I have no clue and need help

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Inspector43, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I have this coin that is worn very smooth and would like to see if there are any clues out there. It is 7.99 g and 24.4 mm. The reverse is nearly smooth. I posted a few pictures in hopes that someone might recognize it. Thank you.
    220924161922983.jpg 220924162017717.jpg 220924162130233.jpg 220924162446898.jpg

kountryken and paschka like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

I can read Greek AYPH, so likely Marcus Aurelius or Commodus.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. Inspector43

Thanks. I'll start in that direction. I believe this will be my first search for one with Greek lettering.

5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

To be honest I don’t know if it’s worth your time with nothing to show on the reverse.

I’m about 90% sure it’s Marky A, but with a coin this worn, does it really matter?

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Inspector43

No, not really. I am having some fun just trying to identify coins that I could not clean completely. Some of my culls are borderline trash. All I want to do is identify who it is and go to the next. And, as you see, I learn something with each coin.

kountryken and Kentucky like this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

I suppose there is value in training how to ID strictly by profile shape!

kountryken and Inspector43 like this.
  8. Inspector43

A couple of years ago I got my first batch of unclean ancients. I have cleaned, identified and cataloged over 120 that are in very nice condition. I knew nothing about ancients. With the help of my friends here on CT I am now at least comfortable with researching and identifying ancients. My target was 100 and I am well over that. I don't intend to procure any additional coins. So, I will mess around with the stragglers. Thanks for all the help I have received from you.

kountryken likes this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

I learned everything I knew from buying bulk lots of Crappy uncleaneds. After 2000 or so coins I would spend maybe 2-5 seconds on ID because you just get that exposure experience. It’s fun :)

kountryken, Curtis and Inspector43 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted