I have no idea lol

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by New to coins guy, May 4, 2021.

1. New to coins guy

New to coins guy New Member

Cleaning out my grandparents home after the 2nd passed recently, and these stacks of albums filled with coins and currency were dropped on me to try do something with. I am a collector of 40+ years, but not coins. If you need to know anything about trading cards, specifically basketball, i'm your man. The extent of my knowledge with coins and currency is I can MAYBE tell you the face value, and only if it is a US coin.

That being said I have scanned in about 1/3 of everything thus far and if anybody gets bored and wants to browse the sheets, by all means do so. My suspicion is that they are mostly just highly circulated common coins. I know that a majority of them were brought back from Europe by my grandfather who fought in WWII (stormed Normandy beach, yeh, he is a grade A badass!) so there is a lot of German, French and Austrian stuff. But there's also several books of US dollars and half dollars, and I am assuming silver coins are doing well right now?

If you have a moment to browse, AND you spot something I should look further in to, please don't hesitate to share your expertise with me. My goal is to try sell any pieces that might fetch $20 or more (I only know eBay from selling cards but if there's a better site for coins let me know) so I can add the funds to the shared estate settlement that I have a vested interest in. Thanks in advance for having a look-see. Be well.

What I have scanned so far... https://photos.app.goo.gl/sxMH1q4LAw1VULgV9

Eric the Red and Inspector43 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hey, Welcome to Coin Talk !! Very Nice collection ! Although world coins our out of my league, the U.S coins are Mixed. Some are Silver but most are common issues. Nice Starter Collection for both U.S and World coin collectors .
    Then there's those umm.. tokens that I saw ??

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

The morgan and peace dollars will definitely go for more than $20 like around $30-$35 in just worn condition im not seeing anything truly valuable not including word coins which im not familiar with.

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Welcome to CT.

6. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Most of the world coins I see are pretty common stuff.

7. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I'd get 'em outta those pages pronto!

zzzzzzIMG_5321.JPG

8. William F

William F Well-Known Member

The world coins are common, but it is a very nice set with a lot of variety in good coindition, you may be able to find someone who wants parts of the set but you're probably not going to make a lot of money off of them. I would take all the large dollars and try to sell them individually, they should bring some decent prices, and yes, Ebay is pretty good for selling coins on, especially if you have experience with ebay already.

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT.
    If the family would like an appraisal of the coins, you should find a reputable dealer, and for a fee, they will assess and place a value on the collection, letting you know if you have any of collectible value.

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

A lot of the value frankly is knowing that your grandfather owned the coins, some of which he seems to have picked up along the way during WWII. I myself own some coins that my great great grandparents had over 100 years ago and their value is far greater than any coin dealer etc will offer for them.

11. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Looks like loads of fun to go through.

12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Was that intentional or a typo? If it was a typo I think it is awesome. I may very well plagiarize this when I am talking about the condition of my coins to someone!

13. William F

William F Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure lol, I've done it on purpose before but I don't think it was intentional in this instance :p Please feel free to use it!;)

14. New to coins guy

Wow thanks for all the replies so quickly!

I DID pull a 1922 peace dollar out on day one and list it on eBay just to test the waters and see if anybody had input on how i listed it (more specifically advice on how to create better listings for coins) but nobody offered up any, and it went for over $30, so I am optimistic about the rest of them.

Somebody mentioned removing them from the albums pronto. What way should I store them alternatively?

I haven't even started going through the currency yet, should I just assume those are a lot more common circulated items as well or can there be diamonds in the rough there (knowing now the time frames and areas he amassed these items)?

15. New to coins guy

Also, another question, I have a couple silver dollars that have what I would call "tarnish" on one side. Maybe there is a better word? Is that something I should attempt to clean before trying to sell? I know I have heard the boys on Pawn Stars say several times now that a coin was devalued because somebody tried to clean it, but I wasn't sure if that was an all-around rule or just applied to using abrasives?

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not tarnish but toning. Some people love toning and others do not. Rainbow or colorful toning is much more acceptable than dark or molted toning. Best to post a photo of the coin.

17. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Scientifically toning and tarnish are one in the same. Toning just sounds better.

Draft saved Draft deleted