I have some coins to show...

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Machook, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Machook

Machook New Member

Hi all, im new to the forum and was wondering if you all could tell me a little more about these coins that i have. I have a few more but these are the main ones that i would like to know about. Thanks in advance. coins.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Machook

>There is not a lot that can be told without seeing both sides of each coin.

>I'm guessing that this is a scan because all of the coins don't look like they have any luster. Photos can reveal more about a coin.

>The rim damage on the 1881 Morgan would make it a problem coin worth about melt value.

>The Walker also has slight rim damage, but I'd need to see a better photo of both sides to determine if it is a problem coin.

>The Indian Head Cent probably has damage, too, because of the jewelry mount.

>There is a solution that can be used to raise the dates on the Buffalo nickels, but I've never used it myself. Someone else can probably help you in that regard.

Chris

4. Machook

Machook New Member

Hi chris, thanks for the quick response. It is a scan my phone does not take very good pictures up close. I also have a lot of 1940's steel pennies, silver quarters. Ill post pic (scan) of the back side. coins 3.jpg

5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Personally i dont see anything that stands out. No date buffalos are a dime a dozen- actually everything here is a dime a dozen. I dont mean to sound rude, this is really just a beginner collection of coins that are all over ebay. Again i dont mean to be rude

6. Evan8

Search the forum for good literature to read. Get whitmans red book first if you dont have it. Read it, study it, love it, repeat. Then get more books lol

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

imrich likes this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Posting this in the "What's it Worth?" section, are you trying to get an estimate of value? If so, you'll need much better pictures. With the scans you've provided, you're looking at melt value plus a few more dollars for the silver. The other stuff I can't help you with.

If you want to learn about the mintages, designers, mints, dates of the series, compositions, dimensions, etc. the Red Book is what you need.

9. Machook

Machook New Member

Thank you all for responses. I don't deal with coins very much I've had these for a while and I recently stumbled upon them in the attic and started wondering about them. I figured I didn't have anything outstanding.

10. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Can you get a better picture of the date on the '42 dime?

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

There is a publication called the "Red Book" (A Guide Book Of United States Coins) by R.S. Yeoman. It does a good job of explaining about United States coins and isn't too expensive, particularly if you get last year's. The prices in it are not really accurate, but can reflect comparative rarity. If you don't want to buy one, check out your local library.

12. Evan8

Well that would be a heck of a find. I see what you are looking at and i cant tell if its just the grainy pic or if im just seeing things

13. Machook

Machook New Member

These are the best pictures i can take. Hope it helps... What exactly are you looking for? If you dont mind sharing. SAM_0430.JPG SAM_0431.JPG

14. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I think he is looking to see if it is a rare overdate variety: 1942/1. The 'S' mintmark precludes it from being one of those, though.

Hommer likes this.
  15. Machook

Machook New Member

Oh ok. I was just reading up about that.

16. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

. The Ike is worth a buck. The Peace dollar around $20, the 1896 Morgan about $28. The 1881 Morgan has a big rim ding, under $20. The Franklin and Walker, a slight premium over melt, about $15 for both. The Indian head is worth a buck or two. The rest worth melt if they are silver the rest, not worth much. Just all my two cents on what I see them sell for all the time on Ebay minus fees you would pay.

17. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Most of the silver is worth melt, whatever that may be.

No date nickels are worth very little - it's almost more worth it to spend them, unless you have a whole bunch that you can sell as a lot on ebay.

The Indian may be worth more than book value due to it's status as a pendant; some people who do not collect coins like coin jewelry.

As for the Ike, it's very difficult to spend these days (nobody knows what it even is anymore), so I would keep it because it's fun to have!

18. Machook

Machook New Member

Thanks guys I really appreciate the feed back. I've had the coins for a few years and I'm thinking to pass them on to my kids. I'm really glad I started this thread. I learned a whole lot about the coins. Thank y'all for taking the time and sharing your knowledge!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Stick around, or at least visit from time to time.

20. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Although your coins are not terribly valuable, they are a great way to get into the hobby.

I started collecting with a Whitman folder and a handful of pocket change! And look at me now... Still with Whitmans and pocket change for the most part!
    But seriously though, a handful of coins got me into the hobby and now I have about 2000 various coins from many different series.

tomfiggy and Machook like this.
  21. Common coins, worth about 120 dollars in total.

Draft saved Draft deleted