I have something to show you guys... purchased at the FUN show.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

please do leave it the way it is and great story!

C-B-D likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

Gorgeous piece from back in the mid to late 80's when ANACS really tightened the standards. Buying coins back then was fun. That piece really deserved a 35 by the day's standards, but I don't believe ANACS used that at the time.

I do agree it would go 45 today. While that may seem great, think about it. Which would you really prefer to have, conservative grading or optimistic, pie-in-the-sky valuation?

C-B-D, 1916D10C and Paul M. like this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

PCGS gave it an XF40. I may send it to CAC now.
    20190226_185241.jpg

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

A potential buyer convinced me otherwise. Said most buyers would enjoy the difference of grade and feel safer with it encapsulated instead of in a flip where it could be switched out and/or removed. So I sent it in. It can always be cracked out.

CircCam likes this.
  6. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

7. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Gorgeous coin. I'm sure there are some who collect the old photogrades but the number that do that are also players for such an expensive coin are probably quite small compared to it being in a properly graded PCGS slab where it will fly off the shelf.

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had one eBayer message me, "Why is this coin not in a PCGS or NGC holder??? You seem trustworthy enough, but looks fishy."

9. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

This coin has that perfect circulated cameo that I admire so much. I have a copy hole-filler 16-D in my Dansco with this same appearance. Eventually, I hope to fill it with a genuine example.

10. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

glad that you sent it off to get graded ( a lot better than that plastic envelope, imo )

how much are they charging for the green bean .... ?

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

$14.50 per coin, but when you factor in Registered Mail return shipping and the cost of mailing it there, it can add up to quite a bit more than that. I also factor in my coins that don't sticker. So if I send in 10 coins, and only 5 sticker, then I figure after shipping I'm into those stickered coins about $36 a piece! :bag:

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I’m late to this thread, but congratulations on that purchase!

C-B-D likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I hope you didn't send the certificate with it. The slabbed coin can always be re-paired with the certificate, but send in the certificate and it is gone for good.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Of course I didn't. The original paperwork is safe and sound. All of it.

RonSanderson, Paul M. and dwhiz like this.
  15. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Actually if you want to go through a bit of trouble... The ANA museum has the original negatives. They should be able to dig them up and have an enlargement made. Because that's the kind of coin that deserves to be shown on a 30 by 40 poster!

CircCam, Paul M. and C-B-D like this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I know the ANA still has the negatives, but I don't believe they have them cataloged in such a way that you could find a specific negative easily. That sounds like another good retirement project for someone, cataloging their negatives and maybe digitizing them.

Draft saved Draft deleted