I have this big book here and i need y'all's opinion

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Shrews1994, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shrews1994

4. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Looks like a great book and published beautifully and a great author. I'm sure the there is good information and advice contained on this book, but it is a single souce, so other opinions would be needed to make a substancial investment. So read your book, and I will look up a copy also because I love to read anything about coins like You do! Smiles!

Seattlite86, Paul M. and Shrews1994 like this.
  5. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

I agree with TONYBRONX - looks like a great book! But before making any major purchases, consult multiple sources (including CT) before buying anything really expensive.

6. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

That's a pretty good resource you picked up for yourself there. You do not even necessarily need to read it from front to back. Chapters 16-30 can be read on their own, really, depending on your own interests as they apply to the individual collecting focuses like gold, silver, patterns, paper money, etc.

The first two chapters are like an introduction. Chapters 4-8 are what I would call a primer to numismatics. Chapter 9 is an overview of the economics of numismatics. Chapters 10-13 are a history and commentary of the numismatic market. Chapters 14-15 are pretty much expositions of buyer savviness and etiquette. And Chapters 31-34 are targeted random thoughts and general good practice in collecting (but please ignore his ramblings about experimenting especially in the chapter dealing with protecting and conserving your collection).

I'm surprised to see a copy in paperback. I thought they only came in hardcover seeing as it's over 600 pages big. Just be forewarned, it is not all factual information. There is some good information in there, but quite a bit of personal preference, ramblings and commentary. After reading through it, make sure you compliment what you have "learned" with other sources to gain a wider understanding of the different philosophies and opinions that exist out there.

Charles REid and Chuck47 like this.
  7. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

Q. David Bowers Launches New Weekly Column at Coin Update News
    Numismatic legend and Whitman author Q. David Bowers has embarked upon a new weekly column at Coin Update News and Mint News Blog.

Every Wednesday, both blogs will be posting regular content produced by Bowers and we are delighted to deliver his uniquely qualified insights to the community. Bowers himself describes the columns as covering topics such as “nostalgia, philosophy, and current events,” the latter of which particularly refers to auctions. Readers of the two blogs are in for a treat, as Bowers’s very name is synonymous with the field of numismatics.

8. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

Another of my favorite published authors Ken Potter is 59 years old and began collecting coins in 1959 when the reverse of the Lincoln cent was changed from the wheat-back to the now familiar Lincoln Memorial design.

edited - please read the forum rules regarding Copyright !

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2018
  9. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

5149m7aAR3L._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 51Ae-1PeBtL._SX386_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My personal favorites

10. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Those are some of my favorites too TammiGee!

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

"Strike it Rich" is the absolute bane of this hobby. It has prompted more people to ask about more junk than any other misguided publication in the history of numismatics. You aren't going to strike it rich with pocket change. Just, no. Every single copy of that should be burned.

As for QDB's book... I haven't read it myself. However, the title and premise of the book instantly turns me off.... The focus of this hobby, for most of us, is not investment. People who know what they are doing, and who also have a good bit of spare cash, can make this an investment if they are wise, well researched, and put in the effort. Eliasberg, Pittman, and Ford are legends in the hobby - you do not, and will not, ever have the knowledge, opportunity, or resources that they ever had (with the very rare exception of a very few lucky people).

The implied premise, from the cover, is that this book will teach you how to make money in coins. And that's just not true. Everything about that book screams "worst of the late 80's coin-investing bubble hype!" QDB has done some great work and written some great books, but he has also written a whole lot of garbage.

If you want, I can suggest a half dozen other books that you, as the introductory collector, should read instead.

dwhiz likes this.
  12. Shrews1994

Yeah I only got this book because it was in a box that I bought with a whole bunch of stuff to start collecting pennies the value on it said 100$ in value had alot of stuff in it even this book only for 10$ at hobby lobby. I really haven't took alot of interest in it because I'm not selling or buying.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Shrews, you absolutely have the correct perspective. Most published literature will contain useful information to grow your knowledge base. Often though the title of a book is intentionally sensationalized to grab your attention. You are a savvy enough collector to know you are collecting for the right reasons and to ignore the sensationalized information.

Shrews1994 likes this.
  14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

You don't have to buy and sell coins to gain a lot of knowledge from these books.

The book helps you understand what to look for. Grading coins also helps you understand how "nice" a coin it. Certain books that contain error information help you understand what to look for and how to differentiate between errors and damage.

All stuff that will help you learn no matter what you like to search and collect.

Shrews1994 likes this.
  15. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

16. Clawcoins

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  17. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have often thought the same thing. Except for me back when that coin was in the $50-$250 range that amount of money to me may as well have been a million to me.

18. Clawcoins

ahh . guess the 1955 DD was a bit more. Though the 1972 was in that range.
    edited - copyright

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2018
  19. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

I have a copy I put in my deer stand. I read it the whole time I was hunting, all season 2 1/2 months everyday, morning and evening. It was a good read. Bowers writes good books generally.

Nyatii likes this.
  20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Hey girlfriend. You've come along way since we've meet. Your doing great! I enjoy hearing from you. As far as i know. Most of these members want us to educate ourselves. I can see your doing that. Girls like coins too. So proud of you. And your questions are getting. MORE BETTER. Can see these guys will have to recond with you from now on. The book will help you alot. Ask any question you want. Members will help you. Some think its a guy sport. Ignore them. Cuz others will come to your aid. When their answers make no sense. Press on. I have a member that tries to belittle me at every chance but i get pm's telling me he just hates anyone that disagrees with him. Your doing great. So proud

Shrews1994 likes this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Oh and i dont see this member here

Draft saved Draft deleted