I have decided to submit to the Security Engravers Group!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Zeplyn, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Zeplyn

Zeplyn Dry Ink Seldom Smears

Ok of recent I have been supplied links to the Security Engravers Group past threads by Krispy. He explained most of it to me.
    I must say that I was just in awe with the projects that were submitted. So my question is, why is this not still going on?

I would like to join this group and sign up to do a project. My concern is that I am so new to banknote collecting that I am afraid I may be not as well received as the local veterans here. Should I be timid about this? I have no idea what to do yet but I think I can do something.
    Please let me know how to proceed.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

I believe I explained the 'why' and also that this group never really stopped. The membership, minus one or two on a regular basis, are all still present and capable of submitting threads on behalf of the group as before, when they see fit. We haven't finished all 2010 presentations, myself included, nor have we established a 2011 membership headcount and to-do list for the year.

As I encouraged you to do, please join us, submit threads with SEG in the title and present information you have researched and feel is relevant. Don't feel timid. It's a way of learning. We are all at different stages in our collecting knowledge and collection accomplishments.

You seem to have the gist of it already. Simply identify something that interests you according to the topic of Security Engraving: issues, artists, designers, printers, etc. Condense your learning in to a report as the others have done and share with the group who have identified themselves with like interests.

4. krispy

krispy krispy

I hope all the other previous SEG members would like to join in and welcome Zeplyn and his fresh enthusiastic spirit that he has shown in the CT Paper Forums.

One of RickieB's requests of new members was that an essay as to why one wanted to join the SEG be presented and then a vote of acceptance was taken.

The essay was something to be expected within the first 90 days of requesting to join. If you'd like to share your reasons that would be terrific though I don't wish to be so strict with deadlines. However, if you would also be willing to do a presentation to help restart this group in this new year, I think we would all enjoy reading what you have to present. You do not have to be an expert to make a presentation, nor even own works in the piece you are sharing with us. Research and relevant information that interests you and which you feel benefits this group is all that is necessary to make your presentation. Give it a go!

5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Welcome to the SEG. Zeplyn! Can't wait to see your presentation!

6. krispy

krispy krispy

2011 SEG Membership List

We need to revise the SEG member list for 2011 and see where this group can take us in the year ahead.

Anyone who was formerly a SEG member from 2009-10 and is not on the list below, please give a shout out if you are still on board. Anyone who want's out of the group, please also, give a shout out.

SEG Founders: RickieB & connor1

2010 SEG Assistant/Administrator:
    krispy

Participating Members 2009/10:

• Art
    • Billy Kingsley
    bobbeth87
    ClayIrving
    coleguy
    DaveM
    • Dready
    Duke Kavanagh
    • gsalexan

ikandiggit
    midas1
    mpcusa
    North49Guy
    scottishmoney
    • TheNoost
    TMoneyEagles
    urbanchemist
    USS656
    • vnickels
    Wiggam007

New members:

• Zeplyn

7. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Welcome to the club, Zeplyn. Please do not worry one bit about being "new" versus us "olde tymers". As Krispy says, the presentations for the SEG can be anything from very complex detailed information, to something gathered from Google. The only requirement that I can think of is that the topic be related to banknotes or banknote artists or banknote printers.

I look forward to some nice SEG presentations from you and the others in 2011.

Dave

8. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I'm in. I think you shold verify 2011 membership/interest of the existing list as well.

Dave

9. Zeplyn

Yes I suppose I can provide an essay of why I would like to join. Where or who do I post or send it to?
    Once I know this I will start to work. Oh and thanks for the words of advice from those who replied so far. I will do my best to be a member in good standing.

10. krispy

krispy krispy

I will send out a PM to members so they know we are still active and motivated as a group here on CT. Thanks for the suggestion.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

You can post here in this thread or create a new thread, which may be best to announce your piece. Perhaps you can treat is simply like your introduction/mission statement for what interests you about this group/topic or whatever angel you see fit. I'm sure having new members will help redefine the character of the group in interesting new ways. I just don't want anyone to feel the group is too rigid. I hope all members feel they have a hand at shaping and directing its course to keep things fresh and lively!

12. Zeplyn

Hello SEG Members,

My name (given name) is Zeplyn Tao. Yes I am Chinese/American.
    I have become interested in United States Paper Money Small Size Banknotes from 1928 thru 1934 because I was at a bank which my friend works and she showed me a bank note that she got from 1934. The printing on it was very nice compared to what it is today. The color of the ink was a yellow green color and the contrast of the engraving, the ink color and the overall green made me stop and take notice. I found this site by Bing and have been active only a short while. I also like bullion coins but banknotes have really interested me of late.
    I have been reading and looking at many of your collections and banknotes that are displayed here. I am impressed with the diversity and magnitude of some of your collections. I have received various links from members here who have shown me some reports that just took me into awe. I am no means at the level of any of you veteran collectors and only have a few banknotes of my own. I am somewhat nervous about doing this but what the heck, I will give it a try.
    So I hope that what I have learned here from you all so far will kick start me into an area of knowledge that I am foreign to. If it gets any better that what I have seen so far I may not know how to respond. So if you all can consider letting a new guy join in the group, I will do my best to learn and be a good member and try to submit well researched information that has relevant information to banknotes in general. I now own 2 books, 3 banknotes and a few bullion coins.
    Thank you for your consideration in my request to be a part of the Security Engravers Group.

13. krispy

krispy krispy

Welcome to the Security Engravers Group Zeplyn.

I'd be glad to have you as a member and I welcome your enthusiasm to keep us going as a group on CT!

14. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I'm a newbie as well, Zeplyn. I've been collecting for just over two years. I have around 100 banknotes, mostly world notes, but also a nice collection of error notes from U.S. and Canada. The majority of the error notes were found in circulation so they cost me face value but are worth substantially more.

As you develop your knowledge and skills, you'll be able to put together a decent collection in no time.

Good luck and welcome.

15. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Thanks for the summary, Zeplyn. I think you've got a great and enthusiastic attitude, from what I've seen over the past week or so, and I look forward to your ongoing posts in the forum, SEG-related or not. You mention getting a kick-start into a particular area of knowledge, and I will agree 100% with that point. The SEG efforts, specifically the responsibility (light though it is) of having to sit down, come up with a topic, finding the banknote(s), finding the relevant literature, and writing up a short article, have been very helpful for me to apply some focus to my collecting interests. It is very fulfilling to have an area, even if very small, that you have learned, and are somewhat "expert" in after such an exercise. I hope you enjoy the journey.

Dave

16. Zeplyn

Thank you Krispy,Ikandiggit and DaveM.
    May I ask how many approval votes do I need from the members?
    Also What time frame will be assigned to me for my project, if voted in?
    I would like to do this sooner than later if I may while what I have been studying is somewhat fresh.

17. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I think it was three, right Krispy? ;) :D

18. connor1

connor1 Collector

Welcome Zeplyn,I'm sure you will do fine .

19. Zeplyn

Please Connor1 no big deal. I have read so much about you and how you and the other guy (Rick) got this going.
    I feel proud that you responded to my request. As mentioned before, I will do my best as a member.
    Your reply meant a lot to me.

20. krispy

krispy krispy

Three sounds good to me. I think we are all thrilled to have some life back in our group and to welcome a new member with such zest!

21. Zeplyn

So Krispy
    Thank you and the other 3 members for allowing me to join. When do I need to submit?
    Is there a time slot like before? I saw where it was done once a month or every other week. How is it now?
    How much time do I have? I am getting nervous.

I would like to do a project on the banknotes that I most enjoy 1928 and 1934 and from the information you sent me a small element of surprise information as well. Will this be ok?

Draft saved Draft deleted