I have not been around much

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Billy Kingsley, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Sorry about that. 2010 has been a bit of a trying year- I've not been in good health for much of it, even worse than normal. (I have some issues I really don't like to talk about much). Back when I was in school I was sick for more than a year and the doctors couldn't find what it was. Well, this isn't the same thing (I know what this is) but apparently 2010 is going to go down in my history as another year when I spend most of the year sick or at least not good. As I type this I'm hurting in more than a half dozen places. So, there's that.

Then, there is the fact that I have not had hardly any money to spend throughout the year. 2010 has been lousy in that regard too. When I am not participating in a hobby I have a hard time getting into posting on the message board(s) related to it. I knew that was the case for my other hobbies and it really wasn't a surprise that it was the case with numismatics, either. A consideration with that is that seeing all the cool things being posted that I can't have...maybe can't ever have...it can make your outlook a little depressed about the hobby, if you know what I mean.

I have also lost three good friends this year- two in November. I knew one of them was having health problems but he thought it was fixed...losing all three was a shock to me and I really do NOT deal well with death. I know that no one does but I'm even worse. And I lost two of my best friends within two weeks of each other...less than a month ago. I'm still sad about that and it's not always easy to be happy on a message board when you aren't happy in real life.

There's another factor, but this is a good one. As you might have caught from my posts or visiting my website, I build scale models. 2010 has been a bit of a rennissiance for me. Since 1999 I built only cars but this year, on the strength of the support from one of my model clubs, I have greatly expanded my horizons. In 2010 I built my first ever airplane, figure, ship, and tank! I also found the time to build some cars, too! In all, I built 19 models during 2010 so I spent a lot of time on that. And as I eluded to earlier, if I am into a hobby I tend to spend the most time on the message boards for that...so what time I did set aside for internet/message boards, was spent on the scale modeling message boards, or researching. I know the cars I build by heart, but when I do a different subject, I have to do research which can be time consuming- but always fun! Last week I spent about 12 hours researching my next subject over a three day period (Teutonic Knights) Now, the winter is here in spirit if not in fact, and it's too cold to work on models. But it's not too cold to look at my coins, and here I am!

I am looking forward to 2011. I hope it brings better health, and a better year for my hobbies-2010 has been my worst ever so it should be better! My New Year's Resolution from 2010 didn't happen, which was to visit the Parsippany NJ coin show. Didn't happen, so I will roll that into 2011 as well, and my NYR for 11 is to get myself at least one Byzantine coin. I have had plans to get Allan Berman's 5 for $20 deal on Byzantines but I have not been able to set aside the $20 for it yet.

I'm sure none of you really care about all this stuff but it makes me feel good to say it, so I am! And that's all I've got for this installment.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. There is one other factor I didn't think to mention....My time on here really went down recently, but my time on Facebook has really gone up. I discovered the game called Car Town on there and I've spent hours and hours on there. Back in September I spent 8 hours consecutive on there...doing just that! I think that, while being fun, has been detrimental to my time spent on all the message boards I am a regular or semi-regular on!

I also have spent a lot of time scanning my trading card collection. That was a big hobby for me for a very long time but now ranks 4th at best, behind 1/64 NASCAR, coins/currency and building models. Some of the cards I have been dealing with I had not seen in 15 years or so...although I spent more time on my NASCAR card collection...which I still do add to every so often!

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Here's hoping for a better year to come Bill. Losing three friends within a close time frame is devastating and I do feel for you brother. Being sick a lot can be debilitating, and couple that with your loss, downright ravaging to both spirit and mind. But I think you're handling your current situation in a most positive way indeed. One of lesser mettle would crawl away and hide. Maybe even douse their sorrow with drugs or alcohol. You chose to immerse yourself more deeply in your hobbies. That's a positive thing Bill. It will help you with the healing. I applaud you, my friend, on the positive direction you have chosen to follow. It's not an easy thing....to follow the positive path.

Ken

5. Thanks Ken. Whenever I am having a bad time my hobbies always have been the one thing I knew I could turn to to help me through. And my personality has ALWAYS been the case that I go in cycles...I will do one thing for a time and nothing with anything else, then set that one aside for a while and do something else. So lately I was on an off time for coins, after being in an on time for them for a year and a half.

6. SNDMN59

SNDMN59 New Member

I know where your coming from, except they think they may have solved my problem. I have had 3 cornea transplants in 4 years, every time I get my hopes up the transplant goes bad.I even thought hard before the last one about not even having it done, that maybe someone more deserving than me could use it . But I went ahead and had it done, at this time it is doing well, but it does not take much for it to get infection , if it does it will go bad again the surgeon says 3 is the limit that 4 can not be done .
    So every day is a bonus for me when I can see out of both eyes , knowing anytime there is a possibility of it going bad. It takes me forever to type, and check spelling, coin collecting is about all I have to do while wife is working, money is tight for us also,I have to watch my spending. But i do have a antique booth mainly as a hobby any profit I get more stuff for it.
    I also do alot of thinking myself about my situation, what happen , where did i go wrong i never find a answer
    MAY 2011 BE BRIGHT AND ALL YOUR DREAMS AND WISHES COME TRUE !

7. connor1

connor1 Collector

It's great to hear from you,I know what your talking about ,I was not posting for some time too. But things will get better in 2011,the Paper Forum misses your post also ,but whatever hobby you choose for now is definately a good thing & I wish you a better 2011,Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    connor1 (bob)

8. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun! The thought of not being able to see is rather unpleaseant to say the least!

Thanks guys! I am sure 2011 will be better!

9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Bill sorry to hear about your past troubles and tragedies , best advice try and keep a positive
    Attitude i know it can be hard when things arent going your way, GOOD LUCK in 20011

10. ERROR COINS

ERROR COINS New Member

I could tell you that I have been there. I have been hospitalized on and off. Once for nearly half a year (lost a great friend. I met her while getting Nuked for 6 weeks) . I spent Another separate time for 1 month while my gallbladder burst/gangrene/lung collapse etc.... What doesn't kill you make you stronger... I heard that somewhere. Hope yours isn't too bad. What ever they tell you about "odds" don't buy it. I had <25% for 1 year survival and its been 14 years. The last trip the Dr.s were giving me <week. Have fun with your hobbies and take life to heart.

11. shawni

shawni Member

Prayers on their way. I hope every day of struggles turns into days of triumphs! Best wishes,
    Shawni

Draft saved Draft deleted