I Have Some Questions About Buying Rolls.....

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by JakeS2002, May 24, 2017.

1. JakeS2002

JakeS2002 New Member

Hi there! I'm just trying to get some info about buying rolls of coins from a bank.
    First, are all the coins in the roll the same? E.g., if I ask for a roll of Presidential Dollars, am I going to get 25 George Washingtons, or will there be other Presidents in the roll as well? And does it differ from type of coin (Kennedy halves, quarters, etc.)?
    Second, do they sell for face value, or is there a markup to cover costs?
    And lastly, do you have to have an account with the bank, or does it vary?
    That's all - any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-Jake

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Other presidents

What?

Face value. Some banks will add a surcharge if you do not have a business account if you want a whole box or if you do it on a regular basis. But many (most?) do not charge anything extra.

Varies from bank to bank, teller to teller, if they're having a good day, and if you ask nicely.

ddddd likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

@Dougmeister covered most of the points. I would add to this:

"First, are all the coins in the roll the same? E.g., if I ask for a roll of Presidential Dollars, am I going to get 25 George Washingtons, or will there be other Presidents in the roll as well? And does it differ from type of coin (Kennedy halves, quarters, etc.)?"

It depends. A bank can receive a new roll and then it will have all of the same coins (i.e. 25 Washingtons or 40 2017 Denver Nickels). If the bank rolled the coins themselves (i.e. from customers turning in their change), then you will get a variety of coins. Both cases have happened to me. At one point I was searching nickels and I received 5 rolls that were all 2011-D. Another time I received a mixed roll that had a variety of dates from the 1940s all the way up to the 2010s.

5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

If you do halves don't forget to ask the tellers for any halves they have in their trays or for Customer wrapped roles. You can get huge scores that way.

moneycostingmemoney, TexAg and ddddd like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted