I have a wierd 1974 D Lincoln Penny

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fantasyshroomin, Mar 19, 2014.

1. fantasyshroomin

fantasyshroomin New Member

I found an unusual 1974-D Lincoln Penny, It looks brand new, but it's color is off (golden yellow) and it's ferrous. There are no strange markings and, from every other aspect, appears to be a normal penny. What slight tarnishing appears is in the dead center of the penny on both sides and doesn't look like copper. It weighs 3.1 and sticks to a strong magnet. It is not a fake or slug.
    I looked up a few internet sites on the topic (apparently, 1974 is a weird year for pennies) but I wanted to find out if anyone knew anything about it.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks like it was plated with something. The picture is a bit small and hard to see though.

4. fantasyshroomin

5. furryfrog02

Yup I vote for plated.

6. fantasyshroomin

the one on the bottom is the yellowish/ gold one. middle is a normal circulated penny, and the top is a newer copper shiny penny

7. fantasyshroomin

plated with what, and why, and it is attracted to a magnet?

8. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

9. fantasyshroomin

gold plated? gold doesnt stick to a magnet?

10. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

11. furryfrog02

Hmmm almost exactly word for word...well with that I will stop following the thread. :) Thanks wcoins for the heads up.

C-B-D likes this.
  12. fantasyshroomin

I didnt write that thread, but it is exactly what i have, i read that post today and I copy it and pasted it to this thread today. it still doesnt answer anything. as to why it is attracted to a strong magnet.

13. fantasyshroomin

New
    I didnt write that thread, but it is exactly what i have, i read that post today and I copy it and pasted it to this thread today. it still doesnt answer anything. as to why it is attracted to a strong magnet.

14. furryfrog02

The reason it is attracted to a magnet is because it is plated with something magnetic...

BadThad and jallengomez like this.
  15. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

I don't think so. The edge looks silver color. I think someone somehow altered to edge. US mint would never produce coins with copper center and ferrous edge. Makes no sense. PMD.

16. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

As furry said, it was plated with something that has magnetic properties. Happens all the time.

BadThad likes this.
  17. fantasyshroomin

the edges are a silvery color and the wear on the raised parts of the penny are silvery looking also.

18. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

electroplated with nickel, which is magnetic.

19. tj carr

tj carr New Member

20. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Why not just write your own then?

21. tj carr

tj carr New Member

ok here we go again, makn the feds unhappy again......... .they may have done it and deny it....LETS CHECK THIS ONE Put the magnifier to it 1)shiney yellow color, 2) most high spots show wear thru, color grey, 3)check edge and rim for nicks, scratches and wear thru, color grey........if any of the grey color is copper the coin is plated. Keep lookn............on the reverse side is mr Lincoln home, and sitting real pretty nice and clear (verify with any current shiney penny) I MEAN NO LOSS OF DETAIL by excess plating....please scan in and post both sides of coin. I need to see this one. Could be a mint test planchet......tj

Draft saved Draft deleted