I have lost money on every coin i have ever purchased.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by coins776, Mar 12, 2013.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Almost makes me wish it was 5PM........

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That is not a true statement. A lot of people say that, but that doesn't make it true.

Anything is only worth what an educated buyer will pay for it - that is a true statement.

4. There are a lot of uneducated buyers out there who overpay, and also many buyers (including educated ones) who make impulsive buys every once in a while.

5. Brian L

Brian L New Member

Why not just sell on ebay ? Yes it takes a bit of preparation and time pre and post sale but then YOU are in charge and should have an idea of what each item is worth.

Brian.

6. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Since the OP doesn't drive, eBay appears to be his ONLY option, other than big online auctions like Delcampe or bidStart.

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Gotta ask Revi, what was it? Picture?

8. coins776

coins776 no title

i will be starting a new post soon on the proper way to grade coins.

9. therocktjb

therocktjb Wait, what**

Can I ask why? For someone who thinks so low of the hobby to tell all of us "the proper way to grade" seems a little inappropriate in my opinion.

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I wasn't aware that you are an expert grader, that changes everything. Here is how you make money selling coins. Go to your local coin show, buy raw coins that are condition rarities, buy them for the grade point underneath what you already know it is, send them in for grading and make a fortune. Simple.

11. doug444

Never thought of that..........

:rollling:

12. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

It was an XF dos mundos 2 reales from 1765, Mexico City mint. I became fascinated by them and traded a gold coin for it. I am not regretting it, but I am over the reales thing now.

[​IMG]

13. doug444

In Vogt's book, there's an illustration of an 1764 Mo two reales, and its pillars are considerably taller than the top of the crown?? Also the denticles don't look right.

14. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

He tried that already with disasterous results... a lifetime ban from selling on eBay.

http://www.cointalk.com/t224794/

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh dear........

16. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I predict at least a four page educational and spirited debate is about to begin.

17. doug444

Shock -- I don't know beans about reales and cobs, etc. But the pic in the catalog looks radically different than the OP's coin. At the moment, I'm looking for Sedwick's book for another image to compare.

edit
    It also appears you can buy a decent 1760s two reales for well under $50 at just about any foreign coin dealer.

18. COINnoisseur

COINnoisseur Professional Amateur

Being unsuccessful in every transaction for 5 years would tell someone to adjust their approach or get out of the business. No single aspect is causing the problems. Your lack of desire and interest in the hobby, no matter how much research you've done is preventing you from understanding how your customers think of and appreciate coins. You've also mentioned that you do not drive and the community that you live in has no coin shops or a coin collecting presence. This another problem. Your trying to make money in a hobby but your access to purchasing quality coins and having a large selection to choose from is almost nonexistent. Also, you have very limited means of selling your coins. The cash-for-coins type model is a terrible way to sell coins. You have to do it face to face and have enough of a potential customer base to be able say no to a buyer if you don't like their offer. You said you were concerned about sending the check back because you didn't want to lose this guy as a buyer in the future. You cannot be in a position where your afraid to say no. Your customers need to be numerous enough for you to decline a terrible offer from someone. Whether or not the offer is actually a bad one, you believe it is and if you feel that way then say no and sell to someone else. As far as selling your coins, it seems you have almost no options and your forced to use this guy as a buyer. Set a price and if the buyer will pay that then that's great. Don't send your coins off to someone and just wait for a check without discussing a price. That is the worst business model I have ever heard of. I didn't know that this existed and that people would do something like that. Another very important factor that I don't think you've realized yet is that you have to be able to sit on coins for years. I have never paid more then $205 for a coins and that was by far my largest purchase. However, I have over $2,000 just in silver value in coins. It has taken me a few years to build a decent collection and if I ever decided to sell and silver goes up I'll make a profit. You don't have to be wealthy to prosper in this hobby. You have to be patient. In your current position there are to many factors lined up against you for you to make money. Unless your a sadomasochist(thanks spell check) I would find find something else to fill my time.

19. bekiz

bekiz Member

second that

I'm selling coins more than a year. I lost only 3 times: 2 coins were lost, and one got milk spots so reduced pricing. Sold about 300 coins with an average price of $88. How did I do it? Research the market, learn about coins, make an offer to friend collectors, if rejected - goes to eBay (where I get more most of the time).

20. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I wouldn't be too concerned at variation on a coin that age. Every die was individually made and variation is to be expected.

21. COINnoisseur

COINnoisseur Professional Amateur

When I first started reading that I thought you were going in a totally different direction. But you summed it up perfectly.

Draft saved Draft deleted