I have a question about this Bust Half...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jtlee321, Apr 2, 2015.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I just submitted this to the problem coin thread (Due to the scratches on the reverse). After comparing it to others and looking at what appears to be metal flow shadows (I'm guessing at this). Does this Bust Half appear to be just weakly struck or is something else going on? It does not appear to have any of the denticles on the obverse or reverse. But the edge lettering is there albeit a bit weak looking. This is my first Capped Bust coin I have purchased.
    1827 Bust Half obverse.jpg
    1827 Bust Half reverse.jpg

gronnh20 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Looks like a combination of a weak strike which is quite common for Bust halves , and wear . Also looks like it might have been cleaned . Congrats on your 1st Busty , if you're like most of us that collect these great coins you'll soon have many more . Is that a scan ? I ask because the surface looks grainy to me .

mark_h likes this.
  4. jtlee321

It's a photo taken without a macro lens with a single light source. So the image is cropped and at 100% of it's available resolution, hence it's digital noise in the 1/20th of a second exposure. Looking at the surface under 10X magnification the coin looks fine. No graininess. The only thing is the flow lines in the silver out towards the stars on the obverse and it can also be seen on the reverse.

5. jtlee321

I picked her up for $30.00. I thought it was a pretty good deal. The dealer also had a Draped Bust Half which I think I recall being an 1807 with pretty heavy wear and what he had marked on the 2x2 as "Plating" (Not sure what that meant), but it was marked at $50.00 I believe. I'm considering going back tomorrow to possibly pick it up as well. The Capped Bust Half was originally marked $40.00, so I'm hoping he will be as flexible on the price for the Draped Bust.

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

To me it screams "abrasively cleaned".
    Also a late die state.
    Note how the stars and letters reach out to the rim and the metal flow lines in between the stars and letters and the rim.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I think the dealer thought is was cleaned and damaged for the price. Still at $30 I do not think it was a bad deal. Now from the pictures it looks like hairline and the scratches - so I think cleaned, but would want to see it in hand. Have fun...

PS - now you are hooked. You should look for a nice PCGS(or ngc) F to VF example to see what they look like. Next thing you need to do is learn how to attribute them and get the overton number.

rzage likes this.
  8. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Something doesn't look right to me. Since, the dentils are missing and without coin in hand I'll say O-141. I am so glad I bought a book on die marriages. I probably would not have bought that coin. Even for $30, which is a good deal.

9. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Welcome to the wonderful world of busties. A word of warning...
    THEY'RE ADDICTIVE!

As Gronnh20 says above your coin is a later die state example of O-141. The reason that you don't see any denticles is because of die erosion, not a weak strike. By the time your coin was struck the denticles were simply no longer present on the dies. Although cleaned and scratched for 30 bucks you got a reasonably good deal.

10. jtlee321

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I wish I had a better lens for taking photos of my coins. I'll try taking some photo's of it with my phone at different angles. I totally get what you are referring to about it appearing cleaned. There are a few small scratches across the high points, but the fields in hand appear to look like normal wear. I'll see what I can do about getting some better photos to show the surface.

But your right!! I've been bitten by the bug now. The Bust Bug is pretty bad. Like I said earlier, I think I'm returning today to take a look at that Draped Bust Half he still had.

rzage likes this.
  11. jtlee321

OK, She has been cleaned. Here are some close ups to see. Thank you guys for your opinions. I really do appreciate them.

IMG_3824.JPG IMG_3825.JPG IMG_3826.JPG IMG_3827.JPG IMG_3828.JPG IMG_3829.JPG IMG_3830.JPG IMG_3831.JPG IMG_3832.JPG IMG_3833.JPG

12. jtlee321

And a few more images...

IMG_3837.JPG IMG_3838.JPG IMG_3839.JPG IMG_3840.JPG IMG_3841.JPG IMG_3842.JPG IMG_3843.JPG IMG_3844.JPG IMG_3845.JPG IMG_3846.JPG

13. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Looks like a cleaned and scratched VF.
    Still a nice looking coin with some good detail left, and I agree with others that $30 sounds pretty good.

14. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Good pickup for $30. The coin has nice character.

15. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I would have bought her for $30 just to give her a home , plus I'm addicted to these things . Now like Mark said you need to get the Parsley book for Overton #s .

16. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

No biggie, most coins that old have been cleaned in one fashion or another. At $30, you did good.

17. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

PET PEAVE ALERT

The Overton book, not the Parsley book. Don edited the last couple of editions of his father-in-law's work. He didn't write it. At most, he deserves 2nd authorship billing.

18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Saw it on eBay for $119. Good luck.

19. chip

chip Novice collector

I have bought worse busties.

20. jtlee321

Haha!! Yeah, I put or best offer. I figured if she sells, I'll try to move up to a better conditioned one. If not, she'll have a nice home here..

21. jtlee321

I wen't back to look at the Draped Bust Half (or so I thought it was). It turned out what it was is a silver plated large cent. An 1803. Some of the plating was worn off. Looks like somebody back in the day was trying to turn 1 cent into 50 cents.. I passed on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted