I have to quit doing it!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Vertigo, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

But I won't! I think i need a support group. But I had to have it. I just had to...
    Screenshot_20210228-130447_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210228-130458_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210228-130507_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210228-130517_Gallery.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Nice '07 bust. I totally get the feeling of wanting to buy something even though you just made a purchase! I've been on a nasty string of impulse purchases lately too:

1826 O-116a 50C PCGS AU53 CAC

182650Ca.png

3 Spanish gold coins, 1 escudo and two 1/2 escudos

goledspanyishch.png

A 1921 peace dollar AU Details that I got pretty cheap (no pic)

And lastly a 1916 Lee Enfield rifle that I am yet to pick up from the gun shop (tommorow).

john65999, capthank, wxcoin and 9 others like this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

You're not alone, collecting is addicting no doubt about it! :D At least you chose a really popular series, it could be worse meaning you could be hooked on Susan B. Anthony's! laugh.gif

john65999 and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Vertigo

Or I could have been one of those noobs that bids astronomically on junk polished coins. Least if my grandkids inherit this they won't ever forget their grandpa lol

CircCam, Inspector43 and fretboard like this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I have always like the 1807 and '08 Bust Half Dollars. They were John Reich's first take on the design. The eagle is looks a bit ungamely however.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    wxcoin, okbustchaser and Inspector43 like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Terrific looking early Bustie with ideal color and light CircCam contrast. Love it! That one would be welcome in my collection anytime.

9. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

It's not an addiction. I can stop anytime.

Of course, I started buying bust halves in 1972 and haven't stopped yet.;)

kountryken likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Bust coins are very addictive. I know from personal experience.

11. Vertigo

I wasn't sure how to tag you on this, look this coin over for me. PCGS says this is a small stars. But if you look at it closer I think this is an O-114. What do you think? I have blown up the area below the 7. You can kind of make out the die defect. Also, the area between star 11 and the milling has this defect described in the 114. Lastly, the arrows match 114 description. The 113 are different in all three of these areas. So I have a mis-attributed coin by the top TPG? Also unnoticed by CAC too evidently?
    Screenshot_20210307-090611_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210307-090651_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210307-090711_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210307-090730_Gallery.jpg

12. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

I would say that it is 114. To be sure, check the relationship between the D over E on the reverse. On the small stars the stand of E is centered under stand of D; on 114 it is well to the right of D.

As for TGP attributions NEVER trust them. Always do your own attributions or at least ask someone else who specializes in whatever series it may be. Although they are getting much better at one time at least one out of every 10 Overton attributions that I saw were wrong and it was my understanding that they didn't back them up under their grade guarantee. Although they would correct it if you sent it in for a second look--if, to use an example that I still see regularly--they call an 1827 O-106 an O-127 you are on the hook for the 5X to 7X premium that you would have paid.

It is also my understanding that CAC doesn't consider the attribution at all so in this case they didn't miss it.

At least in your case here there isn't that much of a price variation between the 2--and in your favor, to boot.

13. usmc 6123

usmc 6123 Active Member

How much was it. ball park?

14. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I have a question. Are fake bust halves called falsies?

15. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Depends on how big they are :)
    Stay Safe

wxcoin likes this.
  16. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I'm definitely an addict. I can't stop and don't want to.

17. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

If they're real falsies, does that make them realies?

wxcoin likes this.
  18. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Well, you've got it bad and maybe some others...not criticizing, just being frank and saying to be careful, esp if with a family. I've had three "sins of the (a) father" in my life and any one of them...if at different times...could have and nearly ruined me (drove me to financial and marital/family hardships, then to the poor house and nearly to the grave). Sin 1, in chronological order...Harley Davidsons (owned 9 over 24 years, and way before they went outa sight, but was still easy to get lost in them and I did). Sin 2...guns...and way beyond an alternate service gun or a back-up. And sin 3...yes, coins, coins, coins...crossing over with guns at one point which was really bad. Can happen so fast...before you know it..."just gotta have it"...just one more..."I don't care" etc. Just be careful my friend(s)...that's all.

Seascape and Penny Luster like this.
  19. Millard

Millard Coindog

I thought this was the support ! ? :sorry::(

20. Vertigo

Well in this case, I bought the coin and not the holder or endorsements. I just hate that it was already sent to cac. And I'm an NGC member. I would cross it over but would still need to send back to cac

21. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted