures being particularly well struck. The third figure is off the flan, but that is very often the case on this issue, a result of attempting to fit a large design on a small coin. It hasn't bothered me, mostly because better centered coins don't come up very regularly and when they do, they tend to be from a few dies wherein the design is compressed, which I don't find as aesthetically pleasing.

My newest coin has a nice obverse, with a well-struck legend but not quite as nice of an overall style. The reverse, however, is what really sold me on it. I've never seen an example that even comes close to this complete and well-composed of a reverse. It's unfortunate that we can't split coins in half and reconnect them!

It brings me to a bit of a precipice: I have thus far avoided duplicates in my collection but this may be an instance where each coin is significantly different enough to justify keeping both. I'm still not 100% decided either way but I'm leaning toward keeping the pair, but trying to prevent it from becoming a trend which results in opening the floodgates of duplicates when I'm attempting to build a comprehensive rather than specialized collection.

My first:
    [​IMG]

My new example:
    [​IMG]

Post your duplicates, and before/after upgrades!

Orielensis, jb_depew, Ryro and 30 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I can only drool when you post your coins. These both are marvelous examples and I would gladly take either or both (but pay of course). I will look through and post a couple I have that are duplicates, but they will not be near the quality as your coins.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Those pics are (how do yo say?) fabulous! :)

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow, it's nice to finally see the complete reverse design. And with that, you really appreciate how unfortunate it is that it didn't fit on the majority of the blanks that were used. I wouldn't sell your first one because by comparison you really can see how wonderful it's style is. I think the two examples complement each other by the contrast of their differences and you really should keep them both. And as for opening the floodgates of duplicates, maybe you just need a bigger budget :woot:.

gronnh20 and green18 like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

A couple of my duplicates:
    C CLAUDIUS PULCHER 2.jpg

View attachment 421339 C CLAUDIUS PULCHER.jpg
    C.CLAUDIUS PULCHER ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS CLAUDIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Head of Roma r., wearing helmet decorated with circular device
    REVERSE: Victory in biga r., holding reins in both hands; in exergue, C. PVLCHER
    Struck at Rome 110-109 BC
    3.76g, 19mm
    Cr300/1, Syd 569, Claudia 1

MN FONTEIUS.jpg
    Mn Fonteius 2b.jpg
    MN. FONTEIUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS FONTEIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Jugate heads of the Dioscuri
    REVERSE: Galley under oar
    Struck at Rome 108-109 BC
    3.9g, 20mm
    Cr.307/1, Fonteia 7

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  7. green18

Yup. Keep 'em both.....:)

8. green18

Dang it Bing. You're dog gone quick.......:)

9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Both coins have their charms to be sure, but the newest acquisition has an extraordinary portrait, one of the best of Pompey I've seen. Wow.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  10. zumbly

You kill me every time with that Fonteius upgrade, Bing.

Bing likes this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's easy to make a case for keeping both the Pompey examples, for the reasons you stated. The reverse of your newest Pompey is the best I've seen* :)

*As a relatively new collector, this really doesn't mean much :D. Clearly AJ's coins are awesome though.

As for duplicates, I have a few to contribute. "Upgrade" implies intent to purge the original and I probably won't do that.

PONTOS, Amisos; Perseus holding the head of Medusa, whose body is still gushing blood from the neck stump. This type of coin has been very popular among CoinTalkers-- seems like we all went on the hunt around the same time. I found one with an excellent reverse and was pretty happy with it despite the double-struck obverse. Not long after, I found a corroded example at a local jewelry store of all places! It cleaned up remarkably well and I think I like it better than the first (and far more expensive) coin.

PONTOS, Amisos. 85-65 BCE. AE28 (1st coin), AE29 (2nd coin). Helmeted head of Athena right / AMIΣOY; Perseus standing facing, holding harpa and head of Medusa, Medusa's body at his feet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The second coin, before cleaning:
    [​IMG]

12. green18

Most marvelous Tif.......:)

Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Opinion/trivia:
    Are the coins below duplicates? To me, none are duplicates. There are a couple varieties I lack and am seeking but many/most people would say they are all the same.
    rs5570b00040lg.jpg rs5590bb0898.jpg rs5690bb1282.jpg rs5770bb0541.jpg rs5170b00786lg - Copy.jpg rs5190b01324lg - Copy.jpg rs5220b00031lg - Copy.jpg rs5260bb1571 - Copy.jpg rs5430bb1976 - Copy.jpg

14. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Joe, both are tremendous pieces.

Ditto

TiberiusGroup4.jpg TiberiusGroup2.jpg TiberiusGroup6.jpg TibG1.jpg

15. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

If I had Doug's group, I'd keep the third one down and pass the rest along to Doug.

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Cool addition, Joe ... $300 well spent

;)

Duplicates, eh? ... well, kinda like TIF, I do have a few Medusa-duplicates (ummm, but as Doug interjected => all of my examples are quite different, so they're more than duplicates => they're compliments!!)

pontosg.jpg pontosh.jpg Pontos Amisos Version three.jpg Pontos amisos number two.jpg Pontos Amisos again.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

=> oh, and my focus has always been on "blood gushing, griffin helmet, and harpa)

Ryro, Jwt708, randygeki and 9 others like this.
  17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Duplicates? ... well, kinda? (but again => compliments)

Dyrrhachium
    Suckling Calf & Linear square

cow suckling.jpg cow suckling b.jpg

Dyrrhachion, Illyria, Brockage Error
    Cow w. suckling calf & Brockage Error

Illyria Dyrrhachion Brockage Error.jpg

Ryro, randygeki, Mikey Zee and 5 others like this.
  18. zumbly

Please pass me the second one before you give the rest to Doug, thanks!

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

L. Thorius Balbus
    Juno/Goat & Bull charging

L Thorius a.jpg L Thorius b.jpg

L. Thorius Balbus Brockage Error
    Juno/Goat & Brockage Error

L Thorius c.jpg L Thorius d.jpg

Ryro, randygeki, Ancientnoob and 6 others like this.
  20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What is wrong with hoarding duplicates?

21. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Where to start...

Septimius Severus denarius

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG, Laureate head right
    Rev:– TR P IIII IMP II COS, Mars standing right, resting on spear and shield
    Minted in Alexandria, A.D. 194
    References:– BMCRE -, RIC -, RSC -. cf. RIN (Rivista Italiana di Nvmismatica Vol. XCVI (1994/1995)

Additional information from Curtis Clay:-
    "Bickford-Smith recorded three other specimens, of which I also have plaster casts: his own coll. (probably now in BM), Klosterneuburg, and U.S. private collection.......
    This type was clearly struck in 194, when Septimius was TR P II and IMP III or IIII, so TR P IIII IMP II in the rev. legend is an error, the origin of which is obvious: the type is a rote copy of the identical type and legend on denarii of Lucius Verus of 164, Cohen 228-9. The titles apply to Lucius in 164, not Septimius in 194!"

That was before I added some more to the known specimen list...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't count the following as a suplicate because the reverse legend ends COS II

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted