I hope somebody on this forum didn't buy this one.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by 19Lyds, May 13, 2015.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I normally do not post eBay listings but this one was suspicious and then obvious as I had asked the seller for a photograph of the inside edge of the clip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-EISENH...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I knew what the response would be as I knew what the photograph would show BUT, by the time the seller had gotten back to me, the listing had sold.

This is definitely an altered coin in that the clip is NOT genuine. The edge photo clearly shows that the coin was cut after minting.

IKE 1977 Altered Clip Edge.jpg

The above image clearly shows 3 distinct clad layers. Which in fact is what these coins consist of however, the method of blanks creation would not create what is shown above.

Specifically, blanks are gang punched out of CnClad Sheets. Gang punching (similar to a three hole paper punch) consists of a rod being forced into a receiving hole. Whatever is in the way, ends up with a hole in it. The end result is a coin blank which is literally "pushed" through the sheet. Similar to the bits of paper (holes) left over from a 3-Hole Paper punch.

This process causes stretching and breaking of the CnCladding. On the downward thrust, the cladding stretches up onto the blank creating the two colored edges typically seen on a CnClad coin. Part copper and part CopperNickel.
    The sheet being punched, gets the opposite effect in that the CnCladding gets stretched down into the hole created by the punch.

Since a "clip" is technically and "incomplete blank" what the inside of the clipped area would show should be the exact "opposite" of the the edge of the coin shows as illustrated below.

Clip Diagnostics 002.JPG

Never would the inside of the clip be this:

IKE 1977 Altered Clip Edge.jpg

Above is what you would see if you cut the coin in half since no stretching and breaking would be occurring.

The coin in the listing has other tell tale signs such as the details ending abruptly. Specifically, the last "7" in the date.

IKE 1977 Altered Clip Obv-A.jpg

The reverse was not as convincing (which is why I asked for the additional photo):

IKE 1977 Altered Clip Rev-A.jpg

I let the seller know but evidently somebody had already purchased the coin. The seller hadn't ended the listing, the coin sold.

silentnviolent, dwhiz, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Also I don't see the Blakesley effect on the opposing edge of the coin.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Great post! Also.. there is no sign at all of the Blakesley Effect! None at all! Either the seller is a scammer or they know nothing about clips (incomplete blank)!

5. miedbe7

Unless there is something called a straight clip instead of a curved clip, I would assume even something pictured like that would have the opposing effect I edited to the proper name, Blakesley ... couldn't remember it off the top of my head :)

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Very informative post! I'm going to use this info the next time I find a clip on clad in roll searches. Find them from time to time, so need to dig them out. Could one of you guys post a pic of the Blakesley effect? I believe I know what it is, but a good photo would be nice.

7. 19Lyds

No but there is a slight mis-aligned die.

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

Bryan.. Subtle but noticeable on the opposite side of the clip 6795455.jpg

dwhiz and tommyc03 like this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I got one or two minor clips as part of larger lots in the past, and the Blakesley effect was what let me determine that they were legit. If I can unearth one of them, I'll post photos.

10. paddyman98

I noticed that also! Was going to mention it. With a false Double Reeded Rim. I have never seen that on an Ike!
    misd.JPG

11. 19Lyds

The "Blakeslee Effect" is not necessarily a reliable indicator of the validity of a clip as some coins are in fact valid clips with absolutely no indication of the Blakeslee Effect.

What the Blakeslee Effect amounts to is when blanks are "rolled" through the upsetting mill to create the raised rim, they are rolled through a decreasing radius path which essentially "squeezes" the bank and creates the raised rim.

When the blank is incomplete or not "round", no "squeezing" can occur and as such the rim "opposite" the incomplete area will not be raised. Blanks with raised rims (which are now planchets once the rim is applied) are a smidge smaller than blanks without the raised rim.

So, the Blakeslee Effect can appears to be a slight "bulge" opposite the clip or simply an aberration in the coins rim. Some are huge and some are not.

The best example I can find right now is a disruption of the rim on the straight clip.

IKE 1976-D T2 5 percent Straight Clip 24068147 PCGS MS64 Coin Obv.jpg

Note that opposite the clipped area, the rim of the coin is not fully formed.

The Blakeslee Effect on the Washington below makes the coin look almost deformed and typically speaking, the smaller the coin and the higher the rim, the greater the effect.

Washington 1993-D 14% Dbl Clip 12554258 PCGS MS65 Coin Obv.jpg

Presidential and Sacagawea Dollars (I/e/ Golden Dollars) have a very wide rim which does not get "upset" in a significant amount. Ever try stacking Presidential Dollars. They slide right off of each simply because the rim is just not that high on these coins. As such, golden dollar "type" coins may not show any Blakeslee effect at all.

I do not have any examples of this.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Here is an IHC clip showing the effect: IHC clip.jpg

13. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Great info! Like CLIPPED COINS 101 !

14. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Now I know some things to look for! Great educational post.

15. miedbe7

@19Lyds wish I could 10x pie that post ... def best answer winner :)

16. Mailman1

Mailman1 Junior Member

The info is a great primer on clipped planchettes. I do love this site! Thanks 19Lyds!

Draft saved Draft deleted